Quantcast

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Soundchip Tribute

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

The extra 64k of memory makes a monstrous different for the CPC, as modern homebrew shows (scrolling in particular is a lot more doable). I think every version of LED Storm was done by Tim Follin, so it will always sound great.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    The extra 64k of memory makes a monstrous difference for the CPC, as modern homebrew shows (scrolling in particular is a lot more doable).
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPC has some kind of coarse hardware scrolling that scrolls so fast that its ordinarily pretty much useless right? from what I gather the homebrewers slow it down by swapping between buffered screens with offset backgrounds. Shouldn't even be that CPU intensive?

With the 64k model being more popular no developer was ever going to make games that only run on the 128k machines though.

I think a 128k CPC could've been a reasonable upgrade option for Spectrum owners circa 1986 (I don't consider the 64k machines an upgrade due to the slowness and windowed gameplay, more like one step forwards one step back), as it stood it was better to just buy a C64 and keep the Spectrum for the odd 3D game if you were into them, or wait till 1987 for SMS, maybe if you were quick you could get an ST in 87 for the 299 price but that's still really expensive for that year (maybe the equivalent of ~800 in today's money).

I recently discovered the Apple II GS's sound chip (Ensoniq 5503 DOC). Is it sample based? I don't quite understand what wavetable synthesis means, but this sounds like the Amiga.

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Sml...sGEKFf&index=1
    Wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavetable_synthesis
    On a wave of mutilation

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Here's a rip of the Rusty ost on youtube if anyone is interested. The track in Kamahl's op got me wanting to listen to the whole thing. That boss theme #1 is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdJn...eWPVnSTocdVpW6
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Mastering your Systems Hero of Algol TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    I recently discovered the Apple II GS's sound chip (Ensoniq 5503 DOC). Is it sample based? I don't quite understand what wavetable synthesis means, but this sounds like the Amiga.

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Sml...sGEKFf&index=1
    Wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavetable_synthesis
    It is essentially PCE/TG-16 on steroids, allowing 8bit samples with sizes ranging from 256 bytes to 32KBytes (and maximum of 64KB of samples), while PCE is limited to 32x 5bit elements (SCC on MSX is nearly identical to TG16/PCE). There's some other features like channel syncing and pairing too.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPC has some kind of coarse hardware scrolling that scrolls so fast that its ordinarily pretty much useless right? from what I gather the homebrewers slow it down by swapping between buffered screens with offset backgrounds. Shouldn't even be that CPU intensive?
    You're entirely correct, but there is no CPU hit, instead you take a massive RAM hit.

The CPC is kinda like the MSX where it scrolls at a "tile" level, both horizontally and vertically, even though it has no tiles.
    Or at least that's how I understood it, horizontally it is definitely 8 high resolution pixels or 4 wide pixels.

By abusing the CRTC, you can go down to 1 pixel vertical scrolling and 2 wide pixel horizontal scrolling (4 high resolution pixels).
    Because most games would run at 25fps or less, you can get a pretty decent scrolling with just this, but only if a game has a very fast moving character (one that moves at a minimum of 2 high res pixels a frame). Since one of the movement frames will never be displayed, this is enough.

If the game cannot deal with movement that fast, then you need to use the offset trick.
    You keep 2 copies (normal and offset) of every sprite and tile in memory plus two the buffers (so 2x the normal ram usage!). The CPU wastes the same amount of time rendering the offset sprites as the normal ones, so no hit there.

If your game moves at a constant speed (like a shmup) you will always be on either buffer every frame, never the same one twice in a row. That means you save some RAM by not having to double buffer (essentially the offset buffer is "free"). Of course, if that's not the case... God help you, 4 freaking buffers... yikes.

@TmEE How is that different from say... the ricoh chip in the Sega CD?
    Last edited by Kamahl; 06-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

I've been playing a lot of Spectrum Castlevania recently and that has quite nice music.

Nothing astonishing or anything, I just like the way the percussion sounds.

Thread Information