Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fatal Fury

Not a bad conversion “per se”, but as many of you guys say, it falls short when compared to the arcade and has been obershadowed by Fatal Fury 2. We lost Billy Kane and Hwa Jai, and some awesome cutscenes and effects on the way, but the game itself looks and plays good.
    I really admire what Takara got from our MDs overall (FF 2, Samurai Shodown, Joe and Mac), but it's also true that they fell very short here.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I'm still convinced there's a full 16M rom somewhere out there on a developers hard drive that has all the missing shit in it.
    I mean, they probably fucked up somehow and ended up with a ton of 12M chips/carts so they just cut 4M out of the finished rom and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I'm still convinced there's a full 16M rom somewhere out there on a developers hard drive that has all the missing shit in it.
    I mean, they probably fucked up somehow and ended up with a ton of 12M chips/carts so they just cut 4M out of the finished rom and called it a day.
    Yep, we got quite fucked content-wise.
    Yours is quite a plausible explanation about this: “Oh, yeah, a cheapo surplus of 12 MB chips! Let's be mangy and put it on our MD version of Fatal Fury. It isn't like consumers can distinguish the insides of a cartridge from a turd”.

It's so sad that the video game industry still retains this swindling mentality.

Master of Shinobi

I've got a bit of a soft spot for this port as it was the first SNK fighter I played.

The SNES and Mega Drive development teams seem to have had different priorities. Judging from the loading, the SNES version seems to have used some compression. On top of that, the SNES version's presentation was severely cut back (most of the cutscene art is gone, character portraits are smaller, and I believe that the loser portraits are gone completely). By comparison, the Sega version's presentation was really close to the original, but those missing characters...

About the ROM size: I think the game just came out at an awkward time. 16Mb carts weren't super common until late '93 and into '94, and early ones seemed to have been reserved for high profile or potentially best selling titles. Fatal Fury wasn't a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2 level hit, so it's understandable that Takara wouldn't have wanted to risk the cost of using what was the biggest available cart at the time. Maybe things would have been different if it had been released six months later, but six months later and it would have ran into SF2:SCE and MK.

I suppose it is possible that they started work with the intention of using a 16Mb cart but late in the day the bean counters decided they couldn't afford it. That might explain the apparent focus on presentation over content. I doubt it though.
    Last edited by Silanda; 01-31-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Thread Information