Quantcast

Thread: Is my Sega CD broken

Default Is my Sega CD broken

Hello,

I recently purchased a sega cd 2.0 with a model 1 genesis from a used gaming store. I have long lost the sega cd games I had as a child.. the only remaining one I could find was a copy of Tomcat Alley that was severly scratched and damaged and therefor was not reliable for testing the unit with.

So I tried burning a couple of games, I tried to burn Out of this World II with WAV/cue/iso method and then sonic CD with mp3/iso/cue method on to CD-R's.

Neither of them worked, both times the Sega CD would boot up and say "Reading Disc" for about 5 seconds or so and then the message to press the Start Button would display. ALl the time the red light on the unit is blinking. When I press start I just get the NO DISC screen

So I guess my question is, is this a common problem with sega CD's and is there a way to fix it.. I am thinking the problem is on the laser or w/e that reads the disc... of course I could of burnt the games incorrectly also, but I am pretty sure I did it right.. followed the directions from two differnt tutorials carefully.

Appreciate any help.

Sounds more like a problem with the games you burned. Supposedly, Sega CDs are better at reading CD-Rs than other CD-based consoles of the era, like the Turbo Duo, but they can still be a bit testy at times. It all depends on how they were burned.

I say don't write off the console just yet. Find a cheap game and give it a try. If it still doesn't work, sell it all off for parts.

The TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM can read illegally pirated CD-Rs just fine. This is one small reason I prefer it over the Duo... well that and the fact that it is more reliable than the Duo in general.

Yeah, I find the Duo to be way too fragile.

Raging in the Streets

Check the disc door is closed properly - my Mega-CD II occasionally thinks the door is open, sometimes in the middle of a game. Press down (gently!) on the flipup door as the disc is spinning up, that might help.

Thread Information