Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klax

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    just wonder about the controls...
    The controls work splendidly, I played many an hour of Klax on the Lynx like that.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

never played klax untill this year
    on the megadrive

aaaand im terrible at it the pseudo 3d perspective is cool though
    Kitsune in a hat

Here we go...

1st i precise that i also still haven't played the Arcade original & have a question about it : is its 2 players mode a competitive one or there's no interaction between players?

Now, here come my ranking then descriptions / opinion about all ports i played 'til now, from best to worst :

1st : The Namcot made Japanese Mega Drive one.
    2nd : a tie between the Atari Games made Genesis / EU Mega Drive one & the PC Engine one.
    3rd : The NES one (Either Jap' or the unlicensed US one, they're the same).
    4th : The Master System one.
    5th : The Game Gear one.

The Japanese Mega Drive port
    • Content : 2 players competitive mode available; no options menu.
    • Controls : excellent! Lateral movements are fluid & dropping the tiles is fast & responsive. Also, when you accelerate the tiles fall on the... carpet (?) &, while maintaining the D-pad down, then move left or right, it stops their acceleration & when you stop in a column, still while maintaining the D-pad down, their acceleration starts again & IMO it's the most convenient possibility among the 3 that i know (You'll see the two others after...).
    • Visuals : good. The lying tree trunks @the forest scenery is better made than in the Arcade version but the water @the boat scenery is not as well animated as the latter.
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are here + 2 others which seem exclusive to this port : "Very good!" at end of each successful waves & "Oh no!" when you loose & all sound good. Also it seems that there's only one chick's scream & it is harder to obtain than in others versions :> . There's no music. & about SFX, there're ok but some sound a bit scratchy while the one when you want to drop tiles while your bat is empty, "boing!", is lacking. & finally, the increase in volume when the tiles approach is present & well noticeable.

The Atari Games made Genesis / EU Mega Drive port
    • Content : 2 players mode available but no interactions between each others; options menu with quite a lot of stuff.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements are fluid but dropping the tiles can be annoying since it doesn't respond very well nor very fast. Same as the MD Jap' version about the tiles acceleration while moving the bat.
    • Visuals : very good. Not the same scenery order as MD Jap' version. But still haven't see some sceneries like the boat one so still have to discover them...
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are lacking but the screams / applauses are here & match the action (unlike some in the NES port). A cool little music is available + SFX - which sound great - at the same time. The increase in volume when the tiles approach is here too but less noticeable than in the MD Jap' version.

The PC Engine port
    • Content : 1 player only (But despite that it's still written LEFT PLAYER at the top of the screen); options menu with a HUGE amount of stuff but some things are useless.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements lack fluidity but dropping the tiles is fast & responsive. Also, here when you accelerate the tiles fall & move the bat at the same time the tiles continue to fall which can be less convenient depending of how you play.
    • Visuals : very good but one annoying thing, IMO, at the same time... Let's start with the scenery & here it's the same bad-looking lying tree trunks as the Arcade version @the forest scenery but the water @the boat scenery looks great! What annoys me is that the tiles lack a black outline + their colors are especially bright = too flashy, not cool for the eyes. I remember one day i had a long Klax session switching from one port to another & when at a moment i played the Genesis one & then switched to this one it was kinda painful. I have to precise that i like "darkness" but still :p
    • Audio : all the "... waves!" digit' voices are present but they sound scratchy, especially the "Klax wave!" which sound dreadful. Also the screams / applauses are here too & sound ok. There's no music. SFX sound great (+LOL@the one when pressing the drop button while there's no tiles on the bat, fun stuff). The increase in volume when the tiles approach is present & well noticeable & maybe better made progression-wise than in the MD Jap' version.

The NES port
    • Content : 2 players mode available but same as Genesis / EU MD port = no interactions; options menu & also a STUFF menu with DRUM TEST; SOUND TEST & a pointless mini-game : BLOB BALL.
    • Controls : very good except one thing : you can't laterally move the bat while you accelerate the tiles fall. Also the gameplay is quite fast here.
    • Visuals : good NES graphics, do their job.
    • Audio : there are different music available but it's either them or SFX. There's no voices, just a few screams which for some don't even correspond to the action.

The Master System port
    • Content : 1 player only; options menu available.
    • Controls : good. Lateral movements are a bit slippery but dropping the tiles respond better than in the Genesis version. & here it's the same as the PCE version about the tiles acceleration while moving the bat.
    • Visuals : Better than the NES version with more details.
    • Audio : music (= a 8-bit version of the Genesis one) + SFX at the same time. No voices nor screams.

The Game Gear port
    = same as the Master System version but very lower-res & a bit less slippery bat.

I haven't played a lot the 3rd gen' ports but it seems that they lack some sceneries...

The Japanese Mega Drive port also seems a bit easier than some others ports like the Genesis or the PCE ones. But the fact that it also controls better obviously helps. Really when i switch between different ports it's hard to totally enjoy the Genesis or PCE versions when i just played the Japanese Mega Drive one ^^

Now my Klax fantasm : MD Jap' controls + NES pace + MD Jap' 2 players competitive mode + PCE options menu + MD Jap' voices + Genesis / PCE screams / applauses + PCE SFX + Genesis music (with more tracks available)
    A Mega-CD versions including all these things would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    The controls work splendidly, I played many an hour of Klax on the Lynx like that.
    Glad to hear that.

Now another thing but it seems that it's not the case : does it have a 2 players mode? & if so, which kind of?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Now another thing but it seems that it's not the case : does it have a 2 players mode? & if so, which kind of?
    I honestly have no idea, but if it does it would be via the Lynx Multi Player cable. so you'd need 2 Lynx systems.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    it would be via the Lynx Multi Player cable. so you'd need 2 Lynx systems.
    Of course

But from what it seems, it's one player only Grrr i hate missing opportunities!

& as for the Arcade original 2 players mode, is it competitive or not?

I never sat down and played this seriously until it was released on the `Arcade Party Pak` for PS1, I played the Megadrive version later. Klax is not one of my favourite puzzler`s as I am not keen on the perspective so I would give it 5/10

The Mega Drive / Genesis has quite a nice amount of puzzle games unlike what some people say.

Klax is a good addition to the library.

I also like that you have 3 different boxarts depending of the region & even if my fav' is here too the Japanese one, the EU one reminds me some good things from the era :)

Thread Information