Quantcast

Page 306 of 401 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 6010

Thread: Game Sack

  1. #4576
    End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    6,697
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Anyone (like you, Barone, etc.) who mocks or insults someone or someones in their sig has less than zero legs to stand on when it comes to criticizing others for something like this, you know.
    I did it, because some of the stuff you spew out as fact is anything but fact.

    I didn't quit playing video games when the console market crashed. I continued to play video games on home computers like my dad's TRS-80 CoCo and my C64. And yes, I used a joystick to play all of those games.

    I didn't put your quote in my sig just to mock you. I put it in there as a constant reminder to you, that sometimes you go too far with trying to be right and look ignorant by doing so.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-05-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  2. #4577
    Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I think ABF gets in trouble for saying stuff that may or may not be true, but just not choosing his words carefully. And a normal person can figure out what he's trying to say, but some people insist on being really obtuse and pedantic and purposely misrepresenting what he's saying, even when it's pretty obvious. To then put a link/quote to something like that in a signature just makes that person seem really pedantic and immature. Pretty much run for the mill for a gaming forum, though.

    Also, people talking mountains of shit about the technical aspects free, popular content when they've never even attempted to create anything (only consumed) is hilarious and sad.

  3. #4578

  4. #4579
    Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Poor ABF, just gets misinterpreted by those bully types.

    rofl
    LOL, OK, whatever you say...
    Last edited by Tower of Power; 05-06-2016 at 01:33 AM.

  5. #4580
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,999
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    I think ABF gets in trouble for saying stuff that may or may not be true, but just not choosing his words carefully. And a normal person can figure out what he's trying to say, but some people insist on being really obtuse and pedantic and purposely misrepresenting what he's saying, even when it's pretty obvious. To then put a link/quote to something like that in a signature just makes that person seem really pedantic and immature. Pretty much run for the mill for a gaming forum, though.

    Also, people talking mountains of shit about the technical aspects free, popular content when they've never even attempted to create anything (only consumed) is hilarious and sad.
    I don't think that creating things gives you a license to "shit talk".
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  6. #4581
    Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,238
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori View Post
    Regardless, it's contributing to an increasingly toxic environment. I've voiced my concerns in the past over the amount of hostility pervading this community. I can definitely see why Joe didn't like coming here any more.
    Right. I'm far from the only target of nasty sigs here, and they absolutely add to the toxic nature of too many discussions here.

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The whole thing with Gamevet's sig is small potatoes compared to some of the things I've had to step in on
    No, one post or one part of one thread here or there is not as bad as something attached to every single post you make. The latter is worse than the former just based on volume of insults.

    and I'm sure most of the people who's he gotten into arguments with would just vanish.
    That'd never happen. They'd just move on to insulting their next target instead of me.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I did it, because some of the stuff you spew out as fact is anything but fact.
    Everyone says many things which are opinion, and many which are fact. It's not hard to separate the two. In this case, that console, computer, and handheld games are each a significantly different kind of thing, that's a fact. That "video games" for a very long time meant console and not computer games is also a fact. What you want to call gaming now, that's opinion; that definition seems to have changed sometime in the past 10-15 years, but I prefer the old definitions myself.

    I continued to play video games on home computers like my dad's TRS-80 CoCo and my C64. And yes, I used a joystick to play all of those games.
    This has nothing to do with anything. I've played a great many console-style games on PC as well, of course, and I'm writing up a list of one such genre right now, in fact (PC platformers). This does nothing to change the inherent, and significant, differences between computer and console games. And sure, back in the early to mid '80s, in pre-NES days, the difference between consoles and computers was more blurred, since computers often ran on TVs instead of computer monitors and many consoles got computer addons or had computer elements (like the O2's keyboard on the system). That's clearly your point here, and I wasn't around back then reading magazines or anything, so I don't know offhand what kind of terminology was used -- though that consoles and computers were considered separate is clear, since many people, such as you, moved "up" from consoles to a computer.

    But in the post-crash world that I grew up in things were different, and video (console) and computer games were separate categories. Each were better at different kinds of games, displayed on different kinds of screens, etc. It would be very interesting to see an analysis of gaming magazines in the post-crash era, to see how often computer games were referred to as "video games" between the mid '80s and mid '00s. My guess is that it would be rare. I've got a 2000 issue of PC Gamer here, and paging through it I don't see the term "video game" mentioned even one single time. It's "PC game" or "computer game" only. But since consoles won over the AAA development market in the early to mid '00s, all kinds of games are now "video games". It was a part of the sad decline of PC gaming, probably. So why should I go along with that, when all the term does is remind me of how far PC gaming fell from its best days? Things are a lot better now than they were in 2010 when I wrote that article I link, thanks to Steam, kickstarter, etc, but it's not the '90s again either.

    (Of course, I love console, computer, and handheld games. They're all awesome, or can be. But each is best at different things.)

    I didn't put your quote in my sig just to mock you.
    Yes, you did. That's what things like that are for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    I think ABF gets in trouble for saying stuff that may or may not be true, but just not choosing his words carefully. And a normal person can figure out what he's trying to say, but some people insist on being really obtuse and pedantic and purposely misrepresenting what he's saying, even when it's pretty obvious.
    Thanks, this is very true. I try to make myself clear, but it's hard in text, unfortunately, and people constantly misrepresent my words, that's for sure. Speech is, of course, much easier to understand, versus only text -- you get inflections, facial expressions, etc., beyond just words -- and also open conversation, instead of only post-response-post. And on top of that a lot of people have an agenda against me because I like Nintnedo and, worse, the N64, this forums' least favorite console (you'd think it'd be the SNES or something, but no...).

    To then put a link/quote to something like that in a signature just makes that person seem really pedantic and immature. Pretty much run for the mill for a gaming forum, though.
    Immaturity? Sure. But insulting sigs? That's something I have long thought is much more common here than on other gaming forums I post on.

    Also, people talking mountains of shit about the technical aspects free, popular content when they've never even attempted to create anything (only consumed) is hilarious and sad.
    While it probably is true that Joe needed to be better at just ignoring criticism sometimes, some people are going to take things seriously, and that isn't a bad thing; it's just how people are. But yeah, people looked the gift horse in the mouth too much, that is true.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 05-06-2016 at 03:53 AM.

  7. #4582
    Swing swords like shinobi Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    1,992
    Rep Power
    42

    WTF

    i don't know that i'd quantify things for a mod, they see way more stuff. and is it really "out of context" if he still stands by it?

    ABF, i know i give you shit sometime here & there, and it's worth nothing that i can appreciate/enjoy outlier opinions, you know? they keep things fresh & interesting sometimes. and clearly, people stay engaging you all the time, so there's that!

    but everyone's got their limits...when you say stuff like

    • N64 library > PSX
    • Cruis'n USA was as big/relevant to arcades as OutRun
    • SCIV > Rondo > Drac X (SNES) > Bloodlines (i wanna say that was your ranking?)


    i'm here like



  8. #4583
    Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,238
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i don't know that i'd quantify things for a mod, they see way more stuff. and is it really "out of context" if he still stands by it?
    You mean things that get deleted, they're so bad? I guess there is that, but comparing the kind of stuff that people get away with all the time on this forum (the insults, attacks, etc.) to those sigs, the sigs are overall worse because it's always there, not a one-time thing.

    ABF, i know i give you shit sometime here & there, and it's worth nothing that i can appreciate/enjoy outlier opinions, you know? they keep things fresh & interesting sometimes. and clearly, people stay engaging you all the time, so there's that!
    It would be nice if more people here would be able to say this...

    but everyone's got their limits...when you say stuff like

    • N64 library > PSX
    • Cruis'n USA was as big/relevant to arcades as OutRun
    • SCIV > Rondo > Drac X (SNES) > Bloodlines (i wanna say that was your ranking?)


    i'm here like

    [img]http://i.imgur.com/N7iLuCm.png
    - Yes, N64 library > PSX. Easily. And you know plenty of people (not here) agree with me on this one.
    - No, US only for Cruis'n, not worldwide. Worldwide of course Daytona was bigger and more relevant, while here both were.
    - No, SCIV > Rondo >>> Bloodlines... but I don't own SNES Drac X and have barely played it in an emulator, but I suspect it would probably go fourth, nothing I've heard about it sounds promising. I still have big problems with Bloodlines, but it's not quite as bad now that I know that the atrocious save system (limited lives saved to passwords, etc.) is a US/EU-exclusive thing and the original Japanese version is actually fair and competently designed. It's still well behind those top two's greatness and is disappointing in that respect, but it is good.

  9. #4584
    Super Flail Master.~ BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    - Yes, N64 library > PSX. Easily. And you know plenty of people (not here) agree with me on this one.
    Barring the rest of this, How many good RPGs existed on the N64 vs the Playstation?
    05/05/15

  10. #4585
    WCPO Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    There were good RPGs on Playstation ???

  11. #4586
    Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Barring the rest of this, How many good RPGs existed on the N64 vs the Playstation?
    Are you seriously a moderator on a forum of a site based on the Sega Genesis, arguing the merits of a consoles library based on it's RPG selection? If I agree the PS1 has a greater library, it sure as fuck isn't because Final Fantasy VII and Suikoden II exist. (Hell, if I ever survive an incident that puts a hole in my brain and wake up an SNES fanboy, it still wouldn't be because Earthbound and Final Fantasy III(or VI, or whatever they call it nowadays) existed)

    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    - No, SCIV > Rondo >>> Bloodlines
    I don't agree with that in the slightest, but he the right to his opinion without being told he's flat out wrong.




    P.S. So, is this what's going to happen in here every time the episodes aren't about video games?
    Last edited by midnightrider; 05-06-2016 at 11:21 AM.

  12. #4587
    End of line.. ESWAT Veteran gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    6,697
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    The PlayStation has 2 of the (considered) best SNES RPGs, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  13. #4588
    Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,948
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I don't agree with that in the slightest, but he the right to his opinion without being told he's flat out wrong.
    Yeah, pretty much. And I don't ever recall ABF flat out insulting other forum members with coarse language either.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The PlayStation has 2 of the (considered) best SNES RPGs, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III.
    But they aren't better then Shining Force 2. Because gameplay is light years ahead of anything SNES Squaresoft from what I've played.

  14. #4589
    WCPO Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    One of these days, I'll have to play Chrono Trigger...

  15. #4590
    Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,948
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    One of these days, I'll have to play Chrono Trigger...
    It was my first RPG. EGM made me rent it back in the day.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •