Quantcast

View Poll Results: Should the Sega 32X have been released?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 29.93%
  • No

82 59.85%
  • I can't quite decide

14 10.22%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should The 32X Have Been Released?

Default Should The 32X Have Been Released?

It sometimes makes me think that the 32X is just sitting on the Sega Genesis and poisoning its name, and it seems so misplaced. I am sure Sega would have done better with it if they had released the Sega Neptune in place of the Sega Saturn so gamers did not have to buy a console but instead just a add-on if they already owned a genesis and this would also help against game pirating as cartridges are harder to pirate. So where do you stand on the 32X?

Mega-Dorky Nerd God WCPO Agent nissling's Avatar

I don't think so, I love the Genesis as it is. It doesn't need more colors then it already has. It's like a girl you love, you love her just like she is. She doesn't need to do something to her look.

Your poll doesn't have enough options. It's more than just a yes/no/I don't know sort of question. It's yes... if Sega had stuck to their original plan and released the Saturn later in the US. It's no given that the Saturn was released early.

Given SoJ was already set on the Saturn before they handed the Mars project off to SoA, yes.
    In the context of the Saturn, yes.
    In the context of everything else being the same, yes.

In the context of the Saturn not being available at all or Sega delaying it for other reasons, perhaps it would have been a better idea.

As it was it didn't make sense unless the Saturn was released MUCH earlier than originally intended in Japan.
    The Saturn may have been released early int he west, but AFIK, the release date in Japan hadn't shifted any sooner from planned by the time SoJ handed responsibility of Mars off to SoA in early 1994.

Even if the Saturn was released later in the US, it wouldn't have changed the fact that the 32x split resources with Saturn and games that went the the 32x could have made good additions to the early Saturn library with corresponding enhancements facilitated by the more capable hardware.

It seems like Sega may have thought they had the resources to effectively support both 32x and Saturn (as well as MD and MCD and CD32x and Game Gear), and if that was the case it seems like they hadn't thought things through. Perhaps it was just down to communication problems between SoA and SoJ as well as varying interpretations of what Mars was to accomplish. (I recall one article mentioning that Nakayma's plan was for it to be an interim console to fill a perceived gap in the market for late 1994 to early 1995 -which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even without hindsight)

If they'd just wanted an interim platform to bridge the gap to Saturn, they already had the Sega CD that, while obviously not doing everything the 32x could, still had a lot of (largley untapped) potential and probably could have pulled off more than 2/3s of the games in the 32x's library rather well. (some of which should already have been on the MCD -like Space Harrier and After Burner)
    There would have had to be some cuts in color and framerate (possibly screen size), but a lot of stuff should have been very possible on the MCD. (probably with better sound in many cases)
    Even more could have come over if you consider things like a simple SVP add-on (especially SVP CD games), which was supposedly planned, but that's another variable. (had Virtua racing been lock-on in the first place that could have been even better)

The games that couldn't be reasonably done on the CD could have been moved up to Saturn.

The MCD was already getting cheaper and more accessible too (Pettus lists it at $150 by about the time with 32x launched for $160) and had an established library of games -and they could have pushed some of the more overlooked library too (or non FMV stuff in general -even if already popular and fairly well advertised in print TV ads would still help).

It's not just 32x either, the whole Mars concept from Japan doesn't really make sense unless there's something I'm missing. (even IF it was pretty powerful and affordable it wouldn't have made sense being released at the same time as the Saturn was In Japan with the Saturn being planned for 10 months later in the US)

Had Sega not had (or scrapped or delayed) the Saturn in 1994 and perhaps been stuck until 1996 for a new console, the 32x may have been a good idea to stay reasonably competitive in the mean time.

Likewise, if the main issue was that they wanted something out in the US for late 1994 and at a much lower price than the Saturn, something like the so-called Jupiter would have made many, many times more sense as it was fully forward compatible with Saturn (all carts would play in a saturn) and intended to be fully upgradable to Saturn spec with an add-on. (and would allow great transition to Saturn for developers -plus cross-platform development)
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 08-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

I can't decide, there's two reasons for that,
    On the one hand, I know that if Sega had merely dedicated their resources to only one 32 bit platform, they may have been able to keep some of their 3rd party developers.
    On the other hand, I'm glad they did release it, because, I truly enjoyed all of the 8 games I had for it, and I honestly think my teen years would have sucked without it. (We bought it for 30 bucks, and my parents outright refused to get a Saturn.)

So yeah. I'm glad it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quanto View Post
    I can't decide, there's two reasons for that,
    On the one hand, I know that if Sega had merely dedicated their resources to only one 32 bit platform, they may have been able to keep some of their 3rd party developers.
    On the other hand, I'm glad they did release it, because, I truly enjoyed all of the 8 games I had for it, and I honestly think my teen years would have sucked without it. (We bought it for 30 bucks, and my parents outright refused to get a Saturn.)

So yeah. I'm glad it existed.
    Had it continued to be pushed in the mainstream and successfully, it might not have dropped below $100 until late 1996, maybe '97. (and by mid '96 the Saturn was $200, like the N64 and PSX)

A $30 32x in '96/97 was a failed console being dumped from inventory. (like a Sega CD being dumped for $50 -or anything less than $100- around that time)

Hell, the Genesis was still $100 retail in 1996. (SNES still $100 in 1998, Majesco's Genesis 3 being $50 in '98)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Had it continued to be pushed in the mainstream and successfully, it might not have dropped below $100 until late 1996, maybe '97. (and by mid '96 the Saturn was $200, like the N64 and PSX)

A $30 32x in '96/97 was a failed console being dumped from inventory. (like a Sega CD being dumped for $50 -or anything less than $100- around that time)

Hell, the Genesis was still $100 retail in 1996. (SNES still $100 in 1998, Majesco's Genesis 3 being $50 in '98)
    Oh I know it was being sold in clearance, I'm merely stating that I'm glad it was. My family was hella poor. Bad for Sega was good for me, at the time. Course, come 1999, I had a job and bought a Dreamcast on launch day.

To all 32x Lovers! - Take part in Stellar Assault FSO's development HERE

Although the 32x does a nice job of upping the "horsepower" of the Genesis, I can't say that it was a good idea for it to be released as an add-on. If anything, I would think that a "Neptune CD" system would have done better- but only if it were introduced in lieu of both the 32x and the CDX. A later Saturn launch couldn't have hurt either.

That said, I enjoy the few games I have for the 32x- Doom in particular.
    And I must say that with the 32x and CD addons, my Genesis has to be the most epic-looking system:

-Rob
    Last edited by theredlineboss; 08-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    My console collection:
    Sega: Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, CD, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Nintendo: GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube w/ GB Player, Wii
    Atari: Lynx, TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar
    Sony: PSP, Vita, PS1, PS2, PS3
    Others: Astrocade, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan Color, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx 16, 3DO Fz-1, xBox, xBox 360

Did Doom come with your 32x? I got Virtua Fighter with mine.

I bought my 32x on eBay used; it didn't come with Doom, but it had a CIB copy of Star Wars Arcade. I picked up Doom (cart only) locally for $3 in the spring.

-Rob
    My console collection:
    Sega: Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, CD, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Nintendo: GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube w/ GB Player, Wii
    Atari: Lynx, TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar
    Sony: PSP, Vita, PS1, PS2, PS3
    Others: Astrocade, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan Color, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx 16, 3DO Fz-1, xBox, xBox 360

I asked because of the Not for Resale sticker. Nice setup at any rate, I never got the chance to get a Sega CD in my childhood, and I missed my chance to get one a few years ago at a local vintage game shop, saw it one day, the next it was gone.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I like all of 3 games on the 32x, so it's not a total writeoff for me, but I do think Sega would've been better off if they hadn't made that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by theredlineboss View Post
    That sticker is to awesome to remove!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    I recall one article mentioning that Nakayma's plan was for it to be an interim console to fill a perceived gap in the market for late 1994 to early 1995 -which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even without hindsight.
    No, Nakayama wanted a console to replace the Mega Drive. A Mega Drive / Genesis model #3 if you will, or "Giga Drive". Instead of a MD+SCD you'd have GD+SCD. The CDX as we know it probably wouldn't have existed (it was released after the Giga Drive / Mars idea was cancelled), instead it would have been a GD+SCD-in-1.

SOA's proposal was 32X/Neptune. Very similar in its options if you think about it, yet different in its add-on approach.

Both Sega of Japan and Sega of America were of the opinion that they should keep focussing on their Mega Drive / Genesis product line but also improve the console's capabilities to keep it competitive.

I agree with that thought. I'd have appreciated a Mega Drive 2 with slightly more colors and better PCM capabilities, and I would not have complained about a 3D co-processor (although I didn't think it was necessary).

Problem was trying to position Saturn as a high end machine with a slow attach rate and high launch price. A very bad idea that obviously was made at a time when no one took PlayStation seriously.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-09-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Based on the numerous discussions on the topic that I have already been privy to I'd like to insert some facts about the Saturn's first year library. The idea that the 32X siphoned resources away from Saturn development just doesn't make sense. That is, unless the person touting the idea thinks that there really is such a thing as a "AAA" title, the Saturn's first couple of years were on par or better than the PS1's.

At that point one has to make an illogical leap that a 32X title would both be made better on Saturn instead and would have sold well. Sales, you see, is a key criteria to the much sought after "AAA" status. With that in mind, we should be able to see, being intelligent post-modern individuals, that these are two very huge assumptions.

Now, barring anybody that still persists that "AAA" sells consoles, we should be able to look at the Saturn's first year library as it was. The Saturn had a wide margin on the PS1 in quantity of quality titles in 1995, and the PS1 only started to catch up in 1996.

Consider that when considering the viability of the 32X as an interim console or a cost_effective upgrade to the 30 million Genesis owners out there.
    Last edited by sheath; 08-10-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Thread Information