Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pier Solar

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRD_dOF4sk

TBH, this is the only way I know of without beating the game.
    Haha right, YouTube. Well I do have my old save file of beating the game. So I thought maybe the full-credits might have been unlocked or something. I haven't played in like 8 years...

I just checked the cart I played through when I got the game in early 2011, which still has the save files intact. The "about" option in the main menu only shows the credits of the developers and the "goodies" option, which has the unlockables such as the soundtest and minigames, doesn't have it. So you'll have to beat it again or watch it on YouTube. Sorry about that!

By the way, how do you like the game?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I just checked the cart I played through when I got the game in early 2011, which still has the save files intact. The "about" option in the main menu only shows the credits of the developers and the "goodies" option, which has the unlockables such as the soundtest and minigames, doesn't have it. So you'll have to beat it again or watch it on YouTube. Sorry about that!

By the way, how do you like the game?
    Since you asked, I love the game. There is so much I could say about Pier Solar lol.

For one thing, I got interested early enough to pre-order and get my name & message in the full credits and the magazine. Love the mag and the deluxe Genesis +SCD box. I flipped out when I opened the bottom to find the stickers and poster etc.

The full credits has a message to my girlfriend of the time... but she broke up with me before the game released lol.

However I was never bothered by the wait for the game's release. I was not as early as many others, so they were waiting longer than I was.

I got Pier Solar after her break-up (late 2010) but that time period was still full of hopefulness, optimism, faith in my circle of friends. Which the game goes well with.

I'm also the perfect target audience for Pier Solar because I've played very few real RPG's, and I can see that much of its significance is bringing artwork and style that was more common on SNES.

Plus all the references to other games, not just RPG's, but Sonic's cash-register sound effect, and title screen seems to start with those sparkles from Sonic 2's title screen.

Great to see the SNES-style zoom effect (like on the title screen), and the mode-7 dragon flying mini-game is lovely.

Plus the multiple languages is great for learning a second language. Right now, I decided to play the whole thing in Spanish, so I can learn Spanish, once and for all, lol.

Drawbacks: I didn't mind burning a CD to make it work better...

I had that one character profile glitched for most of the game without realizing why, so it was not a problem.

Actually I thought the story was going to do more with the Pier Solar itself, but that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Since you asked, I love the game. There is so much I could say about Pier Solar lol.
    Thank you so much! The last few years, especially in the Paprium thread, I've read a lot of strong dislike and even hate about Pier Solar, so much I thought about quitting what I'm doing. So hearing your thoughts is really heart-warming.

For one thing, I got interested early enough to pre-order and get my name & message in the full credits and the magazine. Love the mag and the deluxe Genesis +SCD box. I flipped out when I opened the bottom to find the stickers and poster etc.
    Ah yes. I was really sceptical about cardboard boxes until then, but this particular one made me change my mind. The magazine was a real kick to do, and I've always wanted to do something similar with the next physical release I'm working on.

The full credits has a message to my girlfriend of the time... but she broke up with me before the game released lol.
    Such is life! I had my first girlfriend during the release and that was the time of my life until that point. She broke up shortly after .

However I was never bothered by the wait for the game's release. I was not as early as many others, so they were waiting longer than I was.
    WaterMelon was different then. Pier Solar was delayed two years, and we always had a comparatively open and transparent communication and regular updates. Paprium has been years longer and the communication has been completely unlike Pier Solar times.

I got Pier Solar after her break-up (late 2010) but that time period was still full of hopefulness, optimism, faith in my circle of friends. Which the game goes well with.
    Same here. That feel slowly died with my faith for WM until about 2016 when I decided to do something else. And now it's back in other forms .

I'm also the perfect target audience for Pier Solar because I've played very few real RPG's, and I can see that much of its significance is bringing artwork and style that was more common on SNES.

Plus all the references to other games, not just RPG's, but Sonic's cash-register sound effect, and title screen seems to start with those sparkles from Sonic 2's title screen.
    Hehe, I thought we went a bit overboard with those references. I certainly wouldn't have made so many myself if I made the game today. But I guess that was what the game was about, bringing homages to the games we loved.

Plus the multiple languages is great for learning a second language. Right now, I decided to play the whole thing in Spanish, so I can learn Spanish, once and for all, lol.
    I remember a guy ordering the Japanese edition for that purpose, and he was quite disappointed when that language was removed. Hopefully, he was able to do it with the HD edition a few years later.

Drawbacks: I didn't mind burning a CD to make it work better...
    Yeah, at least there was a relatively easy fix we could do, including myself .

I had that one character profile glitched for most of the game without realizing why, so it was not a problem.
    Weird, never heard of that one before. How was it?

Actually I thought the story was going to do more with the Pier Solar itself, but that's fine too.
    Good point! I agree!

Thank you so much! The last few years, especially in the Paprium thread, I've read a lot of strong dislike and even hate about Pier Solar, so much I thought about quitting what I'm doing. So hearing your thoughts is really heart-warming.
    ^Wow, I didn't know that people had been expressing dislike and hate(!) about Pier Solar...!

Well I, for one, am the biggest fan of Pier Solar, lol.

I must have gotten interested in Pier Solar in 2009. So it was after its first year of development and hype, but everything was brand-new to me. But already some people were complaining that it was late.

So personally, I only had waited one year for Pier Solar, because I didn't know about it earlier. And so I rather enjoyed my one year of hype, excitement, and waiting for Pier Solar. There was online content during the wait: video clips and music files, etc.

Then Pier Solar released and completely delivered on everything. Graphics, music, gameplay, nostalgic references to other games, etc.

I'd say that the only way to strongly dislike Pier Solar... must be to misunderstand it. Like, the negative critics must not understand what it's supposed to be, lol. The nostalgic references and inspirations from several classic games, the exclusive aspects like its cart plus SCD usage, best Mode-7 style graphics on Genesis, etc.

Heck there's even a Bomberman clone. I don't see how people can dislike Pier Solar unless they're just misunderstanding everything lol.

Let's not dig deeper into it, but yes, there was a lot of hate towards it. Some people really took some parts of the game too seriously. I wrote a few jokes about the SNES, which I thought were rather innocent and a nod to the console wars back in the day, not too far away from the kids throwing SNES/Genesis units in Bart's Nightmare. Shouldn't have done that :P. Two characters' best weapons and armours were homages to two of the best SNES RPGs, I got no complaints about that though!

While we succeeded with the game technically and aesthetically, we also made many design mistakes you'd expect a beginner to do. I'd say it was a miracle we even managed to release it. It was our first game, we were spread all around the world and the knowledge and technology of making a homebrew game like it, almost a decade ago, wasn't as great as it is today. Still, I'd say we haven't seen anything comparable to it on the Mega Drive since then. But maybe that's just good. Paprium has failed for a reason and having a smaller scope is better in the long run, and doesn't necessarily make the games worse.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Thread Information