Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Disney's The Lion King

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

I don't intend to voice whenever a review strikes me as faulty but this one's excessive in every category.

Misspellings and errata: (PP1) 'weary' for 'wary'; (PP5) 'of' for 'off', 'site' for 'sight',
    Youíll soon fighting meaner and meaner enemies, until youíre eventually chased away and come back full adult,
    needs two corrections; (PP6) 'games' lacks an apostrophe, 'too' for 'to'; (PP7)
    See, as in with any
    and
    itís hard for a younger children
    need pruning.

The review's also curt to the point it omits several elements such as lv design and graphics. For instance a few words on the diversionary games Timon and Pumba have and a mention how Virgin fared in translating some very unGenesis like colours to our machine. Neither addressed is control, the biggest flaw in either version. There are a few other missing detractors since brought up by posters in this thread.
    Compared too the SNES version, the Genesisí music and FX sound near Playstation-like.
    No. Just no. The SNES's sound is much richer and more natural; those who find it muffled can simply turn their volume up. Also no crackle in the voice clips.

That we disagree on the final score is immaterial, my complaint is that the game's every fault was glossed over. I'd place it at 7/10 due to its being basically pleasant and high quality, but the dubious hit detection and irritating hazard placement (stones and bats) forbid a near perfect score. These flaws are not limited to the 2nd lv either.
    On a related note, for all the praise this game's animation gets I'd like to point out that adult Simba's jumping resembles an old Cadillac on hydraulics.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    This game isn't that difficult. Except maybe the stampede level.
    Sorry man, I'm aware this an ancient post of yours I'm quoting, but it's funny to me you picked the easiest stage from any Disney game on the Genesis as the one to give anybody trouble in a tricky and sometimes buggy game.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Well it's the only stage in the game that gave me any trouble, if I'm being honest. I don't think it's the easiest stage in any Disney game on the Genesis, either; the early stages of this game, Aladdin and The Jungle Book are easier, most stages in Castle of Illusion are easier, pretty much the entirety of World of Illusion (minus the 1P Donald stage with the islands) is easier, too. Maybe that's just me, though.

I still like this game better than Aladdin, but I don't think I'd rate either of them higher than 7/10.
    Last edited by jerry coeurl; 11-14-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I agree that this game was much more enjoyable than Aladdin, and obviously moreso than Jungle Book which I found to be rather dull. Both of those games bore me to tears. Pinocchio seems to be based on the Mickey Mania engine, but inferior to said game. I'd say, as far as Virgin Interactive Disney-Sega titles go, I'd place Lion King just behind MM as far as their best efforts go. Unless Maui Mallard counts, and I can't remember if it was by them.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Hero of Algol

Mickey Mania is a Traveller's Tales game.
    Maui Mallard is an Eurocom Entertainment Software.

Also, the team that worked in Aladdin is not the same that worked in The Lion King, despite both games being developed by Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Neither addressed is control, the biggest flaw in either version. There are a few other missing detractors since brought up by posters in this thread.
    No. Just no. The SNES's sound is much richer and more natural; those who find it muffled can simply turn their volume up. Also no crackle in the voice clips.
    The only sfx "problem" that I remember about the SNES version is the Simba's roar being totally off.
    The music has good vocals on the SNES, what resembles the movie soundtrack better.
    Still comparing, the SNES version screen is cropped when compared to the Genesis version and there are some animation frames lacking in spots.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    On a related note, for all the praise this game's animation gets I'd like to point out that adult Simba's jumping resembles an old Cadillac on hydraulics.
    hehe
    I never liked the look of that segment. David Perry's Virgin games were clearly better animated IMO.
    Last edited by Barone; 11-14-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Master of Shinobi NostalgicMachine's Avatar

I played the hell out of both versions of this game.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Still comparing, the SNES version screen is cropped when compared to the Genesis version and there are some animation frames lacking in spots.
    You're right about this; I didn't bring up graphics because the reviewer didn't but I'd still take the SNES version even with the cropping since one can peer up and down, the colour's just off on the MD, it has a weird forced vibrancy as if a bunch of intense hues were pushed together in an attempt to create an illusion of a colour the MD can't produce. This really stands out on stage 2, a lv that does not need any more distractions.
    The MD version does play cleaner but even w/o interest in the licence I feel it's worth considering the more attractive version of such a game.
    The reviewer also mentions 1UP respawns after death, eg in lv 2: Simba grabs a 1UP, falls in the lake, splash, respawns, grabs that 1UP again. Which is how I remember it. The SNES version does not respawn those. Also its Stampede lv seems shorter but I'd have to crack out the MD version again and don't feel like messing with codes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl
    Well it's the only stage in the game that gave me any trouble, if I'm being honest.
    In that case you're miles better at the game than I am. No surprise.

SNES version, like all Virgin interactive games has fewer sound effects on SNES if I recall correctly.

I agree about music and colours though, SNES version is less dithered, and usually has music which sounds closer to the film (some levels sound a lot worse than others though), Mega Drive definitely plays a little better though, and its easier too.

Master of Shinobi NostalgicMachine's Avatar

I swear the second level is more frustrating/tricky on the SNES.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

An awesome game.

This game should be iconic, for what developers can create when they have enough ROM space. Simba has so many different frames of animation, the graphics don't look tiled at all, you even got narrated cut-scenes.

Typical 1994 Genesis game.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I really wanted this game for Xmas back in 1994 and neither my parents nor the game disappointed me. This is a gorgeous looking and gorgeous sounding platform classic from the masters of the art, Virgin, who developed the game alongside Disney Interactive. This is truly a game worthy of, in my opinion, the best Disney film ever made in every aspect. This is a tough game, tougher than Aladdin that's for sure, but I can finish it with little problem due to the fact I played it to death as a kid back in the day.

It's definitely safe to say that the Mega Drive had the best Disney licensed games during it's war with the SNES. Although a lot of the film licensed games were released on both platforms we had by far the superior version of Aladdin and us Mega Drive owners were also treated to exclusives like Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion and Quackshot.

You're going to hate me for this, but while I loved Aladdin and The Jungle Book, The Lion King never got me hooked. I don't know if it was because I felt weird controlling a quadruped and I've never been able to make it past Simba's cubhood without cheating or because I never fancied the movie. Technically it's excellent, maybe even better than Aladdin because moving a four legged animal realistically on a video game is way harder to move a human, plus the enviroments of the movie are wonderfully recreated. The stampede is a masterpiece...
    And, still, for some reason, this game never grew on me. It's one of those things one can't understand about himself.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by kevinski View Post
    I can't remember if I played the Genesis or SNES version, but I remember having no end of trouble in the Hakuna Matata level with those damn apes smacking me around. I never managed to make it past that level. And the second level was a bitch, as well, but I was able to get through it.
    I remember that. The 2nd level was a real memoriser. Had to road to get those apes to change their direction and they threw Simba in another direction. A real trap to force people t play the game. The rest of the levels are easy. I did complete the game, after the fifth level, the game changes to adult Simba who could attack unlike young Simba so it was interesting for a platformer for the time. I borrowed the game from a friend.

Thread Information