Quantcast

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn's Sound System (and advanced console sound hardware in general)

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

If it's a program in rom of the chip, that's still software, is it not?
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    If it's a program in rom of the chip, that's still software, is it not?
    That's why I said "could" consider it as such. It's software, but it's still hard-coded in embedded ROM. (like it would be in a DSP microcode program running in on-chip RAM, except fixed to that single program)

I'm not sure, but don't hard-coded microcode driving operations in CPUs do that too? (instructions triggering internal microcode programs to carry out an operation that's not hardwired in logic -like multiplication on an 8088/8086: one major speed difference for NEC's V20/30 was hardwired logic for multiplication -not sure if the 80186 added that too: I think the V33 -and 80286- executes all instructions in hardwired logic)

I think it's more complex than that though, and my understanding is rather limited.

Also, a couple quotes from a previous topic that went in this direction before:
    Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Saturn has the most powerful sound setup form any console that exists, very very powerful synthesizer and quite powerful DSP with many effects. Only problem was that nobody used those features... few games used synthesizer capabilities, most only did sampling and with 512KB of RAM for that you will get limited... reverb was used quite a lot though.
    There is a dedicated 68K there, and one way to get past RAM limits is by doing software sample decompression... you got a LOOOT of power there to work with.

Dreamcast has same setup as Saturn except twice as many channels, no synthesizer, ADPCM support and few more effects, and controller is 45MHz ARM this time.
    One could do software based synthesis on the ARM, there's loooots of power there, you only need like 1% of that power to do plain samples... rest being wasted. MD emulators on DC could very well have sound emulation pushed on the ARM instead, hell if Genecyst was able to emulate MD with sound on a 66MHz 486DX2 at half speed, doing sound alone on a 45MHz CPU would be quite easy, though probably not at full accuracy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    The 45 MHz ARM in the DC is capable of decoding MP3 or ogg-vorbis... which is generally what folks are going to use on the DC. I used libWildMIDI with my DC port of Doom, but that's because it's based on an old base and still support the MUS/MIDI music.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

It sounds like a FM / PCM mix, yeah.

Legend of Oasis / Story of Thor 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqIo4G39K0
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-17-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Christuserloeser, where did you hear or read about the Saturn doing ADPCM in hardware? (I don't doubt that it can do it -I'd be surprised if the DSP wasn't useful for that, but I haven't seen it listed and others have argued otherwise)

I'm sure the programmers could elaborate on that too though.

And the videos are hard to tell, they could easily be using sampled FM, though they could also be using synthesis. (it would depend on the amount of sampled they wanted to use and the amount of hardware channels desired -Tiido mentioned you sacrifice a channel with every FM operator used -unless it's DSP driven FM, but given what Tiido said it's unlikely the DSP was used for such)
    If you wanted genesis quality FM (6 4-op channels) using the hardware synthesis, that would drop to 8 hardware PCM channels. (so a bit like the MCD+MD but with higher quality samples possible and more RAM -and no PSG)
    In many cases, it would probably be useful to use a mix of different FM operator configurations. (a mix of 6-op, 4-op, and 2-op stuff or maybe 5 or 3 op too depending on the case to optimized for instruments used: a single operator would be useful for sine wave too)

It wouldn't be able to match an OPL3 in some cases though. (though in many, many cases having 18 2-op FM channels -or the mix of limited 4-op channels- wouldn't really be preferable to fewer 4-up channels of the sort the OPM/OPN series use, let alone the flexibility of the Saturn's set-up)
    The Saturn wouldn't be able to match the DX7's 16 6-op voices either for that matter. (or the OPL4 -would have been interesting if the Saturn had used that, way cheaper and way less powerful than what they used though)

Sampling FM is not uncommon at all: very common for the SNES and N64 (and some PSX games), let alone CD-DA using FM compositions, some general midi instruments are sampled FM too for that matter.
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I agree that it's hard to tell. I hear a lot of pretty obvious samples (or at least what I think are samples) that do remind me of something you'd expect on SNES or N64 but all in all it's an entirely different bag: It all sounds a lot thicker, richer. Like a mix of FM and PCM.

Legend of Oasis / Story of Thor 2 on the other hand sounds a lot like Beyond Oasis / Story of Thor.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-17-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post

You mean all FM synthesis?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure a chiptune can be anything from PSG to FM Synthesis to PCM. It doesn't necessarily have to be FM Synth. Just as long as it's not redbook audio or an MP3 or ADX or something like that which just loops a prerecorded track.

For example I'm pretty sure almost all of Capcoms 2D fighters use real time chip tunes. Same with most RPGs on the system and games like Panzer Dragoon 2, Saga, NiGHTS, Megaman 8 and X4, Sakura Wars, the CPS1 collection ports, etc. Just because it's not FM Synthesis doesn't mean it's not a chip tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I agree that it's hard to tell. I hear a lot of pretty obvious samples (or at least what I think are samples) that do remind me of something you'd expect on SNES or N64 but all in all it's an entirely different bag: It all sounds a lot thicker, richer. Like a mix of FM and PCM.

Legend of Oasis / Story of Thor 2 on the other hand sounds a lot like Beyond Oasis / Story of Thor.
    One thing on the SNES and N64 is that you often have lower quality (or curtailed) samples due to limited cart space (and also due to wave RAM on the SNES -plus forced interpolation). On the saturn, it's mainly the RAM, so if that's sufficient, you can have really nice sounding samples that would be indistinguishable for realtime synthesis.

In particular, a lot of FM instruments might be relatively simple waveforms too, so small samples. (some complex instruments -especially 6-op- would be closer if not identical to the non-synth counterparts)
    Plus you have other forms of synthesis as well, other than FM. (again, many of which the

Due to the more flexible polyphony of sample based music, it would probably be preferred in any case where RAM (or compression/quality sacrificing) wasn't an issue. Especially for any instruments that used relatively simple waveforms. (though with a pure sine wave you'd only use 1 channel either way)

TmEE,
    What operators can the Saturn use for FM: is it only sine, or variable? (or is it user programmable -ie allowing you to modulate sampled waveforms with other samples: that would be really neat!)
    And are there limits on the FM algorithms available?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure a chiptune can be anything from PSG to FM Synthesis to PCM. It doesn't necessarily have to be FM Synth. Just as long as it's not redbook audio or an MP3 or ADX or something like that which just loops a prerecorded track.
    I understand the broadness of the term, but some argue the application, which is why I asked: particularly as he mentioned PCM earlier in the post but then specified chiptune later on.

Some don't consider it a "chiptune" unless there's an actual "sound chip" though then the definition of that is pretty arguable too. *you could argue the SNES's sound system doesn't amount to a "chip" among other things)
    I personally would include anything using arrangements played in realtime with some form of instruments played in hardware to be chiptune, but I avoid the term if possible due to such issues of ambiguity.

Oh, and you have straight streaming audio (or short looped segments too) in a lot of cases on the Amiga or ST (especially some ST intros -like Starglider), there's a lot of hybrids too, of stream+samples/PSG sound, etc. (and again "beat loops," volcals, and such).
    So then you have "synthesis" or "chiptune" even more arguable. (when does looping a sample and looping a segment of music become distinct?)

Some wouldn't consider using samples as actual "synthesis" either (TmEE doesn't ), but that's semantics to a degree as well.

Also note that when I say wavetable synthesis, I was referring to actual wavetable synthesis and not sample based music so to speak. (wavetable synthesis uses a group of small samples that are built up to form the desired waveform with control of timbre as well as pitch and volume -it's more than that and I don't properly understand it, but it's a lot more complex than sampled audio)
    -------------

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    TmEE,
    What operators can the Saturn use for FM: is it only sine, or variable? (or is it user programmable -ie allowing you to modulate sampled waveforms with other samples: that would be really neat!)
    And are there limits on the FM algorithms available?
    Its not a general FM synthesizer (asd DSP is not doing it either, DSP is an additional separate block).

Each channel is either PCM channel or FM operator. If a channel is FM operator it will use some sample stored somewhere in the memory for its waveform, you can use any kind of waveform you want, and any lenght, as long as it fits in the RAM. Alogrithms are unlimited, you can tie the operators with each other in any way you want.

It is a veeeery powerful setup

As far as ADPCM goes, there is no hardware support for that, the chip plays only plain PCM. I really don't know the details or have forgotten them, but from what I have understood the DSP is not reconfigurable... it comes with its standard set and you got to live with it.
    I need to read the docs when I have more time...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Its not a general FM synthesizer (asd DSP is not doing it either, DSP is an additional separate block).

Each channel is either PCM channel or FM operator. If a channel is FM operator it will use some sample stored somewhere in the memory for its waveform, you can use any kind of waveform you want, and any lenght, as long as it fits in the RAM. Alogrithms are unlimited, you can tie the operators with each other in any way you want.

It is a veeeery powerful setup
    Oh, wow, so a LOT more than any of yamaha's normal FM stuff. (and a lot of cases where fewer operators would be necessary due to that)

That seems like it would be extremely flexible: I wonder how many cases it was used as a more typical FM synthesizer using only simple waveforms or sine and more typical algorithms as yamha synth used. (though the DX7 has a pretty large selection of algorithms)

As far as ADPCM goes, there is no hardware support for that, the chip plays only plain PCM. I really don't know the details or have forgotten them, but from what I have understood the DSP is not reconfigurable... it comes with its standard set and you got to live with it.
    I need to read the docs when I have more time...
    Hmm, so it's not programmable (no on-chip SRAM) and can't run microcode from the audio DRAM?
    That would limit it a lot then (only effects/operations supported in embedded ROM): I wonder if the SNES or PSX DSP (or 3DO) is also all hard-coded like that without programmable microcode. (that would throw some of the DSP flexibility I assumed out the window)

If that was the case, the 68k would be the main option for decompression. (you might be able to use the CPUs if you could spare the resource, but that might be awkward if the CPUs can't directly access the wave RAM)

Can the SH2s access the audio block of RAM directly? For that matter, can the audio subsystem pull samples from main RAM? (or does the 68k at least have access to the main bus?)

I was thinking more in the context of how Flare had intended the DSP in the multisystem to be used (programmed in on-chip SRAM), or like some mass market DSPs running code from RAM (sometimes on-chip). (or the SSP-1601 DSP for that matter)
    The Jaguar's "DSP" was intended with such flexibility as well, but wasn't strictly a DSP, but a more general purpose RISC microprocessor (more CPU like, and the same core used in the "GPU") though it did make for a capable DSP. (and with the limited 8 kB of local RAM, 4 kB wave ROM, and slow/cumbersome main bus connection, it seems best for computationally intensive and bus access light processing -so sample based stuff was rather detrimental in that case: had they forseen that plain sample based audio would have been dominant, they probably would have taken a cheaper route, probably DMA/DAC set-up --the tiny on-chip wave ROM had been intended to facilitate synthesis with the "DSP" without touching the main bus -something most developers didn't do, opting for sample based stuff instead -including a number of MOD players)

For the Saturn's PCM: are there significant limits for the format used (ie word size and sample rate) or is it pretty flexible for any depth up to 16 bit samples and sample rate up to 44.1 kHz? (or at least supports 4/8/12/16-bit PCM and upsampling of direct division/factors of 44.1 kHz if not stepped/variable sample rate -I'd gotten the impression that the SNES and MCD PCM chip had pretty variable sample rate up to 32 kHz)
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 08-18-2010 at 04:21 AM.
    -------------

DSP uses some DRAM for its own purposes, depending on what are you doing with it... I don't know the details. But code is run from internal ROM form what I know.

SH2's can access the sound stuff, and 68K can access the SH2 stuff... if you want you can run the Saturn off the 68K... if I have understood things right.

only 8 and 16 bit PCM is supported, and everything is scaled with interpolation to 44KHz, like in SNES (though SNES rate is 32KHz), but additional filter effects are not forced on you, you can use filtering when needed by means of DSP.
    MCD just scales everything to 32KHz with no interpolation or filtering, producing veeery crisp sound.

EDIT:

OK

Seems the DSP gets its code from 68K, or can get it from 68K. I'm still not clear wether the "Standard library" is built into the chip or is loaded externally. It can be loaded externally form what I am understanding
    Last edited by TmEE; 08-18-2010 at 05:18 AM.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

SH2's can access the sound stuff, and 68K can access the SH2 stuff... if you want you can run the Saturn off the 68K... if I have understood things right.
    So you could use main memory for additional audio data without having to page into the 512 kB audio block?

only 8 and 16 bit PCM is supported, and everything is scaled with interpolation to 44KHz, like in SNES (though SNES rate is 32KHz), but additional filter effects are not forced on you, you can use filtering when needed by means of DSP.
    MCD just scales everything to 32KHz with no interpolation or filtering, producing veeery crisp sound.
    That's too bad: it would have been really nice to have interpolation user selectable (especially on a channel basis), same for the SNES for that matter. (both interpolation and digital filtering -there's obvious cases where stuff sounds wrong without interpolation, but many cases where it's obviously better with no interpolation -others where it's not so much an issue either way- at least based on what I hear in ZSNES and SNES9x with and without interpolation -of course, ZSNES adds a number of alternate interpolation types to use as well)

Having more variable bit depth of samples would have been nice too (especially without compression), allowing trade-offs to be made depending on the sound/instrument used. (just as with sample rate)

Seems the DSP gets its code from 68K, or can get it from 68K. I'm still not clear wether the "Standard library" is built into the chip or is loaded externally. It can be loaded externally form what I am understanding
    So it may be programmable, but there's a default set-up used. (it sounds like Sega may not have provided alternate default options either -leaving it up to programmers to do any custom configuration: assuming microcoding tools were provided)

If developers did opt for using software compression decoding on the 68k alone, how many simultaneous channels could have been managed like that? (using ADPCM or maybe another algorithm catering to 8-bit PCM -like what you and Chilly Willy used with the Z80 decompressor on spritesmind)

Could it also have been useful to use other sample word sizes with linear PCM and convert them on the fly in software to 8 or 16 bit PCM? (and correct volume accordingly)
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 08-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    -------------

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    The Saturn's sound system was better than the N64. Sega used it in there high end Model 3 board to be exact.
    Model 3 is using 2 Saturn Sound Boards to power it . Saturn sound was awesome when used right, Though from what one reads the lack of on board support for compression held it back, that and even game leading on the PS I guess.

For some of the best Sound to come of the Saturn chip one needs to play Radiant Silver Gun, Saga and Souky

Also the sound effects in Virtual Fighter are almost with out equal on any system, even now . Deep Fear had tops sound too (helped by ADX)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Christuserloeser, again, where did you see reference to the Saturn using ADPCM before?
    The 68k should certianly be able to handle it to some extent (not sure how many simultaneous channels you could decode though), and if the DSP was programmable, they should definitely have been able to implement a DSP program to support very fast ADPCM decoding. (let alone other compression schemes -again, one catering to 8-bit PCM would be great)

And, of course, there's using SH2 resource as well, and/or storing additional samples in main RAM is the audio block was too small. (like textures or tile data could be stored in main RAM if the dedicated 512 kB block was too small)

I wonder if the SH1 could be used for anything: from all I've heard from programmers, it was dedicated to CD-ROM duties, but I wonder if it was just not properly supported. (that would be a good chunk of added general purpose resource, and if it's true it was originally intended to be the main CPU as well as control the CD-ROM, it would certainly stand to reason that that functionality would have remained)
    The 68000 is general purpose as it is (like the Z80 in the Genesis) and can be used for pretty much anything: it would have been great if the SH1 was like that too. (and when the CD-ROM drive is idle or just streaming red book audio, I think the SH1 is just idle too -like the 68k in the MCD: managing the CD-ROM drive as well as being a general purpose CPU, and being relatively free from overhead for Red Book streaming -though not loading game data and such iirc, and controlling the seek times for looping red book tracks)
    The PCE CD was even simpler with main CPU overhead having to be used for CD-ROM iirc. (again, not so much an issue if the CD activity in-game is red book)

If any of the programmers could elaborate on some of this (or correct anything I'm mistaken on), it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if any Saturn or PSX soundtracks used compressed streaming audio for the main soundtrack? (be it ADPCM or lower quality PCM like 8-bit PCM, lower sample rate, and/or mono audio streams) I mean other than for FMV, of course. (44.1 kHz stereo ADPCM would allow 4x as much audio on disc)
    -------------

The DSP is not good for ADPCM decode, I could not notice any conditional stuff when I skimmed through the manual and you need that for ADPCM decompression.

ADPCM has been done on Saturn quite a lot, but its all software decompressed by the 68K. Sonic Jam streams all of its music and its all ADPCM except for some tunes in Sonic World. PSX games stream ADPCM too, i,e Duke Nukem: Time To Kill

From what I know, the SH1 is compltetely dedicated to CD-ROM, its got its own internal ROM (or ROM is embedded into some ASIC) and it does not allow any user code to be run in it... you have no control over it, you can only tell what you want but the SH1 is the boss.

ADPCM has been done on Saturn quite a lot, but its all software decompressed by the 68K. Sonic Jam streams all of its music and its all ADPCM except for some tunes in Sonic World. PSX games stream ADPCM too, i,e Duke Nukem: Time To Kill
    So Sonic Jam's in-game stuff is all streamed and not synthesized?

And in the other consoles with ADPCM decoding sound systems (SNES, PSX, 3DO, Dreamcast, etc) the DSP is handling the decompression, right?
    -------------

Thread Information