Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I never realized it but Sonic 2 on Game Gear is hard and painful as nails.

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Default I never realized it but Sonic 2 on Game Gear is hard and painful as nails.

How did this game get green lighted as an official Sonic 2 game for Game Gear and a pack-in title to boot.

It's like 10x harder than the predecessor, and ridiculously unforgiving when it comes to trying to avoid falling into a nail bed, lava, or open pit at every run jump.

it's bad Tails is not playable in the game, but is heavily promoted in the zone pre-caps and intro, and the new abilities such as the spindash found on the big brother Genesis Sonic 2 is not in this game.

There's just too many traps in this game, and the level design looks more close to Sonic CD than it does Sonic 2.

any thoughts on Game Gear Sonic 2, also ported for SMS users as well.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

GG verison is hindered by the screen size.... SMS game is great, and much nicer.

I like the SMS Sonic2 more thna MD Sonic2
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

EDIT: Didn't notice you were talking about Sonic 2 on Game Gear, not Sonic 1.

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

It's famously difficult. To not notice means you must never have played it much.
    S A V E R U S T Y

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I really don't like GG Sonic 2, except a few small parts here & there, like that trippy stage with diagonal rain & lightening

Its music and graphics are extremely bland and lacking compared to GG Sonic 1, w/ more polished, colorful graphics, and a beautiful soundtrack that must be the best I've heard come out of my Game Gear. GG Sonic 2 is bland in all ways; gameplay is cheap & impossible. What a miserably disappointing game; how dare they even call it Sonic 2!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
    It's famously difficult. To not notice means you must never have played it much.
    I never really owned it until now TBH, borrowed it long time ago, but had owned GG Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble.
    Sonic 2 GG is like Super Mario Lost Levels hard.

On the SMS it's WAY easier due to the screen size, it's a pretty night and day difference. (in fact, Sonic 2 on the SMS is a relatively easy game -especially the bosses)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    On the SMS it's WAY easier due to the screen size, it's a pretty night and day difference. (in fact, Sonic 2 on the SMS is a relatively easy game -especially the bosses)
    really? I just find the game to be terrible and not as near as polished as it's big brother Genesis Sonic 2, or even Sonic 1.

I never had issues with finding air bubbles under water on the Genesis Sonic, but on Game Gear it's like they purposely made this a easy trap, where there are very view air bubble areas under water.

I hate that stupid glide thing, worst sonic accessory ever.

Enemies regenerate themselves once you kill pass them and go back.

I also don't get the whole point of no rings during 3rd act.

Sonic Triple Trouble is far better Sonic portable game.

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Yeah I really want the SMS Sonic 1 & 2 but no one on amazon sells it.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26764&dateline=128258  8271

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

It's only that retarded hang glinding part that ruins the whole game. The first time I beat that part I beat the whole game. When it comes to spikes, this game is a lot more forgiving than most others. You can cheat by running along spikes for quite a while, plus you can usually recapture your rings too. But that hang glinding part, I don't know WTF they were thinking with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    GG verison is hindered by the screen size.... SMS game is great, and much nicer.

I like the SMS Sonic2 more thna MD Sonic2

amen on that brother

i like the sonic games on the sms more then the megadrive version
    but the sonic games are completly diffrent on all the sms versions

Liking Sonic 2 on SMS/Game Gear more than the epic great Genesis version is blaspheme.

I went to check out Sonic 2 on SMS from a emulator to see how different it was for GG and it is slightly better, the added resolution do make the game less prone to easily running right into nger, but there's still aslew of other oddities in the game as the GG version, and bugs starting with that botched intro playing the Sonic 2 title song on the intro attract segment. It's funny because the Sonic 2 intro is all happy and upbeat but it's showing a frighten Tails getting chased by Robotnik and getting caught, all to the tune of the Sonic 2 intro. Then when the actual Sonic 2 title screen appears there's no music playing.

This looks like sloppy programing that I wonder why they didn't correct it before releasing.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

It was a poor downport from the Master System version. First boss is as hard as it is because they couldn't be bothered to re-program the boss's attacks patterns to accommodate for the smaller screen space. It gets even worse in Sky High Zone when you have to make blind leaps of faith. One of the biggest crimes in platformers; that and continuous bottomless pits.

As bad as the port is, it's better than the lazy up-port of G-Sonic to the Master System; they couldn't even be bothered to alter the resolution.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 01-19-2015 at 07:06 PM.

I like it. I used to have the timing down pat on Tails' "Third Blink" for the cheats on the opening screen. Not that hard and I beat it but I also had a game gear BITD and dedicated hours to it.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I like it. I used to have the timing down pat on Tails' "Third Blink" for the cheats on the opening screen. Not that hard and I beat it but I also had a game gear BITD and dedicated hours to it.
    I don't hate the game (it's an okay entry in the series), I'm just not that ecstatic over the GG port. They could of handled it a bit better. It's still pretty playable, minus a few nagging discrepancies.

Thread Information