Quantcast

Thread: Tony La Russa Baseball

Thumbs down Tony La Russa Baseball

The baseball season's winding down, and soon we'll be heading to the Fall Classic. Too bad the word "classic" doesn't apply to Electronic Arts' Tony La Russa Baseball. It does absolutely nothing to stand out. That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't play so darn slow. Compared to other baseball games on the Genesis at the time, it's not really worth a lot of your time. Read our full review and see why this one is three up and three down.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.

This game is unbelievably horrible. I was excited when I found it at a thrift store and then oh so disappointed when I played it. EA was never really able to make a decent baseball game on the Genesis.

Chris

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    This game is unbelievably horrible. I was excited when I found it at a thrift store and then oh so disappointed when I played it. EA was never really able to make a decent baseball game on the Genesis.

Chris
    what about the triple play series, and the 95 version of this very game which BTW is OK?

triple play wasnt bad on the genesis, but it was outshined by the world series baseball and its sequels

I liked the review, it'd could've been a tad longer though but still good. mreza gets the wtf award for his comment though!
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

NFL "Primetime" 98 Wildside Expert Take That Punk!'s Avatar

This game was so hyped and so bad at the same time.

Im sad the PS2 is in the basement of the house since we have MVP 2004 for that.
    Maybe I could get mvp 2005 for gamecube.
    Oh yea I have la russo 95 for genesis yea its meh, mlbpa baseball would be a better try.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

No EA Sports baseball game is worth a damn besides the Triple Play series, and even then the game is only worth a mention.

I sware to you as teh holy godz of sports gaming on this site, EA's best baseball game by 10,000 miles is MVP Baseball 2005.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Road Rasher

I played a bit of this at a place where a Genesis was set up and I wasn't impressed. A bit choppy, if I remember correctly. It also hurts that this game has a similar title to a much better game, Tommy Lasorda Baseball.

I recently picked up Sports Talk Baseball and I'm loving it so far. I'm on the fence on Super League '91. It's the JP version of Sports Talk with different music, but I'm not sure if there are any other differences. Does it still have that 10 run rule?

I just bought a complete copy of this game on ebay. It's got one of the thickest EA cases I've seen and comes with a whole stack of player information cards. Everything was in great condition and I paid about four dollars free shipping. Its cool to own. Once I give it some play time, I'll comment more.

Just played through a game of this tonight. I liked it at first, but it began to wear on me by the last inning.

The computer kicked my ass 11 to 1. I love these old baseball games, but when you're playing against the computer, it usually devolves into me striking out every time and trying and failing to not let them get any points. It usually ends with me swearing like a sailor and sweating through my shirt. This was no different.

On normal, the game plays too slow and choppy. It takes forever and a day to maneuver your outfielder's slow behind to get the ball if you miss a catch, and it takes a while to sail to the plates. However, there is also a superfast mode. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the programmers did anything except crank the speed up, failing to adjust the gameplay with it. As such, defense in superfast mode is almost untenable.

For being a relatively early baseball game and a PC port, I have no gripes with the graphics. The manual is thick with options, and the gameplay does have depth. Sadly, it's kind of wasted, as there are other Genesis baseball games that are much more fun to play.

Not a complete failure, but more of a missed opportunity.

4/10

Side note: My copy came with a whole stack of glossy cards detailing all the teams and their stats. Pretty cool for sports buffs and collectors!

20150811_230837.jpg

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

When I played through the game for the beat-'em-all a couple years back, I didn't think it was quite as bad as its reputation. Still, the presentation and gameplay are subpar, and the whole thing is just underwhelming.

BTW, Chimaera, if you should ever decide to buy the sequel (La Russa Baseball '95), be forewarned that pretty much every copy I know of has a dead battery. There were a few EA games where they screwed something up in that department, and this is one of them. I replaced the battery in my copy and it went dead again, but I'm not sure if it was a bad soldering job on my part.

Yeah, I think it gets more hate than it deserves simply because it doesn't quite measure up to some of the better baseball titles on the system. I think if I took some time to learn the way the game is played a little more, and read through the manual, I'd bump it up a point. As it is, though, it's a bit of a frustrating experience.

On the sequel, they really screwed with the pitching perspective to where it's much harder to see what you're doing. There's a loose cart collecting dust at my local game store, but I haven't felt the inclination to buy it. Now that you've told me about the battery issue, I'll probably let it sit. Lol.

Hehe...I used to love this game back in the day. I love the sport, but didn't own any other baseball games for the system besides this and RBI Baseball 3, so I was pretty patient with this game. I played the hell out of it, and got good enough to beat the computer the vast majority of the time. I do remember that it didn't save your individual player stats throughout the course of a season, so I'd accumulate the stats myself with a pencil in a notebook.

Although I love baseball, and I have positive memories of this game, it is a personal curiosity that I never bought other baseball games for the Genny back in the day. I do remember thinking that World Series Baseball looked cool as hell, so I recently bought a copy of that (as well as Super Baseball 2020) online to see what else I missed out on.

Thread Information