Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complete, annotated list of JPN Mega CD exclusives

Nameless One

The Wondermega collection is apparently just a variant on the Sega Games Can collections (has some of the games on them like Flicky, Pyramid Magic, etc.), but with a few CD-G tracks as well.

http://www.segagagadomain.com/mega_c...wondermega.htm Info from here (and also from my own playing of the cart, with the caveat that I've never gotten CD-G stuff working on Fusion, and I don't think my burner can write CD-G data either).

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I have the WonderMega Collection - no joke, not an ISO but the legit disc. No Wondermega but I saw it at a dealer at a convention and snatched it up for $20. but I dunno how I could test the CD-G?
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post
    I have the WonderMega Collection - no joke, not an ISO but the legit disc. No Wondermega but I saw it at a dealer at a convention and snatched it up for $20. but I dunno how I could test the CD-G?
    I'm jelly, I just picked up a copy through auction on ebay for about $50 + shipping since it's one of the few MegaCDs I'm still missing. I don't expect a lot since it's a pack in bundle disc, but in my quest to get all the games I can't well leave that one out if I consider the X'EYE pack-ins to be separate releases.

The only thing I'm confused on with that game is whether or not it had an obi/spine card as well. I wouldn't think so since it was only sold as a pack-in, but I've seen odder things appear with Japanese releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

Can anyone confirm that Tokyo Mahjong Gakuen isn't the same game as Gambler Jikko Chuushinha 2? I can't find any solid info on it, no box art or anything, but I have seen translations of Gambler Jikko Chuushinha 2 with the subtitle "Struggle in the Tokyo Mahjong Land", which sounds close enough for me to question if they're the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by nixzero View Post
    Can anyone confirm that Tokyo Mahjong Gakuen isn't the same game as Gambler Jikko Chuushinha 2? I can't find any solid info on it, no box art or anything, but I have seen translations of Gambler Jikko Chuushinha 2 with the subtitle "Struggle in the Tokyo Mahjong Land", which sounds close enough for me to question if they're the same game.
    It's different, I've only seen one copy of Tokyo Mahjong Gakuen show up on ebay and it was about a year ago. It's strikingly uncommon for a Mahjong game, but I'm sure it'll show up eventually. It's been so long since I've seen another copy that I'm beginning to wonder if I ever saw it in the first place, but it's not the same as Gambler game.
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Quiz Scramble Special
    The name pretty much says it all. I'm sure it's a lost cause if you don't speak Japanese.
    It's worth owning for the rad as fuck cover art, mind you.

Death Adder's minion

Thanks xelement5x. Zyrobs, that is some of the best cover art I've seen! It would make an awesome gameroom poster!

Okay so after doing some digging again after thinking about this I've been unable to dig up anything about this game. Everywhere I've looked so far says that Tokyo Mahjong Gakuen is unreleased which really gets under my skin since I'm almost positive I've seen it before.

Even Guardiana doesn't have it listed, and all the stuff on the old SegaBase seems to indicate that it was unreleased as well. I'm wondering if what I was confusing it with was Jango World Cup when I saw it, but I have this really strong feeling that I remember it being listed as Tokyo Mahjong Academy.

I'm happy to believe that it's not a valid release, because that means I'm really only missing like one JP exclusive, but it makes me wonder how it made it on the first post list. Everything that seems to have been used to build that post indicates that it was not released.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'm jelly, I just picked up a copy through auction on ebay for about $50 + shipping since it's one of the few MegaCDs I'm still missing. I don't expect a lot since it's a pack in bundle disc, but in my quest to get all the games I can't well leave that one out if I consider the X'EYE pack-ins to be separate releases.

The only thing I'm confused on with that game is whether or not it had an obi/spine card as well. I wouldn't think so since it was only sold as a pack-in, but I've seen odder things appear with Japanese releases.
    I bought it a year ago at Magfest 2012. I saw it was later going for $100+ but either way the guy didn't know what he had so good deal for me. I've barely touched it. I paid the max I would pay for it - just some meganet games and Quiz Scramble - not Quiz Scramble Special (wonder if/what any difference is?)
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

great list! though I am sad there arent any "must play" imports. I played cyborg 009 and the wolfteam stuff....very rushed lame games :/

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Added a link to the new Heavy Nova CD review, and also corrected inaccurate info about Psychic Detective Vols. 3 & 4, which have nothing to do with the 3DO game of a similar name.

Updated the entries for Dynamic Country Club (not Dynamic Country Golf, as it had been listed!) and F-1 Circus CD.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Going through your list...

A Rank Thunder Tanjouhen (Aランクサンダー 誕生編)
    RPG. Unplayable without knowing Japanese.
    This is actually a graphic adventure game, not an RPG. I'm not sure if it has any RPG elements or not, it may, but it's definitely primarily an adventure game.

Arcus 1-2-3 (アークス I・II・III)
    RPG. Allegedly playable without knowing Japanese, if you use Zigfried's guide cited in Melf's review. Allegedly a very lengthy dungeon crawler. Featured in Left in Japan, and reviewed by Melf in March 2012.
    This is a collection of three games originally released separately on several Japanese computers, including the PC-8801, PC-9801, MSX, and X68000.

Burai: Hachigyoku no Yuushi Densetsu (ブライ 「八ハチ玉タマのノ勇士ユウシ伝説デンセツ」)
    RPG. Unplayable without knowing Japanese. Also on the MSX and SNES.
    Burai is on Turbo CD as well. There's also a sequel that seems to be Turbo CD exclusive.

Death Bringer: The Knight of Darkness (デスブリンガー)
    RPG. Unplayable without knowing Japanese. Dungeon crawler.
    This is a port of a game also available on Turbo CD, PC-9801, and X68000.

F-1 Circus CD(F1サーカスCD)
    Racing game. Apparently quite different from the cart version. Also reviewed by Gratuitous Science (scroll down a bit). Looks to be mostly in English.
    No "apparently" about it, they're completely different games. The cartridge game is a top-down one, like the TG16/Turbo CD F-1 Circus games, while the Sega CD game has a first-person viewpoint in races. Apparently it's not very good, and doesn't use the Sega CD hardware much if at all either (for scaling and the like)?

Game no Kanzume Vol. 1 & 2 [Sega Games Can Vol. 1 & 2] (セガのかんづめ)
    Game collections, most of which are available elsewhere and/or are easily playable without Japanese. The exceptions are the Phantasy Star text adventures, which have recently been translated.
    Specifically, these game collections are of the games that were available on the MD modem service.

Genei Toshi: Illusion City (幻影都市)
    RPG. Completely unplayable without knowing Japanese. A translation has been attempted; current status unknown. Featured in Left in Japan. Poster McMasters notes that "A translation of the MSX Turbo R version was released a few years ago but the last 25% of the game was untranslated." Here's a review at Mobygames.
    Enhanced port of an MSX game, as your description suggests. There's also an FM Towns version released the same year as the SCD one.

Heavy Nova (ヘビーノバ)
    Fighter. Supposedly just the cart version with Redbook audio, more or less, so language shouldn't be an issue. Reviewed on Sega-16 on 2014-01-02.
    Heavy Nova was also released on X68000, but the Sega CD version came first.

Mega Schwarzschild (メガシュヴァルツシルト)
    Space RPG, a la Starflight. Probably unplayable without knowing Japanese. Port from MSX and/or PC Engine. Featured in Left in Japan.
    The Schwarzschild games are strategy games, not RPGs. The series says "Scenario Simulation Game" on the box (in English) on all of the releases, and the SCD version has the Strategy logo on the front, not RPG.

On that note, Sega should have kept those genre logos in the West, it'd have been kind of nice...

Ninja Warriors, The (ニンジャウォーリアーズ)
    Beat-'em-up. Arcade port. 100% playable in English -- in fact, the whole game is in English, including audio! Only the subtitles for the story scenes are in Japanese.
    There's also a Japan-only PC Engine (TG16 HuCard) port of this game, but the Sega CD version is FAR better. The PCE version has worse graphics, worse music (as you'd expect), no multiplayer, and no voiced story or Zuntata Mode of course.

The console versions were Japan-only, but the West did get the arcade game and some computer ports in Europe, too -- there the game was released on Amiga, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, and Atari ST. Yeah, no home releases in the US, oddly. The US did get the SNES sequel, though.

Pro Yakyuu Super League CD (プロ野球スーパーリーグCD)
    Baseball game. Apparently it's almost the same as the cart version, just with added Redbook audio (and maybe FMVs). They also say it was ported from PC Engine, but that might not be correct?
    This is a first-party Sega game, it wasn't on Turbo CD. There is a Turbo CD game called "The Pro Yakyuu Super", but that looks different. This game is a sequel, or port, of Pro Yakyuu Super League '91, which was localized in the US as Sports Talk Baseball. The CD version released a year after the cart version, but I don't know if it has a roster update or not.

Tenbu: Mega CD Special (天舞メガCDスペシャル)
    Strategy/historical sim. Another Nobunaga game, but SegaBase has positive things to say about it. Probably not playable without the language.
    Tenbu is an enhanced port of a PC-9801 game. There is also a SNES port released a bit after the SCD one.

Yumimi Mix (ゆみみ みっくす)
    Anime FMV la Dragon's Lair. Playable without the language, but you probably won't have more than a vague idea of what's going on.
    It might be Dragon's Lair-inspired, and certainly is all cutscenes, but in this game you just choose options from a text menu, when it comes time to make a choice about what to do next, so that's not really the best comparison. It's not an arcade-style game and there's no timer.

Also, Yumimi Mix has an enhanced Saturn version, Yumimi Mix Remix.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 01-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks, A Black Falcon, I've incorporated your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    This is actually a graphic adventure game, not an RPG. I'm not sure if it has any RPG elements or not, it may, but it's definitely primarily an adventure game.
    Interesting. At first glance A Rank Thunder Tanjouhen looks pretty RPG-ish to me, and the stats bar at the bottom starting at about 5:30 includes a "Level" indicator (reberu, or レベル). But the three gameplay videos uploaded by that video don't show any combat or random encounters. I'll list it as a hybrid for now. Have you played it much?

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Thanks, A Black Falcon, I've incorporated your suggestions.
    Very nice, that was quick. The only thing you missed is mentioning the Saturn version of Yumimi Mix.

Interesting. At first glance A Rank Thunder Tanjouhen looks pretty RPG-ish to me, and the stats bar at the bottom starting at about 5:30 includes a "Level" indicator (reberu, or レベル). But the three gameplay videos uploaded by that video don't show any combat or random encounters. I'll list it as a hybrid for now. Have you played it much?
    No, I haven't. It could go in the same adventure/RPG hybrid category that SCD Shadowrun is, maybe? I mean, if it has levels, they've got to be there for a reason, but as you say the gameplay clearly looks like an adventure game.

Also, missed one...
    Alshark (アルシャーク)
    RPG. Unplayable without knowing Japanese. Featured in Left in Japan. At least one Sega-16 member doesn't think much of it. A walkthrough is available at Gamefaqs. Here's a review at Mobygames and a gameplay video.
    Alshark is an enhanced port of an X68000 game. There's also a Turbo CD port that released the year after the SCD version, but it's still the same ugly, not so great game there too.

Thread Information