Quantcast

Thread: How to get scuff marks off of plastic?

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Default How to get scuff marks off of plastic?

Hey all, I'm in the process of cleaning up a few consoles that I have lying around, and I noticed that most, if not all of them have some superficial scuff markings on them. The majority of these consoles are Sega Genesis Model 1 units, but there's also a Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and 3DO in there, as well. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to remove these scuff marks? I tried rubbing them out with a pencil eraser, but that didn't do anything. Isn't there some sort of polish that you can rub into the unit to get rid of the scuffs? Thanks!

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Hey all, I'm in the process of cleaning up a few consoles that I have lying around, and I noticed that most, if not all of them have some superficial scuff markings on them. The majority of these consoles are Sega Genesis Model 1 units, but there's also a Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and 3DO in there, as well. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to remove these scuff marks? I tried rubbing them out with a pencil eraser, but that didn't do anything. Isn't there some sort of polish that you can rub into the unit to get rid of the scuffs? Thanks!
    The are carved to the plastic,so afaik only thing is to get sand paper and paint you model again. And use a lot of painterstape to cover unwanted areas such of sega logos and such.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Sports Talker

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser type sponge. They work well and do not require great force - as such you should use them without too much pressure. I used one on my Sega Sports (black) Dreamcast and it got rid of the white scuff marks very easily.

I've seen those at the store, but I didn't know if they were safe for plastics or not. I'll have to give it a shot this weekend. I have the paint to repaint the console, but I'd rather avoid it, as it's a pain in the ass to tape off all of the wording and then stencil it back on later. Thanks!

Angry Liberal Arts Major ESWAT Veteran Iron Lizard's Avatar

Call me crazy but I sometimes use toothpicks when nothing else will work. They won't hurt the plastic but strong enough to remove the scuffs. Though most of these have been white systems like the Dreamcast and SNES.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Magic erasers work great on most plastic surfaces, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it on glossy surfaces, or anything with paint like logos.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Road Rasher

Yes, magic erasers are awesome. They are a little abrasive, though, but they will clean marks off that sometimes nothing else will. I've cleaned up some segas by using car wax. It actually polishes the plastic down if you have scuffs and it kind of moisturizes the plastic again. I have a Model 2 that was too disgusting to even touch when I got it. After an hour cleaning it inside and out it looks amazing. Hard to believe it's the same one.

But Magic Erasers are a must!

Ok, gonna go clean up this new Jaguar now :-)

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Automotive rubbing compound, Turtle Wax, or Brasso polish will all do the trick.
    It is finished!

Death Adder's minion

I usually start off soaking the shell in warm soap water for 10-15 mins and then brush it with a fine soft toothbrush. For tougher stains or marks, I move on to the magic sponge, which acts like very fine sandpaper.

Sports Talker

You can use stuff called NOVUS. I use it on my pinball machines. You can get Novus1, 2 and 3. 3 is for deep scratches and marks, 2 is for not so deep and then 1 is a polish.
    I also used Armourall polish. This get the consoles looking shiny.

Wildside Expert

+1 for Brasso, I've gotten deep scratches out of systems with it, just make sure to only use it on smooth surfaces. Many plastics are textured like snes carts, and using too much brasso polishing will make it smooth like a gen cart.

Huh - never thought of brasso. I used to use that stuff all the time when I played the drums. I'll see how that works out.

Thread Information