Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I never realized it but Sonic 2 on Game Gear is hard and painful as nails.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training eheheh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The Game Boy Pocket was out in 1996. A revised Game Gear should have been made ahead of it.
    hmm i doubt about that, in 1996 game gear was practically dead, it was going to be another sega error and fail especially because the lack of good games

game gear was my first console, sega surprisingly always have good support of games in portugal especially for game gear, but it wasn´t enough, gameboy here with worst support had more games

I may be in the minority but I actually find this game to be a bit of a gem. I've been playing it a lot lately and finally got that chaos emerald in stage 2 and I almost beat the entire game. I don't mind the difficulty and think it adds to the game. I too never liked this game as much as a kid but like a fine wine grew to like it and now I consider it one of my favorites for the Game Gear! I think many of you just need to admit that you're not up to the task of playing hard or demanding games any more!
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I may be in the minority but I actually find this game to be a bit of a gem. I've been playing it a lot lately and finally got that chaos emerald in stage 2 and I almost beat the entire game. I don't mind the difficulty and think it adds to the game. I too never liked this game as much as a kid but like a fine wine grew to like it and now I consider it one of my favorites for the Game Gear! I think many of you just need to admit that you're not up to the task of playing hard or demanding games any more!
    I have been curious to ask people who like this game:

Do you find it seems really sad though? Tails is kidnapped (apparently to be murdered if Sonic doesn't get all the emeralds), the graphics generally seem plain, and the music seem to have no joy, and all sadness.

So you guys who like it, do you still think it seems gloomy and sad???

Raging in the Streets

The dark ending is so out of place in a Sonic game it goes all the way around the cycle and actually ends up being amusing in a morbid way.

Like the simple idea that Robotnik murders Tails because Sonic can't get to him in time is just... funny? In an odd way.

I just sat down for a marathon play session with this game and my trusty blue Game Gear and sat this beast through to the end. Green Hills Zone Act 3 almost gave me fits but I persevered and finished this game with all the emeralds and the true ending! It definitely has more of a bleak feel to it but it's always drew me in, maybe because of that. This has become one of my favorite Game Gear games and I'm not even a big Sonic fan in general. The difficulty is what kept me coming back to this. My hat is still off to those who figured out where all of the emeralds were and how to navigate Scrambled Egg Zone back then without the internet to help them!
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    My hat is still off to those who figured out where all of the emeralds were and how to navigate Scrambled Egg Zone back then without the internet to help them!
    Ugh. I was lucky I found a nice Sonic 1+2 guide (covering both 8 and 16-bit games) at Barnes and Noble that mapped all this stuff out for me. I would've had no chance otherwise.

Nowadays, I can never remember exactly which tubes to go through, so I have to trial-and-error my way through it. It's still a fun game, though.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I remember that well, it was a real frustration inducer. I somehow managed it though, and back without the internet. One of my rare achievements. It was a good game, I sank a few hours into it now I recollect. It was a shame you couldn't play as tails until the next installment though, I always felt that was a bit of a con.

Wasn't the Japanese version called "Sonic and Tails"? That's just flagrant false advertising.

Imagine Beavis and Butt-Head where you can't play as Butt-Head. BUT HE'S THE COOLEST ONE!

Raging in the Streets

Nah, Sonic Chaos is called Sonic & Tails in Japan.

Crap, right, nevermind. I was thinking Chaos was Sonic and Tails 2, but that's Triple Trouble. I must've been conflating that with the "Sonic/Tails" graphic on the Sonic 2 cart.

That's still kinda false advertising, though.

Banned by Administrators

Sonic Chaos was the only GG Sonic I had & beat. How does this game compare to that difficulty and fun factor wise?

Sonic chaos is an absolute Cakewalk. It's fun but their overall Simplicity of it detracts from the game as a whole as a whole.

Banned by Administrators

^ Sounds about right. I was mighty disappointed as kid too see that that was the mighty evolution of Sonic games for Game Gear. Also the reason I never gave another GG Sonic a chance.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

It was disappointing, far too easy. Its flavour was 'off' somehow, it didn't feel like a Sonic game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Tanooki's Avatar

I think I'm just very out of practice and I haven't had a Game Gear in a dozen years but Sonic 2 seems to have some level of challenge to it, but I don't think I'd classify it as nasty by any means. I just got a GG here a couple weeks ago and added Sonic 2 along with Spinball and Chaos since then as well so far. It's kind of nice, going in with such a long draw away nothing is in my memory so it's like a new game again, so I'd think it's kind of fair with me saying it's not horrible but it's not a pushover. Maybe Chaos is, haven't really scraped that one yet.

Thread Information