Ever since the idea of hosting Genesis covers was put forth in a different section of this site, I've kind of wondered why there was no thread made for such requests. When the M.U.S.H.A. cover/manual thread came along, it basically put the idea in my head more firmly. So...
In this thread, you can request manual PDFs and Genesis/MegaDrive cover art scans. This isn't to make an archive, but simply to help folks who have a ruined or missing art cover for their games, or would at least like to own some version of the manual.
Here are some basic guidelines...
- Covers should be scanned at 300 dpi so that they're printable. You can save them as a PNG-24, but the file size will be huge. Instead, try going with a jpg at somewhere between 60-80% quality (making them between 3 and 4MB). Any compression artifacts at this quality level will be virtually unnoticeable at actual printing size, and if anyone wants to do a little cleaning up (removing missed hairs/dust, getting rid of the fold lines on the cover, etc.), they can do so quite easily.
- For manuals, scan then in at 300dpi, then once you've gotten all the pages ready, reduce the document size by 50% (you can leave them at full size if you wish, but the finished product will be quite large). Just save each page scanning as a 100% jpg before you convert everything to a PDF and they'll look fine. I can't imagine anyone will print them out (double-sided printing's a bitch), but if they want to, they can import the finished PDF into Photoshop, up the resolution to 300 dpi for each PDF page and they'll still look all right to print. Oh, and be sure to turn any pages that are black and white to gray scale ("desaturate" in Photoshop). There's no need for color profiles on those pages, and it'll help make the PDFs smaller. Do not scan them in gray scale, as it makes what's on the other side of the page more visible than if you'd scanned it in full color.
For those that do try to print these, just make sure everything's the right size in measurements before you do. For example, mine PDFs are a bit too big and need to be shrunk in Photoshop for them to be the right size. For reference, when you select "print size" in Photoshop, the measurements should read roughly 7 9/16" wide (double pages), by 6 9/16" high.
- Try to get each scan as straight as possible. Once you've scanned it, if it's still not straight, please do the minor rotation needed in Photoshop or whatever graphics software you have before uploading onto someplace. The scans and manuals will look much better if they're not lopsided or have corners partially cut off.
- Be sure to "descreen" the printed originals when you scan them. There should be a setting for this in your scanner's software. It makes the scans look a bit better when they're gotten off of printed art.
- When you're scanning, put something nice and heavy on the scanner's cover so the cover art will be as flat as it can be. Nothing grotesquely heavy, but a good 5-10lbs.
- If the bends in the cover art (where it goes around the sides of the clamshell spine) are too difficult for you to get rid of because of the artwork being the way it is, don't worry about it. Let the one DLing it take care of it. But if it's pretty simple (like the Awesome Possum box I did), try to get rid of them if you can. It'll make the finished print look nicer.
Oh, and some handy software for anyone wanting to help...
If you have a printer and scanner, right there's a nice little program. Install and follow the instructions. It's quite simple to use, and I always use the "print" option to keep the images looking well. If you have any questions, I'll try and help. But you guys should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.
And as a special note, please, no cartridge label scan requests. Those things are a pain in the ass to do. If you need a replacement for them, go to mrbigreddog's thread here and request it. Also, no "could you make me a special version of this cover/manual?" requests. I'd prefer to keep this thread for scanning preexisting covers and manuals, as mrbigreddog's doing the tweaked and adjusted/original works for box inserts and cart labels/spine decals.
Hopefully I won't be the only one doing these, but I guess we'll see. And for those requesting, be patient. This stuff doesn't happen in 10 minutes. A good manual scan will take several hours (scanning, rotation fixing, cleaning, lining up, etc.), and cleaning up a cover can take just as long sometimes. So don't throw a hissy fit if it isn't posted right away. As the ad once said, "Patience is a virtua."
So... any requests?
Here are some sites provided to check through first before asking. You never know, they might have what you're after...
http://thecoop.110mb.com/WarpSpeed_Cover.txt (US) (custom cover)
Alien Storm_and_World of Illusion covers (US)
Alisia Dragoon (US)
Bonanza Bros. (US)
Contra Hard Corps (US)
Decapattack and Rolling Thunder 3 (US)
Double Dragon (US)
Star Trek: TNG (US)
Bare Knuckle III (Jap)
Robocop vs Terminator (US)
Wonder Boy in Monster World manual (US)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The cover scans I've done are in ".txt" format because of 110MB's anti-hotlinking setup for images. To get them, just download them with a "right click/save link as" and save them to your PC. Once you have them, change the extension to ".jpg" and you'll have the image. It seems dumb, but you can't even "right click/save link as" with a jpg from there, so I had to do this.
...=Still Open Requests=...
Alien Soldier (PAL) - cover
Bare Knuckle 3 (JAP) - cover
Bible Adventures - cover
Chase H.Q. 2 (US) - cover
Dick Tracy (US) - cover
NHL 96 (US) - cover
Two Crude Dudes (PAL) - cover
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (PAL) - cover
WWF Raw (US) - cover
Alien soldier (PAL/JAP) - manual
B.O.B. (US) - manual
Castle of Illusion (US) - manual
Chuck Rock (US) - manual
Columns 3 (US) - manual
Forgotten Worlds (JAP) - manual
Ghouls 'N' Ghosts (JAP) - manual
Megaman the Wily Wars (PAL) - manual
Michael Jackson Moonwalker (US) - manual
Micro Machines 96 (US/PAL) - manual
Mutant League Hockey (US/PAL) - manual
New Zealand Story (JAP) - manual
Super Hydlide (PAL) - manual
Super Street Fighter II (US) - manual
Syndicate (US/EU) - manual
Tyco Power Plug ??? - manual
Weaponlord (US) - manual
Mutant League Footbal (US) - cover and manual
Rocket Knight Adventures (PAL) - cover and manual
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys ??? - cover and manual