Quantcast

Thread: Prize Fighter

Ninja Prize Fighter

The Sega CD will forever be remembered for having the largest library of FMV games around, and there are a ton of different opinions regarding the overall playability of the genre. Regardless of how you feel about them, one thing we can probably all agree on is that some FMV games should maybe never have been attempted at all due to the gameplay constraints they placed on the concept they were trying so hard to bring to life. Check out our full review of Prize Fighter and see where this one falls.

great review of a game ive been wondering about for a while.

i think ill give this one a shot, mainly to check out "judo" gene lebell's cameos on the genesis!

he is one of the greatest martial artists on the planet of all time, arguably the greatest american to ever compete in the sport of judo. he also has several protege's that have seen success in the ufc/wec(karo parysian, manny gamburyian)

ive heard rumors that the gracie family challenged him to fight the patriarch of the family relio gracie, but he declined because he could not make the weight limit imposed by the gracies.

gene lebell has been an extra, fall guy, or stunt man in literally hundreds of films and thousands of tv shows appearing alongside actors such as steven seagull and chuck norris.

low and behold the guy even appeared in a fuckin sega cd game, unbelievable!
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

I remember this being a favorite of mine back in the day. It felt like you had a a lot more control than most FMV games. I'd be curious to see how it feels today.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I still don't even know how to connect on any of the punches!
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

this was the first sega cd game i bought, i love it

with FMV games, you need to rate the movie first, the gameplay second. Dragon's Lair is a classic because of Don Blueth's animation, period.

the review forgot to mention Michael Buffer played the announcer. that doesnt seem like a big deal now, but in 1994, Buffer had yet to whore himself out to every cheeseball project and commercial his agent could find.

like the reviewer said, to land a punch, turn on the training mode. arrows will appear around the edge of the screen indicating when to throw a particular punch. with the arrows, the game simply becomes simon. and with the closeups of connecting punches, a very satisfying game of simon.

without the arrows, the game is virtually unplayable unless you memorize all the openings on each of the individual 20 second video segments.

thank you for not totally trashing this game

i just finished watching ufc 28(2000), guess who one of the judges were?

ive also learned that lebell was the referee in one of the very first ever mixed martial arts fights, ali vs inoki.

awesome!, glad to see he found his way to the genesis!!
    Last edited by Nobi; 07-15-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Thread Information