Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom 32X Hacks (Wads)

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

Default Doom 32X Hacks (Wads)

I wanted to make such thread to put all those Doom 32X Wad at one place. As also, to give feedback.

By using Saxman's Wad Convector (http://www.4shared.com/file/19817505...ad32x_110.html And thanks to SaxMan for this program) the things you can change in Doom 32X:
    Change, add and delete levels. (You know, 15 free to choose slots, 1 for secret, 1 for final). Change, add and delete flats and patches. (Or how those textures called). Change sprites.
    Level 3 always need to be in game or else the game will refuse to start levels.

Since this forum doesn't tolerate roms, files need to be an IPS patches.

Hacks:
    I will put here only if authour will put his work in this thread.
    3 Steps From The Hell

Anybody have Doom 32X projects?
    I heard that some guy wanted to port Doom 2 maps in 32X. I wonder how he is doing.
    Last edited by Foxysen; 01-10-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

I did some Doom 32x ROM hacking many years ago, and noticed an unusual level arrangement. They use levels 1 through 15 for the regular levels, then they skip levels 16 through 22, then level 23 is a continuation of one of the regular levels, and level 24 is the secret/hidden level.

Maybe levels 16 through 22 were originally for a different platform (PC?) and were removed for the 32x?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    I did some Doom 32x ROM hacking many years ago, and noticed an unusual level arrangement. They use levels 1 through 15 for the regular levels, then they skip levels 16 through 22, then level 23 is a continuation of one of the regular levels, and level 24 is the secret/hidden level.

Maybe levels 16 through 22 were originally for a different platform (PC?) and were removed for the 32x?
    They were part of Jaguar Doom. In fact, the wad for Jaguar Doom was converted using that tool mentioned earlier so that the 32X has the same levels as the Jaguar version. It's linked in the thread over at SonicRetro.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    They were part of Jaguar Doom. In fact, the wad for Jaguar Doom was converted using that tool mentioned earlier so that the 32X has the same levels as the Jaguar version. It's linked in the thread over at SonicRetro.
    Thanks. Just played some of the Jaguar levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxysen View Post
    Anybody have Doom 32X projects?
    I heard that some guy wanted to port Doom 2 maps in 32X. I wonder how he is doing.
    As far as I know, it is going nowhere. The last time I talked to the project leader, only maps 1-10 were (mostly) done. I finished the map design for MAP29: The Living End, and had some work done on MAP15: Industrial Zone, but that's about it.

I was also working on converting Episode 4 over, but I haven't worked on it in ages either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Thanks. Just played some of the Jaguar levels.
    Keep in mind that in order to play MAP20: Unholy Cathedral, you will need my edit of that map, as the original Jaguar version is to big for the 32X version to handle (and will crash the game). A link should be in Saxman's original thread here. I think romhacking.net has it as well.

As far as I know, it is going nowhere. The last time I talked to the project leader, only maps 1-10 were (mostly) done. I finished the map design for MAP29: The Living End, and had some work done on MAP15: Industrial Zone, but that's about it.
    I will be seriously amazed if somebody will sucessfully port one of those city-like levels from Doom 2. Does MAP15 actually worked on 32X?
    I was also working on converting Episode 4 over, but I haven't worked on it in ages either.
    Episode 4 had some "lively" (I don't know how to call them) places, so I am interested in it. Though, I hated that level with 4-sided teleport in center, because it had just too many lava.
    Keep in mind that in order to play MAP20: Unholy Cathedral, you will need my edit of that map, as the original Jaguar version is to big for the 32X version to handle (and will crash the game). A link should be in Saxman's original thread here. I think romhacking.net has it as well.
    I wonder, what cuts you had to make. I remeber being interesting in it, and compared Saxman's original and yours versions, but I didn't noticed anything.

Does MAP15 actually worked on 32X?
    Not without significant edits.

Though, I hated that level with 4-sided teleport in center, because it had just too many lava.
    Strange, that's most peoples (including my) favorite episode 4 level. It's E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly, BTW.

I wonder, what cuts you had to make. I remeber being interesting in it, and compared Saxman's original and yours versions, but I didn't noticed anything.
    Mostly those red details on the walls in the first hallway the two middle doors at the beginning of the map lead to.

Smile

3 Steps From The Hell
    It's a port of my Doom wad (Which is my first wad). Just for fun. Enjoy.
    7 maps, which take slots from 09 to 15.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

How about Doom 2 Wads, would that work??

If you mean to port all those monsters and SSG from Doom 2 into Doom 32X, then it can't be done with this tool.
    Levels? Maybe, consider on what level you want to port. Not big for sure. All those city levels would need to be heavely edited. Also, Doom 32X don't even have all things and triggers (It doesn't have crushers) from original Doom, not saying about Doom 2.

Wildside Expert

Awesome stuff! I found this topic by chance and was surprised my utility has been used since a year ago when I first released it.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I mean just the Levels of Doom 2 & now Final Doom..Can it be done??

Ok, I will quickly (Actually, slowly, have other things to do) copy levels in Doom 32X to see for what levels 32X have enough memory to play them. (I will edit this post)
    I check only memory, nothing else.
    Doom 2:
    Map 01 - Works. I don't even need to check it, since this map already was ported in that Convector thread.
    Map 02 - Works.
    Map 03 - Works.
    Map 04 - Works.
    Map 05 - Works.
    Map 06 - Failed at 49016. Normally, it shows such huge numbers when the problem lies with want "difficult" sectors. It works if delete all "light" sectors in first room. Though, I plasma tested next room and after a while it Failed at 128. (or 152, I forgot) (What normally means "Too much things") Should have deleted a little more things.
    Map 07 - Works.
    Map 08 - Works.
    Map 09 - Works.
    Map 10 - Failed at 44760. After joining some sectors, it Failed at 152. I had to delete 2/3 of all things on map to make it work.
    Map 11 - Works. (Also, mappers forgot a Cell Charge outside of map, hehe.)
    Map 12 - Works.
    Map 13 - Failed at 57656. Delete all sectors from second from top, left house + delete something else and you will get Failed at 156. Some more things deleting and it works.
    Map 14 - Failed at 6344. After joining steps in stairs and getting rid of that full of 1x1 sectors place, it Failed at 79736. And no matter what I delete, I can't make it work.
    Map 15 - Failed at 115016. Hey, Nuxius, can you show me that level? I am amazed.
    Map 16 - Works.
    Map 17 - Failed at 87744. After deleting central part it Failed at 152. After deleting right part (Sectors and things) of map, it worked.
    Map 18 - Works.
    Map 19 - Failed at 85368. After dleting outside sectors and after going into rage-random sectors deleting it Failed at 152. After deleting things where sectors were already deleted, it worked. (But there was almost nothing left from map, hehehe)
    Map 20 - Failed at 152. Worked after joining all sectors in central room.
    Map 21 - Works.
    Map 22 - Works.
    Map 23 - Works.
    Map 24 - Failed at 6760. After deleting top-right sectors, it Failed at 152. After deleting "outside" sectors it worked. But after a while of shooting Plasma it Failed at 152. Should have deleted a little more things.
    Map 25 - Works.
    Map 26 - Works.
    Map 27 - Failed at 152. Worked after deleting some sector-trap and joining all sectors in some rooms.
    Map 28 - Works.
    Map 29 - Failed on 6632. After deleting central-"outside" sector it Failed at 152. After joining steps in stairs, it worked.
    Map 30 - Works. (No wonders it works.)
    Map 31 - Works.
    Map 32 - Works.

Can somebody, like SaxMan or Chilly Willy tell me how this memory actully works?
    Last edited by Foxysen; 01-09-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Wildside Expert

I don't know much about memory management in DOOM, but I know that depending on how many lines, sectors, etc. are in view at any given point will determine how much memory is required. You've probably heard about how limited the memory allocation is on the 32X port -- 96KB to be exact. MAP03 from DOOM II actually will run out of memory if you stand in the right spot of the large open area at the beginning of the map right after the elevator.

To make a map work without issues, my suggestion would be reducing the number of linedefs, and of course ensure that ceilings aren't greater than 512 in height (that's a limit grandfathered in from the original DOOM code that was changed when DOOM II was released).

At the end of the day, if a map is large and complex, it probably needs some tweaking before it's 32X-ready. This would include at least half of all maps in each DOOM II episode (Hell on Earth, TNT, Plutonia).

On both the Jaguar and 32X (which use the same code base), some things are left in rom, and others have to be loaded into ram. For example, the sound effects are left in rom, and decompressed on the fly when played; on the other hand, things have to have their struct in ram as info about the thing (location, direction, animation state, etc) has to be able to change. So things use ram - the more things, the more ram is used.

Thread Information