Quantcast

Thread: 6 button reverse engineering?

Default 6 button reverse engineering?

after the backlighted vmu i'm thinking about making DC's controller more functional(i'm considering motion sensing too!).
    i've already started to mod my junkyest one, i've simply added rubber on the analog and made the wire comes out from the right side. It's just the first step (trust me, the analogic with rubber feels REALLY better!)

now, i have an empty hole on bottom,

so i would like to put in there a female mini din 9 (like the MD2/32x one or similar) and then make a "9-din to Db9 connector" cord. so i could plug a MD controller into the adaptor cord and plug it to the controller, so i don't have to mod it.

as we know, genesis controllers aren't just "button to wire", so i would like to know if is it possible to reverse the controller data output and make circuitery to transform it in 11 different outputs (up, down, left, right, start, a, b, c, x, y, z) then wire each one to their counterparts inside the dc controller (the result should be like a classic controller like the Wii, but with Sega's stuffs! ^^ )

It's Mathmatics Master of Shinobi 64k's Avatar

I used to put those teeny tiny black rubber bands around my analogue sticks, made them feel 10000x better.

goot luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrid View Post
    so i would like to know if is it possible to reverse the controller data output and make circuitery to transform it in 11 different outputs (up, down, left, right, start, a, b, c, x, y, z)
    It's not going to be eazy. The 3-button pad only uses a simple 74LS157 multiplexer for "encoding", and it needs this circuit for decoding:
    (not my design)

I had a crack at making a 6-button encoder some time ago (a circuit that does the same as the chip in the 6-button controller):

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2266.0

I never got it to work 100%, and I can only imagine that the decoding circuit will be pretty nasty to make

thanks for the infos!
    hell yes, it looks harder than i tought. I hope to figure it out!

i want to add a buit in rumble too. i saw some 3rd party controllers with it, the only trouble is most of them have a fugly and odd design, i'm searching fo a particular one, it was made by "Topway", this one:

it's design is identical the original and had built in rumble, i want to use his board and put it in an original one.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

DC has the best analog so far, nice, responsive and stiff enough (my main gripe with others is that they're too loose...).

6button encoder is quite pain to make, without a CPLD you'll end up with over 8 logic chips...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

did you already figured out a complete encoder with both? about the cpld i guess i can't put it on a perfboard put it would need to be soldered on a printed pcb.. (and most important, tools and knowledge to program it!), logic chips sounds much easier to do, but i guess the complete board would be really big and could not fit inside the dc controller, isn't it?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

I never finished my encoder, I got quite far with it but I did not work out the final part of it which dealt with timeout condition.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

i see, so i think the md controller port will be the last mod (or attempt), i'll work on buit-in rumble and motion before

If you use a PIC chip, you can just use programming to read 6 button pads instead of hardware... much easier.

yeah, it would be really compact, but i have to admit my knowledge in elecronic is fairly limited,
    i know basics to repair electronic stuff, but nothing about how to design them...
    i should learn to program the PIC (or CPLD as TmEE said) from scratch, and most important learn how the MD controller's encoding works (EDIT: or at least learn to understand the avable infos online about it) , wich is fascinating, but i have to spend a loooong time on it (and math is my nemesis, this doesn't help >_< )

If you look at the source for Wolf32X, I have the six button and mouse reading routines commented rather well. It's 68000 code, but it could easily be turned into PIC code.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training bootsector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    I never finished my encoder, I got quite far with it but I did not work out the final part of it which dealt with timeout condition.
    You can use mine:

https://github.com/bootsector/smd-sixbutton-encoder

It worked great with an EPM7064SL CPLD

P.S.: For some reason I can't create new topics, so I couldn't announce this encoder. Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bootsector View Post
    You can use mine:

https://github.com/bootsector/smd-sixbutton-encoder

It worked great with an EPM7064SL CPLD

P.S.: For some reason I can't create new topics, so I couldn't announce this encoder. Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.
    Thanks for bumping this, this is really interesting stuff. I wish I knew about it back when I was developing my Uni-Gen-- would have saved me some work! My design is improved over the above image, thankfully.

One of the reasons I like to use off-the-shelf logic instead of CPLDs is because of how fast CPLDs go obsolete. It really is a bummer.
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 05-06-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Thread Information