Quantcast

Thread: 1994 Re-release of Night Trap?

Default 1994 Re-release of Night Trap?

Original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83WCFwfc94

Vs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssXtJ__mEbc

I hadn't realized the later version (post lawsuit) version of Night Trap had been used the 3DO/PC/32x intro and also seems to use better video encoding, probably the compression schemes used for most 1993/94 onward FMV games and the color optimization seems better. (far less clash)

I haven't found a ROM for this one yet, but it's really interesting that they did that. (would have been interesting if they did a Sewer Shark re-release like that and had the streaming audio of the 3DO game -lower quality obviously -as long as they kept the better controls)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Hard Road! Raging in the Streets Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83WCFwfc94

Vs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssXtJ__mEbc

I hadn't realized the later version (post lawsuit) version of Night Trap had been used the 3DO/PC/32x intro and also seems to use better video encoding, probably the compression schemes used for most 1993/94 onward FMV games and the color optimization seems better. (far less clash)

I haven't found a ROM for this one yet, but it's really interesting that they did that. (would have been interesting if they did a Sewer Shark re-release like that and had the streaming audio of the 3DO game -lower quality obviously -as long as they kept the better controls)
    I don't know what exactly you mean with "I haven't found a ROM for this one yet", but I sent you a link for the re-release version in a pm.

Hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    I haven't found a ROM for this one yet,
    Its called a disc image, not rom.
    I’m tired of pretending I’m not a total bitchin’ rock star from Mars.

Same difference. (you could argue the same about game images captured from carts not being "ROM" as such and of course the ROM in CD-ROM is the same abbreviation but in a different context more or less -both are read only data but you can access semiconductor ROM like RAM -more or less- but not with a CD -or magnetic disk for that matter, and flash memory you can read from like RAM -if in a parallel interface- but not write to it as such)

Anyway, I found the ISO already on emuparadise and it turns out I was wrong in my assumption.

The format is the same as the original game, same low res 168x104 window and the exact same conversion for everything but the intro. I'm not even sure they even used a better algorithm for the intro or if the footage simply converted better with the original format.
    So just a lazy re-release with the new intro (some claim it was the original intro from 1987 but I think it may have been created after the Sega version), not taking advantage of the advancements made in video encoding on the MCD in '93 and '94.
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

The first release has a way better intro with the Genesis controller and whatnot. The 1994 release they seem tired and bored, plus no Sega controller.

Did they remove any of the controversial scene with the chick getting attacked by the Aug in the shower? It certainly wasn't anything bad, but the scene still seems to be there in its entirety in the 32X version. I don't know why they would re-release the game just to give it a more generic intro when the original catered to the system... no need to dump that intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    The first release has a way better intro with the Genesis controller and whatnot. The 1994 release they seem tired and bored, plus no Sega controller.

Did they remove any of the controversial scene with the chick getting attacked by the Aug in the shower? It certainly wasn't anything bad, but the scene still seems to be there in its entirety in the 32X version. I don't know why they would re-release the game just to give it a more generic intro when the original catered to the system... no need to dump that intro.
    No that's a myth from what I've read (sever other forums mentioned it and the youtube comments and direct gameplay comparison videos), the only change was the intro (to the one used by the 3DO/32x/PC/Mac) and the box art.

Some claim the into on the later versions was the original 1987 footage that Sega omited, but I think it's more likely that that scene was added after the fact in both versions in final production and had to be re-done for the non-sega specific releases.
    And I agree, the original Sega CD one is more interesting.

Oh and on the box art, has anyone here seen the original art panel used for the cover?
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/20/ni...-sale-on-ebay/
    -------------

The intro that was in the ORIGINAL Sega CD release, the one where he holds a Genesis controller, was recorded several years after the rest of the game. A much better intro. Still, I see no reason to dump it. I wish Melf would ask Digital Pictures about this in an interview. But the former DP people HATE talking about Night Trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    The intro that was in the ORIGINAL Sega CD release, the one where he holds a Genesis controller, was recorded several years after the rest of the game. A much better intro. Still, I see no reason to dump it. I wish Melf would ask Digital Pictures about this in an interview. But the former DP people HATE talking about Night Trap.
    I know that, but I'm wondering if the other intro was actually filmed in 1987, or if neither was done until the early 90s and that was the one part of the game left unfinished. (then again, the in-game actors/voices sound the same... and the costumes look more professional in the non Sega themed version)

But yeah, the inflection and the fact they use the Genesis controller makes the Sega CD original awesome.
    -------------

Thread Information