Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strider

Default strider

why didn't sega cd ever get an enhanced version of strider like turbo? someone should do that.

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

Because Genesis version is already good enough and Sega CD wouldn't add anything radical.
    Because loadings of Sega CD and, if there could have been, cutscenes would broke arcadeness of this game.
    Because Strider was kinda old when Sega CD came out. That wouldn't be "First Perfect (Sure it's only almost perfect) Port from Arcades! Now with a WHOLE 8 MegaBit Power!" for sure.
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

it didn't hit turbo cd til like '94 man

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

That and the Strider 'port' for ACD, wasn't originally an ACD game. It started life back in '91. And was picked back up as an ACD title later on. Maybe they released they still had the license for it, or maybe they learned the license was affordable enough to release the game. I dunno. But it's not an ACD game designed from the ground up. I've spent a lot of time tracing through the ACD game (the code, the ISO track - lots of old Strider development graphics/etc). All the evidence I've found points to that it was originally an CD2.0 or SuperCD project, that they adapted from. The lack of any sort of polish of this port, isn't surprising either.

Given what I said is true, that would explain why it showed up on the ACD but not the MCD (or even just a US/EU SCD release).

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    That and the Strider 'port' for ACD, wasn't originally an ACD game. It started life back in '91. .
    It started life in 1990 and was in fact a Super Grafx project, before then being moved to PC-Eng CD-Rom development and then to the Arcade card.

Because loadings of Sega CD and, if there could have been, cutscenes would broke arcadeness of this game.
    Loading never made the Final Fight any less of an brilliant Arcade conversion, and there are Cut Scenes in the Arcade game its self.

I so wanted a Final Fight Mega CD style update for Strider. You could have all the speech from the Arcade, redone CD quality music, arcade perfect Sound effects and maybe small improvements to the animation patters .

SOJ really should have made Strider on the Mega CD, and Ghost N Ghouls . Just improving on already brilliant Mega Drive versions
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

The SuperGrafx origins of Strider ACD is probably just a rumor. Last I checked nobody has even seen a working beta for SuperGrafx Strider, and there was even a nice article online about how the early magazine pics were actually PC or Arcade shots that were altered. At any rate, I own and actually like Strider ACD quite a bit but it doesn't look anything like the rumored SuperGrafx game.

This article has even more info:
    http://lscmainframe.topcities.com/features/supergrafx/

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

Loading never made the Final Fight any less of an brilliant Arcade conversion, and there are Cut Scenes in the Arcade game its self.
    I don't remember Final Fight CD having half-minute cutscenes between levels or 10-second of Boss talking. Also, Strider is a lot more flashy game than Final Fight.

Btw, looking at YouTube video of Turbo Strider, music feels like it's coming from somewhere else, only not from the game. And since it's a GAME music, it's a very bad thing (In my philosophy). Same I can say about Final Fight CD. Couldn't resist from saying this.
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

The Turbo version sucks, period. I've played it, and just don't like it, AT ALL. The Genesis version is WAY better. But if you want it on cd, I highly recommend the PS1 version! It's graphically and musically arcade perfect. AND if you want CD music there is a CD Music Arrange option you can turn on. I personally prefer the original music to the arrange music.

Should be able to find it on eBay somewhere I am sure, I dunno - I just burned off a backup.
    Last edited by oldskool; 11-22-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

I've owned both the turbo duo/pce version of strider and the genny version at the same time and I agree that the genny version is better in game but if you had like the cut sceens and music of the turbo version with they sega genesis graphics and game play in game that would be like the ultimate version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The SuperGrafx origins of Strider ACD is probably just a rumor.
    It was no rumour but the truth of the matter, Poor sales of the unit put pay to that version and it was then moved to a standard PC -Eng game, before being moved to a Arcade PC-Eng game

I don't remember Final Fight CD having half-minute cutscenes between levels or 10-second of Boss talking. Also, Strider is a lot more flashy game than Final Fight.
    Final Fight Mega CD had a nice long intro, it had loading screens before every stage, that to me did make it any less Arcade at all, and it in fact pissed all over the SNES version.

I would have loved SEGA to take an already brilliant game and make it that little better on the Mega CD; with CD music, Arcade perfect sound effects and all the speech as well as some improvements to the animation.
    Back at the time of 1993 that would have been very special, more so given Strider is one of my all time Fav games
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The SuperGrafx origins of Strider ACD is probably just a rumor. Last I checked nobody has even seen a working beta for SuperGrafx Strider, and there was even a nice article online about how the early magazine pics were actually PC or Arcade shots that were altered. At any rate, I own and actually like Strider ACD quite a bit but it doesn't look anything like the rumored SuperGrafx game.
    Actually, those pics aren't of any known ports. There were shown to be unique. And there was an interesting unique piece detail in one of the pics, that made it into the ACD final version (right before the last boss). Chris Covell and I did and in depth look at those pics. Even that Strider shrine site, sites our investigations. They very well may have been mockups (no specific game logic running, or just script based), but I doubt there were done by the magazines. But either way, they weren't shots taken from any existing 'version'.

It was no rumour but the truth of the matter, Poor sales of the unit put pay to that version and it was then moved to a standard PC -Eng game, before being moved to a Arcade PC-Eng game
    Until you have someone specifically on record saying as much, or a proto in hand (which some have tried to fake) - it's still just a rumor.

From the ACD ISO track, I was able to get some proof that the game existing before 1994. My conclusions weren't just pieced together speculation, there was some direct evidence in the ISO track itself. One of the biggest pieces of evidence, that game manufactures tented to leave unused data in the data track emulators (which were just hard drives). New data was written into the data tracks at specific LBA offsets, but the old data is intact. The PCE CD library is littered with remnants of other on going projects at the time. Sometimes other game code, sometimes non PCE game code (parts of text files, C source code, DOS files, game assets before assembling, even alternate game graphics/assets - like beta-ish stuff that didn't make it into the final version, even CDDA stuff!). Strider ACD has a 1991 CD game's remnants all through out the data track. That definitely puts it in around the time the Japanese magazines were stating that it would be a CD project. There are smaller interesting bits about how the data is packed and arranged, that makes no sense for an ACD project - but would be useless to go into details of that here.

The Turbo version sucks, period. I've played it, and just don't like it, AT ALL. The Genesis version is WAY better. But if you want it on cd, I highly recommend the PS1 version! It's graphically and musically arcade perfect. AND if you want CD music there is a CD Music Arrange option you can turn on. I personally prefer the original music to the arcade music.
    I don't like the port either. There are soo many little things that just add up too much. Not to mention, it's half ass finished, sloppy, and contains errors. I started working on palette fixes for some of the sprites, but stopped as it wouldn't really fix the more serious issues. A few issues: one of the worst sprite management I've every seen on the PC-Engine (rivaling that of Tenchi wo Kurau/Dynasty Wars port), poor use of AC memory, sloppy enemy handling, poor to completely corrupt/wrong palette data to pixel data conversion (some enemies are missing colors for no reason other than there are duplicate colors in the subpalette file - a quick fix gives back some colors that are there, but you just can't see them because they are used as duplicates. Some sprites have merged colors for no reason (there's free color slots in the sprite pixel format and sub palette) and even have completely wrong/miss matching palettes. As if they had two conversion sets of sprites, but mixed up which subpalette data group when to which set). Some sprites are redrawn, but are bigger (and worst looking) than the original arcade equiv and cause more flicker (you'd think that if they were going to redrawn something, it would have some sort of benefit to it). There's just soo much wrong with that game, that the added cinemas and CDDA track can't make up for. Nuff said...

If there was a port on SegaCD, that was of the caliber of Final Fight CD but with additional content like the ACD version (like the extra level and such) - that would have been awesome.

Until you have someone specifically on record saying as much, or a proto in hand (which some have tried to fake) - it's still just a rumor.
    You can be sure I do . How about a interview with the actual developer ?

If there was a port on SegaCD, that was of the caliber of Final Fight CD but with additional content like the ACD version (like the extra level and such) - that would have been awesome
    Agreed
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Team Andromeda: Holy crap How could this have gone unnoticed in the PCE community, or even Strider fanatics in general (like that famous shrine site)? You have a piece of info that I've never seen sited for this famous missing port. Totally gotta give you props on that one. Is 'Edge' a UK mag? Is that July/1994 issue?
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 11-22-2010 at 02:19 AM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Wow, rumor becomes fact, just like that. Thanks for posting! Is it just me, or do those shots not look like the ACD game?

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    How could this have gone unnoticed in the PCE community, or even Strider fanatics in general (like that famous shrine site)? You have a piece of info that I've never seen sited for this famous missing port. Totally gotta give you props on that one. Is 'Edge' a UK mag? Is that July/1994 issue?
    Its simple to a lot of people unless its on the Internet or unless they can Google , then it is not true; You wouldn't believe the trouble I had on another board trying to say that Shenmue project cost SEGA over $70 million dollars back in 2000, even though I had the interview with Yu Suzuki on tape.

Unless it was on-line people just will not belive it. Yes it EDGE is UK Based and that is taken from the July Issues 1994. Here is the other page too

Is it just me, or do those shots not look like the ACD game
    They don't . That to me would mean either these are Super Grafx shots or the the game was just continually being moved to a normal PC-End CD-Rom game to an Arcade title back and forth

Because the end game is a complete mess
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information