Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Sonic Hacks!

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Sonic Best Sonic Hacks!

ZOMG HAX!!! Seriously though, it seems like Super Mario has a buttload of hacks out there, some of them really well-made and even worthy of putting on a repro cart. So, how is Sonic holding up? There are a few decent sites dedicated to hacking Sonic games, but after going through them, I found it's kinda hard to pick out a good list of well-made, completed hacks. There is a lot of ugly unplable rubbish out there, and a lot of projects that seemed like a good idea at some point in 2004 but have been abandoned for years. However if you look around hard enough you can find some gems.

Here are the best ones I found:

First off you have the essential Sonic Megamix, probably the most intense hack out there (even though it's apparently not done yet) this hack is pretty awesome. It runs on Sega CD (or emulators) and features added characters Mighty, Shadow, Knuckles and Tails, and apparently you can activate their super forms, though I never could get it to work... even with all the gems...

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Megamix

Next, Sonic 2 Retro Remix is another awesome hack with a really well done adventure mode that has you exploring the huge levels looking for for specific objectives. Very original and well made. This is probably my favourite hack, it's also the most complete one I could find.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_2_Retro_Remix

Sonic 3 Complete has to be the most awesome idea for a Sonic hack I've seen to date, the fact that no one did this before is kinda amazing. It's Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles, together as one game, FINALLY! Other than putting the 2 games together as god always intended, this hack fixes a bunch of glitches in the original games. The only issue I have with it is I can't seem to get the super and hyper forms to work. Apparently you have to hit B and C when double jumping to initiate them, but it never works, either that or the all emeralds codes don't work. Either way, this hack is still pretty awesome, and hopefully they'll make an update where the super forms work better (or at all). I'd love to get this put on a cart.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete_(hack)

The S Factor: Sonia and Silver is another very well done hack featuring characters not seen in other Sonic hacks, apparently this thing isn't finished yet either, but regardless it plays like a dream. The level designs are very expertly done, the music is very nice and the characters have really cool special moves. I'm just not sure about the inclusion of Scourge The Hedgehog... but regardless this hack is pretty sweet.

http://info.sonicretro.org/The_S_Fac...nia_and_Silver

Sonic Boom is a mindblowingly AWESUM hack that features new: essentially everything: sprites, enemies, level backgrounds, tiles, moves and attacks, boss... basically everything. It's ridiculously awesome. The only problem is... it's just one level and the boss. That having been said it's probably the best 5 minutes you'll spend playing a Sonic game since 1994. Oh how I wish they'd made a full game of this.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Boom_(hack)

There are a few other honourable mentions out there like the Knuckles in Sonic 1 hack, but that's been around forever and I'm sure everyone has seen it already (if not, google it). Plus there are a few hacks that restore the lost levels to Sonic 2 like the desert and forest levels, but they seem to suffer from somewhat clunky level design and don't really bring that many new features other than the extra levels.

Those are the best ones I could find. If anyone on here knows of some other sweet hacks please share!
    Last edited by djshok; 08-09-2010 at 08:58 PM.

The fat Sonic sprites are jokes.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 @ SAGE 2010: One of the most awesome hacks ever, and the first ever Genesis/MD game with online achievements and leaderboards.

Banned by Administrators

Sonic Jam 6:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglguOexrLA

Well, I like it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Requiescat in Pace Master of Shinobi

Sonic The Hedgehog 1: SAGE 2010 looks incredible, I saw it in the SAGE 2010 trailer and I was blown away.

It’s not a hack, it’s a fan game made from scratch, but Sonic The Hedgehog Classic looks incredibly awesome. It’s supposed to be released in the following month.

I’m actually pretty hyped lol.

Whoa! That Sonic Classic games looks BAD ASS, too bad it seems to be made only for PC. It would be beyond awesome if you could get that to run on real hardware, either Genesis or SCD.

Total Smeghead Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Sonic 1 Brother Trouble is a good hack. As is Robotnik's Revenge (a battle fest with all the bosses from Sonic 1+2) and so is Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I am really glad they hacked Sonic, and I will probably play the heck out of these when my evergenesis comes in. I just wish that there was at least one hack along some of these game's vein for Shinobi III or even Streets of Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Sonic 1 Brother Trouble is a good hack. As is Robotnik's Revenge (a battle fest with all the bosses from Sonic 1+2) and so is Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges.
    Yeah Brother Trouble is pretty cool, I just hope they actually finish it to be a full game. Right now I think it's just the one level/3 acts. Really nicely done with the overworld. I'd love to see this completed.

The S&K challenges are kinda cool too. Though it's well made, I never really cared for Robotnik's Revenge that much, it's just a boss rush. It would be a nice addition in another game as a bonus, but on it's own I don't find it that interesting.

Total Smeghead Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Yeah Brother Trouble is pretty cool, I just hope they actually finish it to be a full game. Right now I think it's just the one level/3 acts. Really nicely done with the overworld. I'd love to see this completed.

The S&K challenges are kinda cool too. Though it's well made, I never really cared for Robotnik's Revenge that much, it's just a boss rush. It would be a nice addition in another game as a bonus, but on it's own I don't find it that interesting.
    The latest version of Brother Trouble is a little thin on the ground with levels, but a earlier revision has alot of levels that were cut from the new release.

this answers a lot of my questions about sonic hacks, but is sonic megamix the only one that can be played on the sega cd?

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Sonic 3 Complete has to be the most awesome idea for a Sonic hack I've seen to date, the fact that no one did this before is kinda amazing. It's Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles, together as one game, FINALLY! Other than putting the 2 games together as god always intended, this hack fixes a bunch of glitches in the original games. The only issue I have with it is I can't seem to get the super and hyper forms to work. Apparently you have to hit B and C when double jumping to initiate them, but it never works, either that or the all emeralds codes don't work. Either way, this hack is still pretty awesome, and hopefully they'll make an update where the super forms work better (or at all). I'd love to get this put on a cart.
    Well, of course, Sega had the idea first with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and all I really did here was make a few improvements, bring back the Sonic 3 music and meddle with super transformations.

The super transformations should work OK, but it's hard to explain how to actually pull them off (more so than actually doing it I think). The way I tend to activate it is by holding C to jump and then pressing B to activate the double-jump/transformation while C is still pressed, although it's possible to mash both together. If it still causes trouble, one of the customisation patches available from its Retro wiki page will allow you to use the original button setup.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Defolto View Post
    this answers a lot of my questions about sonic hacks, but is sonic megamix the only one that can be played on the sega cd?
    As far as I know yeah, it's the only one that can be burned onto a CD and played on the original hardware.

Thread Information