Quantcast

Thread: Compatibility of SG-1000, Mark III, Master System

Master of Shinobi

Default Compatibility of SG-1000, Mark III, Master System

The Sega 8-bit systems have a number of variations.
    I have yet to read a detailed account of what the compatibility is for the different machines and between the different regions.

I just recently learned that the Japanese "My Card" games (with the exception of a few Mark III branded cards) will not function on a US or European Master System. All of the cards will apparently work on all versions of the Japanese systems (the SG-1000, SC-3000, and SG-1000 II require the "Card Catcher" adapter)

From what I have understood, Master System and Mark III cartridges are compatible with a pass-through adapter.
    Are SG-1000 carts compatible with the Master System?
    I seem to have issues with playing SG-1000 games on my Mark III. It seems as though the colors are not being displayed properly. In Hustle Chumy the bat that flies at the top of the board is not visible because it is on top of a black background.
    Did the SG-1000 just have really poor available colors or is there an issue when playing these games on the later systems?

I am also having an issue with a European copy of Super Space Invaders being played on my Mark III through a pass-through converter. The screen display is completely garbled. The sound is fine afaik, and it is possible to play the game but the graphics are all messed up.
    Super Space Invaders is the only "Domark" published game I own and also the only Master System cart I own with a white label. Might these Domark games (or just Super Space Invaders) have some unique compatibility issue?

And what about playing Brazilian Master System games on a Master System or Mark III. Are these compatible?

edit:
    and then there is the issue of the FM sound games.
    akaik only the Japanese Master System have built-in FM support. The Mark III requires the add-on FM Module. Is the FM module compatible with the SG-1000 or SC-3000 or SG-1000 II?
    Is the code for FM music still in US versions of FM games. Like, if the US version of Phantasy Star is played on a JPN Master System will there be FM functionality?

And then there is the issue of controller compatibility.
    I have read that the Sports Pad trackball will only function with a select few games, but recently a forum member mentioned using it to play Alex Kidd BMX instead of using the Paddle controller. Can anyone confirm exactly what games the Sports Pad can be used for?

And then I have also recently seen a compatibility list that states that the Paddle Controller can be used to play some racing games such as Out Run and Hang On. There are two steering controller available in Japan, one is a standard steering wheel while the other is a motorcycle handlebar, did these controllers work the same as the Paddle Controller?

...seems the Sega 8-bit machines may have more compatibility issues than most any other console series.n
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 07-29-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Master of Shinobi

I may have found an answer about Super Space Invaders...
    from a Master System Compatibility faq:
    [2.1] IS FOREIGN SMS SOFTWARE COMPATIBLE WITH U.S. SMS UNITS?

Yes, though there have been a few instances reported in which PAL carts
    have difficulties:

Game Problem
    ---- -------
    Prince Of Persia : Occasional slight graphical glitches
    Jungle Book : Ditto, and the scrolling is sometimes jerky
    Back to the Future III : Does not work at all. Game hangs.

Presumably BTTF III contains code to check for 50Hz, and locks up otherwise.
    This is borne out by the fact that I can start the game in 50Hz, then switch
    to 60Hz while playing. The graphics are rather flickery, but it works.
    When the game is over the machine hangs.

Strangely, Prince of Persia works fine on a 60Hz Mega Drive/Power Base
    Converter combination!
    So perhaps it is a PAL game issue. Can any one confirm this?

I still haven't found discussion about Brazilian compatibilities...

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    Are SG-1000 carts compatible with the Master System?
    They are compatible with the Japanese SMS, yes. The different BIOS and different cart slot on non-Japanese systems prevent SG-1000 carts from being played, and there's no converter to play Japanese games on an American/European system.

I seem to have issues with playing SG-1000 games on my Mark III. It seems as though the colors are not being displayed properly. In Hustle Chumy the bat that flies at the top of the board is not visible because it is on top of a black background.

Did the SG-1000 just have really poor available colors or is there an issue when playing these games on the later systems?
    That's due to the color palette that the Mark III/SMS uses for SG-1000 games. The SG-1000 doesn't use an RGB colorspace like the Mark III does, so the Mark III/SMS uses colors that are close to the originals. The only way to play SG-1000 games with correct colors is to play them on an SG-1000, SG-1000 II or SC-3000.

I am also having an issue with a European copy of Super Space Invaders being played on my Mark III through a pass-through converter. The screen display is completely garbled. The sound is fine afaik, and it is possible to play the game but the graphics are all messed up.
    Super Space Invaders is the only "Domark" published game I own and also the only Master System cart I own with a white label. Might these Domark games (or just Super Space Invaders) have some unique compatibility issue?
    A handful of PAL games have issues running on NTSC systems, and Super Space Invaders sounds like one of them.

And what about playing Brazilian Master System games on a Master System or Mark III. Are these compatible?
    Most of them should work, but 8 megabit games like Sonic Blast and Street Fighter II won't.

akaik only the Japanese Master System have built-in FM support. The Mark II and Mark III require the add-on FM Module. Is the FM module compatible with the SG-1000 or SC-3000?
    No SG-1000 games were ever made for the FM module, since the last SG-1000 game was released before the FM module. The "Mark II" you're referring to is actually called the SG-1000 II, and is simply a redesigned SG-1000 with a removable first controller. The FM module will plug into the SG-1000 and SG-1000 II, but the SC-3000 lacks the expansion port that's necessary for it.

Is the code for FM music still in US versions of FM games. Like, if the US version of Phantasy Star is played on a JPN Master System will there be FM functionality?
    In most of them, yes. In fact, some games that weren't released in Japan will have FM as well, like Galaxy Force, Rampage, Altered Beast, etc. The English version of Phantasy Star lacks the FM code since it was removed to make room for the English text. The same goes for the English version of Ys.

I have read that the Sports Pad trackball will only function with a select few games, but recently a forum member mentioned using it to play Alex Kidd BMX instead of using the Paddle controller. Can anyone confirm exaclty what games the Sports Pad can be used for?
    Other games that used the Paddle Controller are Woody Pop, Galactic Protector, Super Racing and Megumi Rescue, all of which are Japanese exclusives. Out Run is also compatible with the Paddle Controller even though it was released before the Paddle Controller.

And then I have also recently seen a compatibility list that states that the Paddle Cotroller can be used to play some racing games such as Out Run and Hang On. There are two steering controller available in Japan, one is a standard steering wheel while the other is a motorcycle handlebar, did these controllers work the same as the Paddle Controller?
    No. Both of those controllers were released close to the same time as the Mark III, and they're both just digital controllers with a different form.

Master of Shinobi

Thumbs up

Wow, thanks for addressing all of those points ApolloBoy.

Two more issues that just came to mind:
    How about compatibility of the Phaser gun and 3D Glasses between PAL and NTSC regions?

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    How about compatibility of the Phaser gun and 3D Glasses between PAL and NTSC regions?
    The 3D glasses work fine on a Japanese system, my glasses didn't come with the card adapter, which worked out since I have a Japanese SMS that has the 3D glasses jack. The Light Phaser doesn't work on Japanese systems, so I've been told.

The NeoFlash SMS Myth flash cart has the FM chip built in. You run the AV cable from the SMS to the Myth, then run an RCA cable from the Myth to the TV. That allows the FM to be mixed with the regular audio. You can see a picture of that here:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index....ic,5637.0.html

It close to going on sale. Those of us in the NeoFlash community who help out on things like the menus got pre-release carts to work on the menu for it.

It also let's you run SG-1000 games on the SMS, but you have the color issue just the same as the Mark III.

I've tried quite a few SG-1000 roms on my US SMS with the Master Everdrive, and honestly, the colors are rarely a problem at all. I went in thinking the games were unplayable, but as far as I can tell it's just not the correct shade of the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I've tried quite a few SG-1000 roms on my US SMS with the Master Everdrive, and honestly, the colors are rarely a problem at all. I went in thinking the games were unplayable, but as far as I can tell it's just not the correct shade of the colors.
    Most of the time you won't even think about the colors at all. They're not objectionable in nearly all cases. You'd have to regularly play the games on an emulator to even realize they're not normally that color.

Master of Shinobi

Hustle Chumy is one game where the color is a slight problem. One of the enemies is colored the same as the background.

I'm playing on a Mark III, btw.

Thread Information