Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist

Banned by Administrators

I don't know, playing these games on hard for the first time doesn't seem that bad at all, and kinda feels like it should of been the noraml difficulty level? For HH the enemies seem harder so far then in TiT, while for TiT some of the bosses seem to be the real obsticles? Made it to last level on HH and couldn't even reach Krang as them freakin foot soldier kicked my butt so bad?! Never thought I'd get handed to bad by just foot soldiers. Seems like they really get mean by the last level or just me losing my focus by that time? Need to play more to varify? Plus furthest I made it in TiT was Slash, so foot soldiers in TiT may reach HH difficulty by last level too? Will give an update after more playtime to better varify things.

Shredder ain't that bad now, beat him last time with losing 2 full energy bars, then only one life for the last time I played. Slash is the brick wall for me now. Last I got to him I continued two more times (with lives set to max) and still lost. Closest I got was getting him down to his last energy bar. I think I know enough to get him down to a science, just got to get a better hang of it. Playing as Mike seems the worst for Slash by far, as when you wake up, you can't defend yourself from getting slashed. Since the only way to defend yourself is by attacking Slash first, but since Mike's attacks seem to hit at such a slow rate, you can't get your first attack out fast enough. So instant hit or more everytime. >_< The trick to beating Slash seems to be by making him jump by you jumping yourself, and when he lands be sure to be in position to attack as that's when he's vulnerable to attacks before he starts blocking again.

So you see, playing on the easier normal difficutly, your not being pushed to figure out tactics on how to better improve, since you can just brute force yourself through the game with zero skills needed. So much more fun when the game forces you to actually learn how to properly play a game, no? Don't need to worry about if you can't make it that far, cause it should still be very fun even if you get only as far as Game Over screen. And hey, Game Over screen actually looks cooler then the ending.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

This is an okay game. You should try it out.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Phexar View Post
    and it felt easier to do the slamming combos in that game.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. I'm pretty sure the reason why it seems easier is because in TiT you were always pretty much set for one move or the other. While in HH, since one of the throw moves has been removed, it leaves you with only one right way. You either have it, or not. Unlike the win, win scenario of TiT. But this easily fixed with me explaining how too do these moves at will everytime.

I also preferred the double-tap to run in TiT instead of a run button in HH.
    OK, I have to call BS on this one. Why? Because the double tap to dash option has been programmed in kinda screwy. Unlike all the other double tap dash games like Streets of Rage 3 where is was done right. How was it done wrong here? Well first of all you don't have to hold on the second tap to start it, which causes a chain reaction that leads into the next problem. 2 taps always = a dash. Tap it 3x and you get no dash. See how wrong this is? It becomes impossible in the heat of the battle to keep track of how many times you've tapped it already. This leading to accidentally dashing when not wanting, or not dashing at all when wanting it, lol. What a mess. And I've tried for awhile to make sense of why it was working sometimes while others not? Until I figured this was the cause and it's totally hopeless, unless you really pro at keeping track of it or playing it safe... but you still have to be really pro to avoid doing it by accident.

So yeah, it's not possible for anyone to prefer the way double dash was programmed in TiT. Right now I just came off a very upseting run on just the first level trying to kill everyone with the dash kick move, since that move kills all in one hit plus give me a point of 1. This way I can easily count how many enemies in each stage. But I'm basically giving up due to the BS nightmare that is the double dash in this game. Since it always goes off when I don't want it, or not when I want it & to top it off I end up doing a 2 bar energy draining special instead. ROAR! Does that ever suck! >_<

So yeah, HH on the Genesis for the way easy win on this matter for sure. No contest. To refuse is to be wrong. Er, well, I at least wouldn't be able to make sense of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I take it you haven't played TiT on the hard difficulty, as otherwise I don't think you'd be saying what I quoted above?
    Okay, so I've been playing and went and completed both games on hard difficulty. All I can say so far is 'eh'. The Genesis bosses were a pushover for me except for Super Krang (who I thought was even worse than Slash - I really hate fighting him) and Super Shredder (who was easier than the SNES version since he tends to dart around to the left and right instead of all over the place making him more predictable to work with). The Gauntlet was a breeze too - my problem with the stage was it's hefty recycling, not it's difficulty. I found it to be the easiest stage in the game.

SNES boss-wise, Shredder wasn't too bad for me to fight even on hard, the only addition being that I just kept dashing around to knock the mooks off-balance so I could throw them at him. Slash and Super Shredder were the most difficult bosses in the game - the latter gets a lot faster on both versions of the game at that (though the Genesis one had an easier movement pattern, which I don't consider a bad thing especially after fighting Genesis-Super Krang). The rest of the bosses didn't go too badly though.

For HH the enemies seem harder so far then in TiT, while for TiT some of the bosses seem to be the real obsticles?
    Seems a bit more like it.

Playing as Mike seems the worst for Slash by far, as when you wake up, you can't defend yourself from getting slashed.
    Which is part of why I hate fighting Genesis-Super Krang in general, he knocks you down, laughs, and then sucker punches you as soon as you get up. Best to avoid getting knocked down by both him and Slash if at all possible, even if you have to take more time for it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I'm pretty sure the reason why it seems easier is because in TiT you were always pretty much set for one move or the other. While in HH, since one of the throw moves has been removed, it leaves you with only one right way. You either have it, or not. Unlike the win, win scenario of TiT. But this easily fixed with me explaining how too do these moves at will everytime.
    Nope, it still felt easier to do both slams and throws in TiT... but that could be just me. Like I said, it just feels like they have a bigger 'grab area' on them. Now that I know how to slam properly though, I was able pull it off a ton in HH which helped alleviate one of the main problems I had when playing before. But one point in HH's favour I will add was that while I found it harder to perform slams, I found it a lot easier than TiT to perform aerial attacks. Performing the fast drop kick in TiT felt more off whereas I was able to pull it off almost every time in HH with no trouble at all.

OK, I have to call BS on this one. Why? Because the double tap to dash option has been programmed in kinda screwy. Unlike all the other double tap dash games like Streets of Rage 3 where is was done right. How was it done wrong here? Well first of all you don't have to hold on the second tap to start it, which causes a chain reaction that leads into the next problem. 2 taps always = a dash. Tap it 3x and you get no dash. See how wrong this is?
    So yeah, it's not possible for anyone to prefer the way double dash was programmed in TiT.
    Almost. Looking at it again, the dash doesn't reset very 'cleanly' and takes previous movement into account too much, possibly for chaining purposes which doesn't work as well in practice. I wouldn't say it's a straight case of 3 taps = no dash and SoR characters do start to dash on the second tap as well. But I noted that in TiT it even includes aerial movement - leaping forward in the air and then tapping on the ground can start a run, which is something SoR doesn't have. And I already responded on my preference for the double-tap earlier.

On the dash thing, I'm used to playing beat-em-ups with a double-tap built in, feels like I have some more control over it than a button dash.
    ^^ That, take it or leave it, different tastes. Having said that, after playing around with the run button a lot in Hyperstone Heist, it did seem to feel like it worked even smoother than running in Streets of Rage, though I would favour the special button in SoR over a run button if I had to choose. The SNES had enough buttons to make sure that both a run and special button could have been used if possible though, and it's unfortunate that they didn't take advantage of that there either. I would argue it's still possible for someone to prefer the double-tap though, and overall it didn't bother me terribly much and I was able to run around just fine about 90% of the time.

Though basically while I enjoy HH more than I used to, the stages still felt like they were dragging on to a point. Except for stage 3 which felt like it has a more even length on it for what it is. I liked the music in HH a bit more too.

Banned by Administrators

You found Super Krang harder in the Genesis version?! I found he was only a bitch in the SNES version, lol. I found all the Genesis bosses either easier or tonned down. Which I don't mind cause I prefer my focus on game levels then bosses, a la classic Gradius series.

I also found the Genesis version removed all annoying things I found in the SNES version. ie. Those blocking guys move way too much back after every blocked hit, forcing you to keep moving up so that your final combo string that actually bypasses their blocking hits. In the Genesis version you can stand still and still get that hit to connect as they don't get knocked back nearly as much. ... They seem to move super fast in SNES version too? Which I think may not be as fast in Genesis version, maybe?

Annoying enemies & bosses were removed, like; Slash (though still a big fan of this character, so yeah, I miss him); last version of Krang in that machine thingy (man I hate when he runs away + leaves those annoying robots, lol) foot soldiers that throw them bomerang forearm things; Dinosaurs that run you over; etc.

TiT is actually pretty focused on score like how NES TMNT III was. ie. finishing an enemy with the screen throw gives you what seems to be the max of 3 points; Body Slam 2 points; Combo chain finisher 2 points; Dashing kick 2 points; Regular attack 1 point; And so on. While for the Genesis version it's all 1 point for everything, so it don't incourage scoring + it's broken by the Tatsu & Stockman bosses since they send what seems to be an infinite amount of enemies? Nothing that breaks it for TiT that I can think of? So something that may seriously affect someone's decision when choosing a favourite between the two.

The Genesis version seems to toss more regular foot soldier at you then the SNES version. I have the numbers for the Genesis version, but it's harder to get for the SNES version due to it being score based.

TMNT HH - Total Enemies = 763 (no bosses or one hit wonders like Pizza Monsters included for all games)

Sewer #1 = 77
    New York = 75
    Sewer = 46
    Surfing = XXX (bonus level)
    Ship = 91
    Cave #1 = 62
    Japan = 76
    Dojo = 94
    Cave #2 XXX (Boss Rush)
    Technodrome = 177
    Elevator - 65
    TOTAL OF 9 REAL STAGES & 2 BONUS STAGES

TiT - rough enemy estimate (if we cut the score in half for SNES) SNES = 437; Arcade = 468

Rooftop; SNES = 50; AC = 43
    New York; SNES = 61; AC = 54
    Surfing; SNES = XX; AC = 55
    Technodrome; SNES = 45; AC = XX
    Elevator; SNES = 25; AC = XX
    Prehistoric; SNES = 64; AC = 56
    Ship; SNES = 51; AC = 46
    Train; SNES = 62; AC = 72
    Neon Nightrider; SNES = XX; AC = 48
    Krang Spaceship; SNES = 88; AC = 94
    TOTAL OF 8 REAL STAGES & 2 BONUS STAGES

I'll work on getting the correct SNES numbers, maybe later? But these should give you a pretty good idea anyways. And it fits in with why you think the Genesis version seems to go on for too long or however you worded it? (Dragging on?) But looking it at level by level & excluding the two bonus levels each game has (let's say the Genesis Boss Rush is the second bonus level), the Genesis version does have more levels, at 9 VS 8 (though the Sewer level basically repeats with only a small change, it's still a really good scene & much better then nothing. Unlike the Cave repeating >_<). Combine that with more foot soldiers and... why's everyone saying it's shorter?

Also, I freaking hate what they did with Neon Nightrider stage in the SNES version. It's nothing but a total waste now as nothing but a mode 7 tech demo. :P They should of left it to be a real stage like how it was in the Arcade. Ditto for Sewer Surfing stage, though that one ain't near as bad as the mode 7 BS. What a waste. Especially with such a killer theme. >_<

Oh, and you enjoy the games more of Hard difficulty? It's not easy to going back to normal for me now...

Banned by Administrators

lol, Phexar. If I honestly had TiT right now, I would so smash the heck out of it with the biggest hammer I could find. So I have no idea how you can't possibly be having the amount of trouble I'm having with TiT serious dashing programing error? I mean wow, so I practice all the weirdness I may run into with the dashing while all alone on the screen, against the left side of the screen & anywhere on the left half of the screen. K, ready for action. But what?! What the heck is going on? Why isn't anything working like during practice? K, so turns out there's another wrench in the this whole mess. Lets say you're walking right, turn left, then double tap right for the dash. It should dash, right? Nope. You have to tap right 3x. But if you were walking right, then tapped right twice it would work. Or if walking right and tapping left twice. Or if perfectly still and tapped twice in either direction. So yeah, the BS keeps mounting on. And you never know if you have to tap twice or three times unless you really keeping track of things. But wait, now I also might have to tap 3x too?!!! No, Phexar, I don't believe this to be acceptable whatsoever. And it shouldn't be. ... Maybe I they made it so complex because in the Genesis being able to dash instantly without BS attached practically breaks the game, lol. See next paragraph too.

Also found out that grabbing should actually be easier in the Genesis version due to one major factor. Dashing. Dashing followed by a shoulder check almost always leads to a throw in the Genesis version. However in the SNES is usually leads to a back attack kick... even with back attack turned off?!! O_O

Well, I just managed to beat the Genesis version on Hard with default lives and continues (used on continue of Boss Rush & Last Boss). While for the SNES it looks like it's gonna be a pain? You know, I could get to Slash with at least one life to spare if I could dash at will, but nope, the SNES version has to overly complicate things... and seriously piss me off at the same time. >_< So I get to Slash mad hungry for a pizza instead, lol.

I can see myself 1cc'ing the Genesis version without much issues soon too... just don't ask me to do the same for the SNES anytime soon. So yes. Genesis version way easier then SNES, is my conclusion at this moment. Cause being able to dash instantly & at will in the Genesis version kicks too much butt. And to more you get used to it, the more the SNES version sucks. Sadly. ... Any good hackers here capable of adding SNES dash to one of the many spare buttons?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

A very playable scrolling beat-'em-up with great graphics, sound and gameplay that also features the four famous pizza scoffing turtles. What's not to like? Konami made some absolute gems back in the 90's and this is one of them. Great fun on your own but bloody brilliant with somebody by your side even if it is too easy. I never played Turtles In Time (TIT? Seriously? lol) on the SNES so I can't compare HH to it but from what I can gather they are both great games in which the similarities between them far outweigh the differences.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

You should play TiT. It's a lot better than this is.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    You should play TiT. It's a lot better than this is.
    Meh, they're both about the same. TiT has more effort put into it and feels like a complete game, but HH controls better, has better music, and is more challenging.

I can't really put one over the other since as beat em ups, they're pretty shallow compared to other options you had on the Genesis and SNES. They're both fun romps.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Recently play this version for the first time as well as beating the game and I must say, the game itself is pretty freaking good.

Can't help but notice that the soundtrack of the game is closer to the arcade than the snes version.
    It feels more alive, the bass feels heavier and clearer on the genesis. From what I'm hearing, also has more instruments playing in the background.
    Last, the songs are completed with the voices.

In the Starbase theme, both the arcade and genesis tracks have the, "HEY, HEY ,HEY!" playing during the song.
    Arcade

Genesis

SNES

So I do prefer the Genesis OST of this game over the snes version.
    If anyone is looking for a review that truly talks about the goods of this version, check out Bracey's M. review on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJBFGAJagg
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I wholeheartedly agree about the Genesis OST being superior and much closer to the arcade, and yeah the bass is beautiful. I love the soundtrack for HH, and although I'm getting tired of saying this, it's one of the best on the machine.

Certainly the best in terms of Konami on Genesis IMO.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Recently play this version for the first time as well as beating the game and I must say, the game itself is pretty freaking good.

Can't help but notice that the soundtrack of the game is closer to the arcade than the snes version.
    It feels more alive, the bass feels heavier and clearer on the genesis. From what I'm hearing, also has more instruments playing in the background.
    Last, the songs are completed with the voices.

In the Starbase theme, both the arcade and genesis tracks have the, "HEY, HEY ,HEY!" playing during the song.

So I do prefer the Genesis OST of this game over the snes version.
    If anyone is looking for a review that truly talks about the goods of this version, check out Bracey's M. review on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJBFGAJagg
    Well, that was a refreshing opinion of this game. I always thought that the music was quite good and fit with the game's overall pacing.

It's good to see Bracey's channel get recommended. For those of you who are not familiar with his youtube channel, i highly recommend that you check out his library of videos. I find them quite informative and enjoy listening to all of his reviews.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    TMNT HH - Total Enemies = 763 (no bosses or one hit wonders like Pizza Monsters included for all games)

Sewer #1 = 77
    New York = 75
    Sewer = 46
    Surfing = XXX (bonus level)
    Ship = 91
    Cave #1 = 62
    Japan = 76
    Dojo = 94
    Cave #2 XXX (Boss Rush)
    Technodrome = 177
    Elevator - 65
    TOTAL OF 9 REAL STAGES & 2 BONUS STAGES
    I get almost the same numbers if ignoring bosses, pizza monsters, pink foot soldiers and stage 2 area 1.

Code:
         Stage 1 Area 1   77
         Stage 1 Area 2   75
         Stage 1 Area 3   44
         Stage 2 Area 1    0
         Stage 2 Area 2   92
         Stage 2 Area 3   63
         Stage 3 Area 1   78
         Stage 3 Area 2   96
         Stage 3 Area 3    0
         Stage 4 Area 1    0
         Stage 5 Area 1  179
         Stage 5 Area 2   65
         Stage 5 Area 3    0
                  Total  769
    And the numbers for easy and normal:
    Code:
         Stage 1 Area 1   56
         Stage 1 Area 2   56
         Stage 1 Area 3   32
         Stage 2 Area 1    0
         Stage 2 Area 2   75
         Stage 2 Area 3   46
         Stage 3 Area 1   60
         Stage 3 Area 2   74
         Stage 3 Area 3    0
         Stage 4 Area 1    0
         Stage 5 Area 1  142
         Stage 5 Area 2   65
         Stage 5 Area 3    0
                  Total  606
    The only enemy count difference for Japan/Europe is that stage 5 area 2 on normal has 81 enemies and on hard 82 enemies.

And here are the enemy counts for all versions including all enemies.
    Code:
    	;; 			All E	JP N		JP H
    	;; Enemy Counts		US N	EU N	US H	EU H
    	;; Boss			9	9	9	9
    	;; Robot Walker		9	9	10	10
    	;; Roadkill Rodney	17	17	26	26
    	;; Stone Warrior	29	29	33	33
    	;; Pizza Monster	49	49	52	52
    	;; Mouser		84	84	100	100
    	;; Foot Soldier		527	550	660	688
    	;; Total		664	680	827	844

Thread Information