Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sega SG-1000

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Doki Doki was released on the Mega Drive via the Japan's internet service (a rom is floating around), Sega Mega CD in a Japanese only collection, and I *think* on the Master System as well.

oh yeah! just found an even better version of the game on the sms, and i can honestly say that this is one of the best games ive ever played on the console.

definetly in my top 10 sms games now!!
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

The SG-1000, SMS, and MD Penguin Land games are all separate games. The SMS one is the best for gameplay.

For SG-1000 games, I really like Girl's Garden and H.E.R.O.. H.E.R.O.'s not as fast-paced as the Western console/computer versions but the remade graphics and Quartet-ish soundtrack are nice.

And besides using Japanese SMS machines to play SG-1000 games, there's also the Korean system route (I'm not sure if they're cheaper). I have an OACS Mark III which plays them and I'm guessing a Samsung Gam*Boy would too.

Thumbs up Nice!!

The SG-1000 was a really nice little pre NES era system. Maybe with a little more third party support, and a few more Sega arcaded ports from later on in the era(shinobi, space harrier, outrun) we would hear about this console a little bit more, as it seems that the SG-1000 truly is Sega's forgotten console.

Neozeedeater, +rep for the awesome username and avatar!! I really like that!

welcome to the Sega-16 forums
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    The SG-1000 was a really nice little pre NES era system. Maybe with a little more third party support, and a few more Sega arcaded ports from later on in the era(shinobi, space harrier, outrun) we would hear about this console a little bit more, as it seems that the SG-1000 truly is Sega's forgotten console.
    The SG-1000 and the Famicom came out on the SAME DAY. I'd hardly call it "pre-NES". Now you know.

I've played one!

I'm sorry, I saw this post (the games are literally right in front of me); so I just have to drop the eye candy. It's what I do.

This is one of my favorite systems to collect. Sadly, many games I still need have been available or have sold lately, but I've had to just sit and watch since I'm trying to save up for a house. It's just tearing me apart to watch someone else get them.

The games are actually quite fun for the most part. I had a hoot of a time playing The Castle. Soukoban is just as good as any other box shoving game - which is good IMO. Golgo 13 is completely different (in a bad way) from the NES game. N-Sub is no better than a Tiger Electronics handheld game. Black Onyx is one I would like to take a stab at some day. The games are definitely a mixed bag - like every other system.

And will never be forgotten!!!
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

^ Awesome collection

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    The SG-1000 and the Famicom came out on the SAME DAY. I'd hardly call it "pre-NES". Now you know.
    The SG-1000 had a limited test run in 1981 if I remember correctly.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi
    Neozeedeater, +rep for the awesome username and avatar!! I really like that!

welcome to the Sega-16 forums
    Thanks, fellow Shinobi fan. It has been a long time since I posted here.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I don't think I've found any evidence of that. Everything I've seen suggests that the SG-1000 was released in 1983 and never appeared before then. Why would Sega wait two years to release the SG-1000 if they had it ready in 1981? It's just an unfounded claim that doesn't really make sense.

Hm, yeah, good point. I don't remember where I read it first. But I remember older versions of Wikipedia's SG-1000 article with that info... Sega's official website for the SG-1000 definitely states 1983 though... Machines with comparable (read: virtually identical) hardware were introduced in 1982 (Colecovision) and 1983 (MSX)... Again something that speaks against the 1981 date... So yeah, probably just some unfounded rumor.

PS - A couple of interesting SG-1000 related links from the Sega Archives:

Doki Doki Penguin Land: http://sega.jp/archive/album/02_dp/
    Girl's Garden: http://sega.jp/archive/album/01_gg/home.html
    Flicky: http://sega.jp/archive/album/03_flicky/
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    For SG-1000 games, I really like Girl's Garden and H.E.R.O.. H.E.R.O.'s not as fast-paced as the Western console/computer
    Is this the same H.E.R.O. as the Activision release for the 2600? I love that game.

Yeah, it's the same.

Someone posted an interesting link at SMSPower.org:

http://www.play-sc-3000.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbo72
    Hello!
    Finally, I could release a more stable version of AS3 Emulator for SEGA SC-3000. Some cache system and optimization has been implemented to speed up emulation.

In this site you can choose which game to play... Soon I will implement the list of TAPE games, and soon you will be able to load/save your tapes in bitstream format.

You can also save and load your plays, and as soon as possible I will create a community so that you can save your score on your profile.

So for now, just ENJOY IT!!!!!

http://www.play-sc-3000.com

Of course feel free to report bugs!

Thread Information