Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disney's TaleSpin

I got the genny version and the tg16 version mixed up. both suck but the genesis is a little better with the controls and attack. the graphics are good though, but it's just a boring game. too bad it wasn't like quackshot, talespin is a pretty good IP to use, no one made a good game though!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I really liked this game as a kid (loved the cartoon too) but as an adult I'm really struggling to remember why! I find the flying levels just as fun as I did back then but the platforming sections are badly designed and the boss fights are drawn out and tedious. I was really suprised by how bad some parts of it were because, as I said, my 10yr old self really enjoyed it. Anyone else have really fond memories of playing certain games as a kid only to play them again as an adult and realise that they are actually cack?

I had fun with this with a friend back in the day. Now I can hardly bring myself to complete the first level. It's just so bland and boring - sold it.

Nope. This one's not good at all.

You see, back then I got quickly bored of this game, but it was most of all for the language barrier. Non-native speaker, just learning my first few words as an extra-curricular activity before English entered our curricular itinerary... I didn't know I was supposed to collect 10 cargo crates, so I didn't go past the first level.

As an adult, I played this game knowing what I have to do a few times, and I still find it boring due to what I would dare to call lazy programming: first, we have the level layout. Who came with the bright idea of having almost all the walls thick but ethereal, creating blind spots where any enemy (especially those obnoxious crabs) can hit you at their will? Then there's the collision detection issue. It's one of the most random games I ever played in this aspect. And let me point out that before the MD, I had a Sinclair Spectrum. Talk about collision detection here! A 5-year old frustrated ad nauseam! Well, TaleSpin has a collision detection that renders the likes of Manic Miner or Camelot Warriors easy! Luckily, sometimes this awful collision detection works in the player's favour: Yes, you get cheap hits and, yes sometimes it's hard to determine whether you actually hit an enemy or not (those lions with the karate-gi...), but, especially in the boss fights, the computer seems to be as confused as you.
    Man, some of the programmers deserve a holiday in Thembria.

On the good side, graphics are nice-looking, for sure, with big characters and an overall cheery atmosphere, and the music and sound FX are passable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I had played the game at a friends house. Was really weird. The levels weren't that exciting. Felt like you were moving around a painting with the static levels as I remember. I don't remember it that well and I had lost interest.

Thread Information