Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Chances of a new Mega/Sega CD game

  1. #1
    Road Rasher Anonymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    33
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Chances of a new Mega/Sega CD game

    I wonder what the chances of a new Mega/Sega CD game are? Id love to see a small team put together a game for it. I wish Sonic Megamix was able to be properly published, its so much better than the new sonic 4.

  2. #2
    Mortal Kombat expert Master of Shinobi N.Saibot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Since Pier Solar is so close to shipment, one might expect some new ideas from the Water Melon
    team some time next year. Maybe even for the Mega CD only, would be much easier in terms of
    production anyway and I think, in the very early stages Pier Solar was supposed to run on the
    Mega CD exclusively, without the cartridge.

    Free your music,

  3. #3
    شيطان Nameless One Shai'tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jahannam
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    yeah I think one of the reasons they scrapped the cd only was due to backup ram cart not being so easily obtainable
    Embodiment of paradox and chaos, destroyer of reason and logic, breaker of balance, the unmaker of order, and the opponent of the Creator.

  4. #4
    Sports Talker
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You don't "need" the back up ram cart. The Sega CD does have some internal memory for saves.

  5. #5
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Not to mention, backup ram carts aren't THAT hard to get. I got mine off eBay for like $15, and there were a whole bunch just like it. Getting one brand new CIB might be more expensive, but used ones are fairly cheap.

    Then you have the Neo Myth, which can act as backup ram for the CD (64KB instead of 128KB, but still handy). There's also the MegaCart... I think that also has backup ram capability.

    Anywho, I have a couple ideas for a new game for the SCD... among other platforms. Not a conversion either... I do too many of those already.

  6. #6
    Wildside Expert darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I'd love to see this. In fact, the only thing game-related that I'd love to see more than new Sega CD games would be new Sega Saturn games.

  7. #7
    Wildside Expert db-81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    The problem with a new Sega CD release is piracy. No copy protection on the system means easy copies. It would have to be done for the love of it, and not for profit. I'd buy a new release if it's good, but there are many who'd just torrent it.

  8. #8
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by db-81 View Post
    The problem with a new Sega CD release is piracy. No copy protection on the system means easy copies. It would have to be done for the love of it, and not for profit. I'd buy a new release if it's good, but there are many who'd just torrent it.
    Piracy has ALWAYS existed. It's nothing new. Even old 5.25" Atari/Apple/C64 disks saw wide piracy. No system has ever died from piracy, although some people like to use that excuse. Good games sell well regardless of piracy, and the bad ones can use the excuse that if it weren't for piracy, their steaming pile of crap might have sold a million.

  9. #9
    Wildside Expert db-81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Piracy has ALWAYS existed. It's nothing new. Even old 5.25" Atari/Apple/C64 disks saw wide piracy. No system has ever died from piracy, although some people like to use that excuse. Good games sell well regardless of piracy, and the bad ones can use the excuse that if it weren't for piracy, their steaming pile of crap might have sold a million.
    I agree that good games sell regardless, but nothing is easier to pirate now than a Sega CD game. Back when it came out, cd copiers were very expensive. Now they are everywhere, not to mention the ease of getting copies on the internet. All you need is one willing owner. I still believe the Dreamcast was hurt because of how easy it was to pirate it's games. Yes, piracy didn't kill it, but it certainly didn't help it.

    No corporate game company today would easily agree to make games on a system as easy to pirate for as the Sega cd. It's a reason so few games are developed solely for PC instead of being multi-platform. That's why I said it'd have to be more a labor of love than a profit venture.
    Last edited by db-81; 12-17-2010 at 09:11 PM.

  10. #10
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by db-81 View Post
    No corporate game company today would easily agree to make games on a system as easy to pirate for as the Sega cd. It's a reason so few games are developed solely for PC instead of being multi-platform. That's why I said it'd have to be more a labor of love than a profit venture.
    That's not true - none of Id's games have been copy protected. They're plain discs with a registration #. Plenty of other PC games aren't protected either, and many more use "protection" that is so laughable they might as well be plain discs.

    Copy protection is an idiot's game - it's to make PHB's feel better, and make a buck for some company selling worthless protection. Smart companies don't bother because they know they're just throwing away money on protection. You can always tell a company on the down-slope, they start using some form of copy protection - usually one that was obsolete a decade ago. It's almost always because the PHBs have taken over, and most of the smart employees have bailed.

  11. #11
    Wildside Expert db-81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    That's not true - none of Id's games have been copy protected. They're plain discs with a registration #. Plenty of other PC games aren't protected either, and many more use "protection" that is so laughable they might as well be plain discs.

    Copy protection is an idiot's game - it's to make PHB's feel better, and make a buck for some company selling worthless protection. Smart companies don't bother because they know they're just throwing away money on protection. You can always tell a company on the down-slope, they start using some form of copy protection - usually one that was obsolete a decade ago. It's almost always because the PHBs have taken over, and most of the smart employees have bailed.
    DRM on the PC is stupid. Games are often cracked before they are released. That's why I said it was one of the reasons most games aren't developed solely for PC anymore. Steam is probably the best form of DRM on PC because it doesn't feel like DRM. You can copy your game to as many Computers as you want. You are just limited to playing on one comp. at a time. This isn't really about PC though. Yes I'm aware that I brought it up.

    Consoles are different. Yes you can pirate on them. It's not as easy though. Most people don't want to go through the hassle/risk of installing mod chips, or having their system banned from online content.No mod chip is necessary for a Sega CD, and you certainly won't go online with it!

    People can develop for the Sega CD, and I'd love it if they did. A Sega CD game would have very low production cost compared to modern games. They could very well profit from it. They would just have to accept the fact that they're game will be easily, and widely pirated.

    Good night.

  12. #12
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    28
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by db-81 View Post
    DRM on the PC is stupid. Games are often cracked before they are released. That's why I said it was one of the reasons most games aren't developed solely for PC anymore. Steam is probably the best form of DRM on PC because it doesn't feel like DRM. You can copy your game to as many Computers as you want. You are just limited to playing on one comp. at a time. This isn't really about PC though. Yes I'm aware that I brought it up.

    Consoles are different. Yes you can pirate on them. It's not as easy though. Most people don't want to go through the hassle/risk of installing mod chips, or having their system banned from online content.No mod chip is necessary for a Sega CD, and you certainly won't go online with it!

    People can develop for the Sega CD, and I'd love it if they did. A Sega CD game would have very low production cost compared to modern games. They could very well profit from it. They would just have to accept the fact that they're game will be easily, and widely pirated.

    Good night.
    Not everyone knows that the Sega CD has no copy protection, I mean you see the question all the time. Can I play backups on my Sega CD?

    And their are plenty of ways around it. The Sega CD could easily do a product code system. First time the game is booted up on the console the user types in the product code, which creates a save file validating the game. So that the user doesn't have to keep typing it in.

    I think that if someone really wanted put their mind to it, they could make a great Sega CD game and make a good chunk of change from it with or without piracy.

  13. #13
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    And their are plenty of ways around it. The Sega CD could easily do a product code system. First time the game is booted up on the console the user types in the product code, which creates a save file validating the game. So that the user doesn't have to keep typing it in.
    That was my thought... make it where an invalid code allowed you to play the first few levels as a demo. Sure, someone would eventually post a valid code, but it would keep honest people honest without overly annoying them. That's my main problem with modern "protection" - it's more of a hassle to your actual customers than finding a hack online to get rid of it.

    Another idea is to do the same thing Trent Reznor did with Ghosts and The Slip - put a slightly inferior version online for free and let fans order Special Editions with full quality and extras. With a SCD game, you could include a nicely printed manual, a disc with a printed or lightscribed top, and maybe better/more CDDA tracks.

  14. #14
    Wildside Expert turntablist1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    10

  15. #15
    Sports Talker
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Are you still working on a Wolfenstein 3D for the 32x via the Sega CD port?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •