Quantcast

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Stories: The Paranormal Thread

Voice of NeverNeverLand Master of Shinobi Waterfaller's Avatar

There's still a lot that we don't know, or are aware of.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Please nobody say that "Ghost Hunters" bullshit is proof of ghosts.

Some assholes with a night vision camera point at some door closing "by itself" and they say "ghosts!"

Either Tim the Intern is hiding behind the door, or they struck gold by finding an off-balance door.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Paranormal activities... ? Really?! C'mon people, this is the 21st century.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

It being the 21st century is no argument.

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfaller View Post
    There's still a lot that we don't know, or are aware of.
    Agreed.

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    lol
    I sure as hell wouldn't do that... lol
    LOL

It being the 21st century is no argument.
    How is that no argument ?

We got access to knowledge written down during the last three or four thousand years. If you would not have this access as you never learned how to read and write I perhaps could understand to a degree that you would wrongly assume that your Mega Drive has a soul or works by magic, but you'd still be wrong.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    Please nobody say that "Ghost Hunters" bullshit is proof of ghosts.

Some assholes with a night vision camera point at some door closing "by itself" and they say "ghosts!"

Either Tim the Intern is hiding behind the door, or they struck gold by finding an off-balance door.
    Have you actually watched that show? It sure as hell doesn't sound like it. It's incredibly rare that they even label a place as "haunted" or a happening as a "ghost".

At any rate, I imagine this thread is only going to degenerate into "rational thinkers" bashing "true believers" as I've seen with every other paranormal thread in every forum I've been a part of, which is unfortunate. I do believe in the existence of spirits, or whatever you want to call them, but I also believe the majority of encounters are very likely anything but paranormal.

There's a ton of interesting shit going out out there that we don't have an explanation for, or that we may never have an explanation for. It doesn't help anything to be close-minded, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    How is that no argument ?

We got access to knowledge written down during the last three or four thousand years. If you would not have this access as you never learned how to read and write I perhaps could understand to a degree that you would wrongly assume that your Mega Drive has a soul or works by magic, but you'd still be wrong.
    But no matter how you look at it, there's still far too much that we don't know about the world.

Besides... Genesis/Mega Drive IS magic.

Funny how people think the Solar system is "out in the boonies". It's not. Look at any reasonably up to date chart of the Milky Way... like this one:
    http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/image...Way-Annotated-

As you can see, the current map has been properly updated to show the fact that the Milky Way is a BARRED spiral galaxy, and the Solar system is only about 25,000 ly from galactic central, just off the Sagittarius Arm. It's more like we're in the 'burbs than the boonies. There's hundreds of stellar systems within 30 ly of Earth.

That said, I firmly believe that the vast majority of UFO sightings on camera are bugs. Think about it - a few bugs flying right in front of the lense zipping back and forth while the clueless cameraman is zoomed all the way out trying to focus on "UFOs" miles off in the distance... that are really inches away and so out of focus that you can't see anything more than something flying back and forth in a manner that is unlike human aircraft (but totally like bugs).

Besides... Genesis/Mega Drive IS magic.
    It sure is!

Murder Victim Master of Shinobi Why-Disciple's Avatar

I once woke up in the night to find a strange, dark figure sitting in my chair, making the sound of running water. Then I realized it was my drunken roommate peeing in my chair thinking it was a toilet. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    There's a ton of interesting shit going out out there that we don't have an explanation for, or that we may never have an explanation for. It doesn't help anything to be close-minded, though.
    Close mindedness does have nothing to do with me not believing in spirits and ghosts. If you think everything you don't have an explanation for is evidence for something supernatural, it makes you closed minded yourself simply because you prohibit yourself from learning to understand what you have no explanation for.

Allow me to post the following video on this topic. It's by one of my favorite YT channels. That guy's a lot better than me at explaining the issue:

Last edited by retrospiel; 07-06-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Have you actually watched that show?
    Well, after seeing someone claim a door closing by itself as "paranormal" when the door to *my* room did that all the time (not properly balanced) I shut the crap off.

If you want me to believe in this stuff, I need to see something that isn't properly explained. Moving doors, claiming to hear noises not heard on camera, and basement rooms being cold are not ways to do so.

What I need is a free-floating, full-torso, vaporous apparition.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

I say fudge it, we all have our opinions, and we shouldn't argue over closed mindedness unless we were trying to argue that the sky was green.

Thread Information