Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiden Trad

Default Raiden Trad

Entries in the long-running Raiden series have been ported many times, most recently to mobile phones, and the Genesis got its share of the lovin': Christmas-card-to-that-second-cousin-you-hardly-ever-see-type lovin'. It may have not been the best of the bunch, but hey, it was still Raiden. Doesn't that count for something? Read our full review for all the details.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Oh yeah readers, if you read "The Stories from the Book of Genesis Vol. 2", Melf trys to tell his friend to not buy Raiden Trad when it was $69.99 many years ago!

Uri Cohen

Wow that's a sick amount of money for such a crappy game. I pretty much agree with the review, but perhaps you could have put more emphasis on the gameplay aspect.. I say this because there are a bunch of shooters in the MD library with average graphics but some great gameplay, like fire shark, truxton and slap fight.

I was never too impressed with Raiden until it came out for the Playstation at launch. And the only things that got me into that were the the arranged music and the ability to save high scores. I remember the Turbo version had 6 megabit power. Evidently Raiden is a game that requires a lot of rescources despite looking like it needs next to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger
    Wow that's a sick amount of money for such a crappy game. I pretty much agree with the review, but perhaps you could have put more emphasis on the gameplay aspect.. I say this because there are a bunch of shooters in the MD library with average graphics but some great gameplay, like fire shark, truxton and slap fight.
    Well, I did say in my review on why Raiden was so great with the first place: Make the game simple but hard to dodge enemy fire.

The gameplay is really what saved the game from having a 4 or lower.

Raiden really wasn't a big deal due to its gameplay. It was just a great looking shooter. The detail and depth of the first level alone, with the cows grazing the field in the distance, is what made it so impressive. Huge sprites, even bigger firepower, and little to no slowdown (at least that I can recall... maybe in later levels) made Raiden extremely visually impressive, and all that was lost on the home conversions of the time. Really, this is the end of the 80's/early 90's, and I know I can't think of any shooters that really started challenging the basic formula and gameplay. That would come in the mid to late 90's.
    Last edited by Benjamin; 06-26-2006 at 04:19 AM.

I think the game is called Raiden Trad because it's not a direct port anyway. It looks like it's a direct port, but I think that the levels in Trad are truncated, or cut short.

The level of detail is just not there on this version, but it still displays some of the great gameplay. I also didn't think this version had the amount of enemy saturation required to really give that level of challenge that is so prevalent in the Raiden series.

The first port to really bring the true Raiden experience home was actually the Jaguar game. It's a direct port in every way, even with some minor graphical upgrades in the space missions, along with a newer remixed soundtrack. And it featured the total enemy saturation of the arcade original without any slowdown at all. The only thing was that there was a minor hit in resolution, which is understandable for the time period.

Then came the PSX Raiden Project and blew everything else away. I don't think its fair to compare this game to the other ones, it's so far advanced technologically it's really just mean to compare it to the others.

I appreciate the more 'real-world' scifi art style, but that's about all this game has going for it. And the ending is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Russman
    I think the game is called Raiden Trad because it's not a direct port anyway. It looks like it's a direct port, but I think that the levels in Trad are truncated, or cut short.

The level of detail is just not there on this version, but it still displays some of the great gameplay. I also didn't think this version had the amount of enemy saturation required to really give that level of challenge that is so prevalent in the Raiden series.

The first port to really bring the true Raiden experience home was actually the Jaguar game. It's a direct port in every way, even with some minor graphical upgrades in the space missions, along with a newer remixed soundtrack. And it featured the total enemy saturation of the arcade original without any slowdown at all. The only thing was that there was a minor hit in resolution, which is understandable for the time period.

Then came the PSX Raiden Project and blew everything else away. I don't think its fair to compare this game to the other ones, it's so far advanced technologically it's really just mean to compare it to the others.
    I only compair the Genesis port to the other 16-bit ports at the time. I can't compair it to the PSX version because the PSX wasn't there at the time.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

The only Raiden I ever really got into was Raiden II with the big purple laser of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    I only compair the Genesis port to the other 16-bit ports at the time. I can't compair it to the PSX version because the PSX wasn't there at the time.
    Your review was fine and you did the right thing, I was just adding my own thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Russman
    Your review was fine and you did the right thing, I was just adding my own thoughts.

I see.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

a 5 and thats on the high side even.

Quote Originally Posted by ary incorparated
    a 5 and thats on the high side even.

Don't get me started.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

But i have to say nice review good and intersting build up.sore that only the game is a minor.Ill bett if you write more they would be greta and fun to read just as this one.Pros

Thread Information