Quantcast

Page 1 of 411 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Sack

Default Game Sack

Alright, since my posts in the Random Video Thread are now gone, I figure this would be a good time to start a dedicated thread for my new Youtube channel. The show is called game Sack and myself and co-host Dave talk about anything gaming, though mostly retro-oriented.

Here are links to the first 4 episodes:

Game Sack - Episode 1 - SNES Superscope vs Sega Menacer

Game Sack - Episode 2 - 16-bit Street Fighter II: Genesis vs SNES vs PC Engine + 3DS babble

Game Sack - Episode 3 - 8-bit 3D Gaming: NES vs SMS 3D games

And the latest episode as of this writing (Two randomly chosen games must compete):

Enjoy. Discuss. Flame. Suggest.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Just watched episode three on 3D NES and SMS games. Very funny, I can't believe you dorks don't know what an Xbox 360 is. Anyway, I also can't believe you both don't handle the Sega Scope glasses like they cost $100 each. I'm looking straight at my 3D glasses sitting on the table next to me when I say that. They came without ear pieces, and five years later I am at my third attempt to find a reasonable solution to the ear pieces breaking.

The Sega 3D Glasses only cost $35-$39 when they were released. No idea what they are worth now. Never had an issue with them breaking.

I have never tried a whole pair of these on as an adult. I was under the impression that they wouldn't fit an adult's head. You both just proved that impression wrong. I broke my (ahem) engineered solution by letting them sit at the bottom of one of my controller drawers. I'm not to happy about that, as I don't think I could find a more suitable frame to gorilla glue in their place.

Just duct tape them to your head! I've seen adults wear them OVER their glasses as well.

Hah, my first solution was a strap that could be tightened, I couldn't keep it mounted to the glasses though.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Good videos, Joe. I've enjoyed all of them. Keep them coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Alright, this week we take a look at some video pinball games: Alien Crush, Devil's Crush (Dragon's Fury on the MD/Genesis) and Jaki Crush (Super Famicom).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Alright, this week we take a look at some video pinball games: Alien Crush, Devil's Crush (Dragon's Fury on the MD/Genesis) and Jaki Crush (Super Famicom).
    Nicely done. I miss Devil's Crush (my favorite video pinball game of all time). Glad you did a comparison with Dragon's Fury. I don't have this for the Genesis yet, but I'll track it down some day. Since I can't afford a Turbografx (and it's generally expensive games), this is the closest I can get to this great game...

Yeah, if you can't get Devil's Crush, Dragon's Fury is a must. But I like having both.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I think Japanese video games are more American than American video games.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 05-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Great video, Joe. Subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I think Japanese video games are more American than American video games.
    What?!?

6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Well, I wasn't too serious on this one ^ ^ but think about it: Video games as an artform itself is American. And a flipper game with heavy metal visuals and soundtrack is pretty much as American as it gets. So while I was watching Joe and Dave banging their heads on the table on how truly awful the one and only US developed game of the series is, I thought about an interview with one of Sega of Japan's new execs on how Sega's developers just made these games for the international market back during the Master System and Mega Drive days, even when that international market didn't exist yet, and never once thought about what would be "too Japanese" or "not International enough". - If it indeed was a natural process to include Spiderman, Batman, Hulk and Terminator in Revenge of Shinobi; and punks, rockabillys, skinheads and a European & American soundtrack in Streets of Rage; that means that this generation of video game designers from Japan not only made the better games, they also made more American games. Which is probably part of why they were better.

But even if you think about what we consider the most Japanese type of games, those with a heavy Manga and Anime influence, you could still track this back to the beginning of the Japanese pop culture during the post WW2 era. There were no comics in fascist Japan.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 05-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Jizzed in my pants... NOT Raging in the Streets M4R14NO94's Avatar

I watched the new one yesterday.

Glad to see that you guys hate Dragon's Revenge as much as I do. I can stomach graphics from some American-made Genesis games (as in games not by Sega or EA), but not those from this one. They are simply ugly as all hell. Hell, the fucking Tengen logo AT THE BEGINNING looks like crap! Ironically enough, Dragon's Revenge had a Japanese release.

I've yet to play Alien Crush and Jaki Crush.
    Links and stuffz:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LanceBoyle94
    www.youtube.com/user/M4R14NO94
    http://lanceboyles.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Weird Al" Yankovic (on the AL-TV "interview" with Kevin Federline)
    Really? You mean like if someone got right up on your face and said that you're an IGNORANT, NO-TALENT WHITE TRASH, FORTUNE SQUANDERING VANILLA ICE WANNABE LOSER, you'd be okay with that?

Thread Information