Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

Default TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

How many of us grew up playing the Ninja Turtles arcade and NES games? Seriously, these wonderful games were a major part of many gamer's diet back in the early '90s, and it was always exciting to see home versions released. Imagine the excitement then, when Konami announced a classic Turtles beat-'em-up for the Genesis! Thing was, it was a little too classic, and it depended a bit too much on previous outings. Still, it was the Turtles on the Genesis, and gamers enjoyed the chance to beat down Shredder and the Foot Clan on their console. Was it worth the wait though? Read our full review and find out.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-05-2011 at 12:51 AM.

I agree with that review, Hyperstone Heist was a good game but it seemed like a mish mashed version of the previous games. It also seemed a bit too heavy on bosses, especially in that ice cave level. I don't know if 4 players could have been handled by the genesis in such a game, but certainly not on the snes. It would have been a great addition though.

One thing I simply do not like about most Konami Genesis games is that they ran in low resolution (256x224) and thusly looked like crap compared to real games. I think Rocket Knight Adventures runs in the full 320x224 and look at how much better that looks. The low-res games always look muddy by comparison, and TMNT was no exception. I used to own it and thought the same thing back then. I'd buy it back today... if it was complete, in good condition, and $6 or less.

The music was pretty good, though. I must have skipped over that part of the review.

I beat this game coutless times when I was, like, 7. Then I played the SNES version at a friends house. Got my ass kicked.

Didn't really realize why till years later.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

My junior year in high school a friend brought his Nomad in with a spare controller, the day before Christmas break was to begin. This was one of the games he brought with him, and we spent the entirety of our time in Physical Science class finishing it.

True story.

Bahh, it's a soulless rehash. The game doesn't even try to make sense of its level progression.. there's no flow to the stages at all, and the attempted storyline is laughable. The inane repetition of "The Gauntlet" just saddened me. Controls are even slightly a hassle, as grabs are for some reason more difficult to execute than in Turtles in Time. Konami may as well have just done a straight port of Turtles IV instead of this.

Barely a 6 as far as I'm concerned.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I think like most people I would've liked this a lot better had I not played Turtles in Time first. This game was one of the reasons that SNES fans said the Genesis had the inferior multi-system games.

It seems like Konami always screwed up the genesis versions of their arcade ports, while the SNES versions were nearly arcade perfect. Sunset Riders is another example.

Funny how they never ported Gradius 3.

Nameless One

I loved those Ninja Turtle cartoons. Bebop and Rocksteady were REALLY STUPID! They looked stupid, they talked stupid, they acted stupid, they could never get anything done right whatever The Shredder wanted them to do. Don was my favourite. The fun part of those old school games was beating the shit out of Bebop and Rocksteady, cause they were just plain stupid. The Shredder was voiced by James Avery (a.k.a. "UNCLE PHIL" from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air").

Quote Originally Posted by hadjiquest
    I loved those Ninja Turtle cartoons. Bebop and Rocksteady were REALLY STUPID!
    But April O'Neil sure was built!

I owned this game too. I agree with the review ont he score. It's just a recycled game like everyone has pointed out with the same scenes from turtles in time. It was fun and short with no replayability since even with the difficulty on hard it was still too easy.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    But April O'Neil sure was built!

MMM MMM MMM!

Too bad you couldn't play as her in HSH. XD
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

"Repetition", "Recycle", and "Rubbish" are three great words to describe this game.

Thread Information