Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complete, annotated list of JPN Mega CD exclusives

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post

Detonator Organ
    RPG/graphic adventure. Unplayable without knowing Japanese.
    It's just a graphic adventure, no rpg elements. And the command menu is in English but everything else is Japanese.

Genei Toshi: Illusion City
    RPG. Completely unplayable without knowing Japanese. A translation has been attempted; current status unknown. Featured in Left in Japan.
    A translation of the MSX Turbo R version was released a few years ago but the last 25% of the game was untranslated.
    Reviews: 4 Sega CD: Jeopardy, Compton's, Ninja Warriors, Prize Fighter.

Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good.
    -Soren Kierkegaard

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Updated with McMasters's info, and with the news of a possible Funky Horror Band translation!

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Devastator's pretty good, probably my favorite of the non-Japanese language required JP-only Sega CD games (not counting the two that got US cart releases but not CD)...

1. Devastator
    2. Night Striker
    3. Annet Again
    4. Ninja Warriors
    5. Sengoku

... Um, I guess the Ranma game is playable without the language too, but I'd rather not play it.

Updated with McMasters's info, and with the news of a possible Funky Horror Band translation!
    Shadowrun is the translation that's the most wanted though, and Last Armageddon Gaiden second... isn't Funky Horror Band supposed to be not that good? Still though, considering that so far there have been no JP Sega CD RPG fan-translations, anything would be a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post

Shadowrun is the translation that's the most wanted though, and Last Armageddon Gaiden second... isn't Funky Horror Band supposed to be not that good?
    FHB was one of the first Mega-CD games so it isn't that advanced. I think the text and graphics aren't compressed so it will be a lot easier to translate compared to Shadowrun. I would rather the translation community start with the (relatively) easy stuff first instead of toiling on something like Shadowrun for 5 years. Nostalgia 1907 is another early graphic adventure Mega CD game that seems like good starter.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Still though, considering that so far there have been no JP Sega CD RPG fan-translations, anything would be a great start.
    The PS Text Adventures for the Game Can series have now been released as CD patch that can play on real hardware.
    Reviews: 4 Sega CD: Jeopardy, Compton's, Ninja Warriors, Prize Fighter.

Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good.
    -Soren Kierkegaard

Updated to correct broken links, clarify a couple things, and link to Melf's new review of Arcus 1-2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    I've tried playing with that guide and it's not very helpful. It doesn't even explain the command menu. The same thing happened to me when I tried to play Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes 2. The guide was so vague that you still end up guess about what to do next. People need to make their guides more comprehensive! Explain things in more detail!

Updated with some links from Barone, as posted here! Thanks to Melf for the sticky-ification.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-22-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: name change

The Event Death Adder's minion Zigfried's Avatar

I just wrote a walkthrough for Fhey Area, in case you want to link it:
    http://www.unlimitedzigworks.com/277...h-mega-cd.html

For reference, here's the direct link to my Arcus 1-2-3 guide (same one that Melf linked in his review):
    http://www.unlimitedzigworks.com/228...uickstart.html

Links added, thanks! BTW if you ever want to write a review of one of the Mega CD RPGs for the site, I'm sure it'd be welcomed.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I think Heavenly Symphony is missing from this list as well, it just looks like a racing game from what I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think Heavenly Symphony is missing from this list as well, it just looks like a racing game from what I can see.
    I thought that was just the Japanese version of Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit?

Hero of Algol

yeah, with minor differences but the same game.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I thought that was just the Japanese version of Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit?
    Ahh, I didn't know that. I'd never been able to read the subtitle on the cover until I just looked into it. I also updated Wikipedia to show the secondary spelling for the JP release.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Thanks for reviving this thread. With my Everdrive firmware eventually updated I might actually be able to play Mega CD games. This list will come in handy.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Sports Talker

Great list! It's nice to find a couple of English-friendly action games, but it's a shame it's comprised of so many RPGs. Not a whole lot of importing options for non-Japanese speakers.

Thread Information