Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White GG - Nice New Addition

The white Game Gear priced at 34,800 yen, was manufactured in limited numbers (only 10,000 units were ever sold) and released with a matching TV tuner and a carrying-case.
    (click)

I don't know how true that is, but considering 34,800 yen is around $425 today, it seems you got a bargain ;P

Voice of NeverNeverLand Master of Shinobi Waterfaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smii View Post
    (click)

I don't know how true that is, but considering 34,800 yen is around $425 today, it seems you got a bargain ;P
    Would you mind linking the rest of this? It's an interesting read indeed.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Well... maybe I should eat my words then... if it was a limited edition (how many were actually made/sold? I'm curious), then $200 in 2010/11 doesn't sound like that bad of a deal afterall. Tell you what, it does super clean so props on finding one in such good condition!

From Sega Retro:
    Coloured Game Gears

Japan saw four coloured Game Gear models which did not see a release in the west - Blue, Red, Yellow and White. Only 10,000 white units were manufactured, and weren't available in stores. Instead, they were often given to developers or those directly associated with Sega. White units also came with a white TV Tuner and a white carrying case with enough space for the console, TV Tuner, AC adaptor and six AA batteries.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfaller View Post
    Would you mind linking the rest of this? It's an interesting read indeed.
    I would if I had it It was just the first thing I found about the white GG. I found out where it came from though, it's an extract from The Encyclopedia of Game Machines - looks a good book. (More here if you're interested) Out of stock everywhere I looked!

Death Adder's minion

Wow. Good for you too. I presume your working one is in its original state? To have a working one that was made over 2 decades ago is really rare. I have buckets of the regular ones that are waiting to be 're-capped' (sorry for the tripod-pun, loved the series).

Quote Originally Posted by Smii View Post
    Nice Game Gear I have one of these, but it came without the white TV tuner / docs. Still has its case though, and was only 40ish + shipping. It's also the only one of my GGs that works perfectly, like new (or did when I last used it anyway :/)

Nice snag. I've been trying to get my grubby mitts on one of these for years. I've had a couple chances, but they've never been entirely complete. I see yours has the original set of batteries in the upper right, but did it also come with the AC adapter - it and its cord appear missing from their slots on the left?
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Death Adder's minion

No, it does not come with batteries or the adapter. The batteries are supposed to be regular AA anyways. As for the adapter, it wasn't part of the original package. See the document below that comes with the set. The words in the brackets mean "not included" or something to that effect. Anyone reads Japanese? I wish they included the adapter too. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    Nice snag. I've been trying to get my grubby mitts on one of these for years. I've had a couple chances, but they've never been entirely complete. I see yours has the original set of batteries in the upper right, but did it also come with the AC adapter - it and its cord appear missing from their slots on the left?
    Last edited by mngb123; 01-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Well, in that case, every one I've passed up has been complete. Ain't that a bummer.

Thanks for that pic - very useful.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Death Adder's minion

I am sure they will come by again. Grab 'em when they do!

I remember one of my friends at school had a white Game Gear, he ended up swapping it for a packet of fags.

I think in the UK they were available for sale, without the TV tuner and the carry case. If I remember correctly, they were some of the first GG's to be put on sale over here.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

The real draw for my on the GG White is that awesome looking case. Like many I've got a pile of existing systems already, though my special one is a Yellow GG that's in minty shape with all the original box and packaging I picked up from a guy for $60.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information