Quantcast

Thread: Sega game Gear cleaning

Default Sega game Gear cleaning

How do I clean the inside part that the cartridges connect to? I want to clean the part without damaging the console.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Take some rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, some Q-tips and a GG cart. Wet a q-tip with the alcohol and run it along the cartridge's edge connector. Then repeatedly insert and remove the cartridge from the cart slot. Occasionally dry the cartridge then wet it again with the rubbing alcohol and Q-tips. Continue this whole process until you think the cartridge comes out clean. Let everything dry for 10 - 20 minutes before testing.

You could also take a credit card, an eyeglass cleaning cloth, and isopropyl.

Get the cloth lightly damp with the isopropyl, wrap it around the smaller part of the card, and insert and remove it until you're happy with it

Thanks for the help. I have gotten a little further with the old game gear. When I turn it on it makes hissing noises and the systems power shuts off. I'm using a dc adaptor to run the system. I have tried 2 different dc adaptors with the same voltage and it does the same thing. I actually had a couple times have the game audio going but without video. Yes I know I haven't gotten that much further in getting the handheld console to work but that's a start I guess. Can anyone please tell what the systems problem could be. Most of the time it just make odd hissing noises. When I bought the thing at a yard sale this morning I was told it would work. I still haven't managed to get any picture to show on the thing no mattar what game I try. I got a 6 game set with two dc adaptors and the game gear for 5 dollars. The games are
    sonic
    sonic 2
    Batman forever
    X-men mojo world
    super columns
    Dragon:Bruce Lee Story

Check that it outputs 9V, and it has the correct polarity (which I can't find). Have you tried batteries?

The voltage is definitely correct. I will get some batteries tommorrow to test to see if It's just a bad connection with the adaptors. If the batteries get the machine to work then I will try to find a way to connect it without dc adaptors.

edit:I did more thorough cleaning and got the machine to play a games audio every time it's turned on but still no video. Batteries that I just got brand new aren't getting me any further. I just need video and then this thing works. Is there any way I can connect the system to a tv to see if I can get the video comming from the tv.
    Last edited by sega_game; 05-23-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Thread Information