Quantcast

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Did you fall for the 32X hype?

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Um, I think you're confusing early work on Sonic Adventure with Sonic X-treme. Here is footage of Sonic X-treme:

It's actually quite a lot like Bug!. Yeah there's a fisheye camera, but overally it's more like Bug on steroids than Sonic World/Adventure. And the recently leaked source code confirms this as when fans built it and got it running on the Saturn it's pretty much a less polished version of that video.
    Another Barone's lapdog has just obtained a role in the "Saving pitiful Barone" movie!

SOS! Please. I want to be banned from this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by LastBronx View Post
    Another Barone's lapdog has just obtained a role in the "Saving pitiful Barone" movie!

Oh how awful! What ever will we do after we've lost such a valuable member of this forum?

As for the thread,
    No, I got a saturn.

As for loosing members,
    just because you are allowed in,
    doesn't mean you belong.

I think Chilly had a good idea a while back where instead of using the ASIC and 68000 Sega should have instead gone with a part from Texas Instruments (don't remember the exact part), that did scaling and rotation with other features that would have given similar or better results for less.
    The TMS34010 processor. It's a processor/video processor all in one. It has a local host interface to connect to the main processor, local ram bus for programs and data, video ram bus for the frame buffers, and a 256 byte instruction cache. It came in speeds of 40, 50, and 60 MHz. It has BLIT instructions, as well as the ability to do parallel pixel operations with logic or arithmetic on the pixels. It supported 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 bit pixel widths. So it would have taken the place of the ASIC, 68000, and bus interface all in the same chip. However, it would have needed the same kind of RGB mixer that the 32X has, complete with the jumper AV cable. On the plus side, we wouldn't have needed the 32X. And a 2X drive would have been awesome, but a little more expensive for 91/92.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ANYTHING that can be (or was) done on the GBA could be done at least as well on the 32X. There is really only a couple advantages the GBA had: one was more colors for tile mode graphics; the 32X either relies on the MD for tile mode graphics, or draws tiles manually... which could be done by the other SH2. The other advantage the GBA had was a large address space, which allowed large roms without the need for bank switching. Since the 32X works with the Genesis, Sega decided to limit the rom size to 4MB without the mapper chip. That was a little silly for the 32X since Sega could have easily made 32X carts handle a max of 16MB of rom (max limit for the address lines on the standard cart slot pinout). The SH2 has four spaces of 32MB each for ram, hardware, etc, and one such space was fully dedicated to the cart rom. However, to save on gates, they only allow 4 of those 32 MBytes to actually be addressed without bank switching. There is support for the standard Sega mapper built into the 32X BIOS to make setting the bank registers easier, so Sega WAS counting on future 32X roms to be bigger than 4MB, but it would have been so much better if they had simply added a FEW more gate to allow the max the cart can handle... 16 MBytes.
    Damn we really did miss out on some potential quality software if that's the case. The GBA was never supposed to be a 3D power house but it certainly did some nice textured games:

I used to speak to the programmers at Pocketeers (on their forums) who did the GBA need for speed titles in the early 00s, along with a Quake demo and a few other demos. So the 32x would have been capable of so much more if it had been a success

No. Even back in the day i thought 32X was stupid and needless. It was released near the end of the Genesis systems lifespan and you do not, i repeat, do NOT release an add-on like that for a system thats almost dead. Everybody knew the next big thing would be out before long, and there would be no need for this. So why bother with this POS?

The $150 i could have WASTED for the 32X, was rightfully saved to go towards the glorious Sega Saturn instead.

Sega would have been much better suited to use the money & resources to develop a cheaper version of the Sega Virtual Chip instead. And releasing more games like that. It would have been so incredibly awesome to have solid ports of titles like Virtua Fighter on Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    However, it would have needed the same kind of RGB mixer that the 32X has, complete with the jumper AV cable. On the plus side, we wouldn't have needed the 32X. And a 2X drive would have been awesome, but a little more expensive for 91/92.
    Honestly, considering the original model needed a mixing cable for stereo anyways I don't think that would have been as big of a deal. And with the RGB mixing they could have also expanded the color while they were at it. Which I think that would have made the Sega CD a better upgrade as it would then address all the problems the Genesis had against the SNES.

Outrunner

You're just a parasite in this forum. You're just here to trash others' posts without ever giving any arguments.
    The fact that you didn't even know that a Genesis port of Street Fighter 2 indeed was launched in 1993 or the fact that for you Bug==Sonic X-Treme (although the former did mostly play like a 2D game in a 3D world and the latter was to be a response to Super Mario 64, that's to say a free roaming 3D game and would have finished much like the Sonic World mode in Sonic Jam, if it had been completed) proves how irrelevant your opinion is.
    That's why you should continue making babies with your mother, who is also your sister, or with j_fagot (sorry I meant j_factor), if she is too busy at prostituting herself for cheap...

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, you seem butthurt enough as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by True Grave View Post
    No. Even back in the day i thought 32X was stupid and needless. It was released near the end of the Genesis systems lifespan and you do not, i repeat, do NOT release an add-on like that for a system thats almost dead. Everybody knew the next big thing would be out before long, and there would be no need for this. So why bother with this POS?

The $150 i could have WASTED for the 32X, was rightfully saved to go towards the glorious Sega Saturn instead.

Sega would have been much better suited to use the money & resources to develop a cheaper version of the Sega Virtual Chip instead. And releasing more games like that. It would have been so incredibly awesome to have solid ports of titles like Virtua Fighter on Genesis.
    I couldn't agree more. I didn't even know of the 32X's existence until I read the DOOM comparison FAQ back in the late 90s on GameFAQs to find cheats for SNES Doom. It was on there that I first learnt of Doom 32X. It had a brief summary of what a 32X was and I took pride in the fact that 32X Doom had less levels than SNES Doom since I was a Nintendo fanboy in those days.

I only like the 32X now because of its novelty, cheap price (at least in NA) and for its superior video encoder over all of the Genesis models.

Honestly, considering the original model needed a mixing cable for stereo anyways I don't think that would have been as big of a deal. And with the RGB mixing they could have also expanded the color while they were at it. Which I think that would have made the Sega CD a better upgrade as it would then address all the problems the Genesis had against the SNES.
    And it would have come at a time that would allow it plenty of time for growth. As some point out, the 32X was rather late. It really only had six months.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, you seem butthurt enough as it is!
    A new white knight wanting to rescue the crappy Barone.

You're just here at the best time because he was in search for a new butt plug...

Hero of Algol

You're just here at the best time because he was in search for a new butt plug...
    Last edited by Barone; 12-01-2014 at 09:33 AM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yeah I fell for the hype. It seemed like it all happened pretty quickly, from first news of the add-on to actually getting one with Doom on launch day. Powering up the MD that much just seemed too good to be true, and being an arcade gamer at the time the thought of Model 1 ports at home got me hype.

I was all for the idea despite being a bit disappointed in Mega CD support, perhaps thinking the 32X would make up for that with a slew of arcade ports and exclusive entries in classic SEGA franchises or something. That obviously never happened.

It was eventually sold to help finance a Saturn, obviously.

I thought you left?

Keep it up and you will soon get your wish.

EDIT: Never mind, I just read the rest of the thread. Wish granted!

Thread Information