Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast in 1080p through Atlona vga-to-hdmi converter; too good to be true?

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    how old is it? I just got a "just out" Insignia LCD with a VGA input, I hope it works with the DC signal...

I don't see why it doesn't work, it has a scaler on it, but I noticed on my laptop it was also pretty refresh rate picky.. Like, it preferred 59.9 and not 60Hz at 1920x1080, go figure.. .1 difference pissed it off. But a firmware update fixed that, but not the DC issue.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    Mine is hooked up VGA to a 37" Vizio - looks awesome! Alot cleaner than my Component Video Nintendo Wii.... I'm gonna have to get some better cables for that Wii...
    The Chinese made an excellent Wii VGA cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170483677788

It uses the Wii's digital Y'CbCr signal and transcodes it into RGBHV (aka VGA).
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    The Chinese made an excellent Wii VGA cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170483677788

It uses the Wii's digital Y'CbCr signal and transcodes it into RGBHV (aka VGA).
    That would be cool if I had 2 VGA inputs on my TV....

I don't see the Wii supporting digital Component output.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...ulti_av_pinout

I read that the DAC is internal to the console, and all the outputs are analog.. But I do see RGB output on it, but only if it's not NTSC.. I'm a little confused as to how that adapter works..
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

The Wii is a SDTV system, not HDTV. Nintendo is waiting another generation (or two) before doing an HD system.

I run my Dreamcast into a 21" TIMM via VGA. It looks awesome!

Remember when the N64 was advertised as being HDTV compatible? Never saw that happen.. Best it ever did was 640x480 interlaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    The Wii is a SDTV system, not HDTV.
    That's not entirely true. The Wii is an EDTV = HDTV compatible system.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I don't see the Wii supporting digital Component output.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...ulti_av_pinout

I read that the DAC is internal to the console, and all the outputs are analog.. But I do see RGB output on it, but only if it's not NTSC.. I'm a little confused as to how that adapter works..
    This paragraph explains it I think:
    "If RGB is available, VGA should also be, since VGA is just non-interlaced (progressive) RGB. The system is obviously capable of VGA-resolution output, the trick will be enabling RGB & non-interlaced at the same time."

EDIT: Oh, wait, RGB is PAL only ?!
    Last edited by retrospiel; 06-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    There's also this, which is only $40:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=1&format=2%22
    I have this very converter and it works (or worked) great. This comes with the following warnings:

1. After using the converter for a few months, I'm now getting a screwy purple picture from my DC. Unfortunately, I don't know whether this is the result of the converter itself crapping out on me or the VGA cable (I haven't tested this yet).

2. After making what would be my first and last ever purchase from Monoprice, I subsequently had my debit card information stolen through a security fuck-up on their site, which is pretty awesome, needless to say.

So, maybe just stick with your first choice, SpoDaddy:

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    I was looking for a way to hook up my Dreamcast to my Plasma (which has no VGA input) without it looking like crap, and stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Scaler-.../dp/B00384D67O
    Amazon Review:
    Works Great with Dreamcast!!!!

This review is from: Atlona Vga To Hdmi Scaler Convert Vga To Hdmi 1080P W/ Audio
    I bought this for one reason, To use on my Dreamcast and it works great upscales it and looks awesome with some fine tuning(color,sharpness) on my picture settings on the 42' samsung HDTV I own and it looked great. The converter is plug and play but I used a monster cable usb wall charger because the Dreamcast does not have a usb outlet so I dont see any other way of doing it without that charger so buy one(any usb wall charger should work just make sure its of decent length to reach youre power outlets) if you dont have one already. All in all this product works great with the Dreamcast, you may think im crazy for spending around $86 to bring my Dreamcast to the big screen with great results I must add but it was worth it for sure.

Pros: Dreamcast vga 480p to 1080p converter need I say more auto puts it to the screens native rez,simple and works also with hdmi to DVI cables for those wondering I tried it out but you need to hook the sound up from the Dreamcast Vga box because DVI does not carry over sound like HDMI does

cons: kind of expensive just to upscale and convert vga to hdmi for my Dremacast but im not dissapointed so it was worth it the Dream is never dead
    I don't think it is expensive at all for what it does.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 06-07-2010 at 05:06 PM.

This paragraph explains it I think:
    "If RGB is available, VGA should also be, since VGA is just non-interlaced (progressive) RGB. The system is obviously capable of VGA-resolution output, the trick will be enabling RGB & non-interlaced at the same time."
    But don't forget this part, for American gamers.

Unlike the GameCube, the Digital→Analogue Convertor (DAC) is inside the Wii, so enabling RGB on NTSC consoles some internal hacking will be required (if it's possible at all).
    Though, still the adapter isn't handling Digital signals. It's probably transcoding the analog Y/Pr/Pb to VGA, which can be done rather easily as you can do it the other way easily too.

Hm, I think it's using the D-Terminal's output:

14, 15, 16pins are using on Japanese D-Terminal Cable.
    Data Line 1: 0V = 525 lines (default) ; 2.2V = 750 lines ; 5V = 1125 lines
    Data Line 2: 0V = 59.94i / 60i ; 5V = 59.94p / 60p
    Data Line 3: 0V = 4:3 ; 2.2V = 4:3 letterbox ; 5V = 16:9
    Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Terminal - seems to be analog Y'PbPr as well

I don't know, those more look like a form of DDC, like what VGA has. Just for automatic cable selection, but seeing line configuration is interesting, because i can see 480, 720 and 1080 (viewable lines, as those lines are total raster lines it seems).

The real problem I see with the wii is the obscene amounts of jaggies in progressive mode. It looks like it's doing some lazy de-interlacing technique, but the odd thing is that N64 and GC games look smoother than Wii games..

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    It sucks my Samsung 40" 530 series won't work with the Dreamcast VGA signal, but works fine with any other 640x480 60Hz signal..
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    Cause you got a cheap Samsung!! Vizio is where it's at!! Best Bang for your Buck! Of course you can get better TV's... But it was the best deal and NOT a shitty TV! Best "LCD" out there for sure!
    I have a 52" Samsung A630 series television. The DC doesn't work with its VGA port either.

My Television was selling for @ $2300 last year, but I got it for $1,500. I thought I was going to buy a Sony, until I saw what Samsung had to offer. Their televisions outperform Sony's when it comes to bang for the buck.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

EDTV is only 720x480 progressive instead of 720x480 interlace. It's not HD by a long shot. HDTVs will accept ED, but they (nearly always) accept SD as well.

Progressive IS much better than interlace, so I will give you that the Wii is better than systems that only output interlace at that resolution. However, it's still not as good as the PS2 - the PS2 could output 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Granted, no one ever did more than 480p for games, but it was capable of it. Some homebrew (video players in particular) support all those modes, plus VGA RGB.

Thread Information