Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge Dredd

Thumbs down Judge Dredd

After weathering a brutal online attack, Sega-16 is back and ready to roll! Hackers can't stop us from bringing the best Genesis articles to our readers each and every week, and today we resume our normal weekly publishing schedule. Unfortunately, the game for today is one most people avoid like the law on a weekend. Acclaim's Judge Dredd tried hard to emulate the movie it's licensed from, and it did it perfectly; both suck. Read the full review for all the sorry details.

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

I disagree with the review radically. I think Judge Dredd is one of the Genesis' hidden gems, and successfully stays faithful to both the movie and 2000AD comics. It's a challenging game, well animated and is the best use of the Acclaim engine that was also used in Demolition Man and Stargate, two other games that a lot of people claim as guilty pleasures. The jumping isn't as good as the SNES version, but overall the Genesis version is the best of the game.

The game would have been better received, except it was released in the Summer of 94. It was competing with hype for the Saturn, Demolition Man, which was released in cart format about a month earlier, and Demolition Man CD released just before Christmas that year, blocking the game from better sales on both ends. To make it even worse, the game was released a few weeks AFTER the movie, which had already tanked and been pulled from theatres. There was just a ton going against it.

Plus, of course, it is one of the rarest Japanese Mega Drive games because it was one of the last games released there for the MD. So even overseas it just couldn't catch a break.

Overall, it's a fun little game. Sure, it doesn't say Treasure on the box, but you can find a lot of fun in it, especially if you like the comics. Definitely worth more of a look than 3/10. No part of the game, graphics, sound, challenge or gameplay are that bad.
    S A V E R U S T Y

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I recently came down with a bad case of Stallone Fever, and I watched a number of his movies and played a few video games. Judge Dread was such a disappointing movie that I haven't bothered to play the game yet. However, the premise was fairly interesting so I think it could make a decent game. I will say that Demolition Man was awesome, both the movie and the Gen game.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Yeah I seriously disagree with the review. While this isn't a great game, it certainly is an above average one, and by Acclaim standards it is fantastic. Wolverine Adamantium Rage and Spider-Man TAS suffered from really bad movement engines that shouldn't have made it past the quality testers. Judge Dredd on the other hand uses an excellent movement engine that was also used in Demolition Man and Star Gate, both of which are also very good games. The graphics in Judge Dredd are pretty cool and atmospheric, it has nice animations, good sound and the password save feature is really useful. The only downside is the level design could be a little better, but it's not like it's terrible. This game also makes good use of the 6-button controller. It is definitely not deserving of a 3.

Also that movie wasn't so bad. It's pure cheese with nice special effects and lots of action, but come on, who the hell was expecting a serious story from that. You gotta love it even more now because you don't get badass action stars like Stallone any more.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Yeah djshok is right, what ever happened to all of the one man army muscle bound movie stars? Other than Jason Statham they seem to be a dying breed and even he's not really the one man army type either.

As for this game I tried it once and really couldn't figure it out and it didn't hold my interest and I haven't played it since.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Mini 1000 Nameless One puddingdragon's Avatar

you know i have been hoping for a review on this game for a little while now. looks like the reviewer was a bit harsh though.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

From what I've seen of the game I'd side with the reviewer. Will give it another chance though.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    As for this game I tried it once and really couldn't figure it out and it didn't hold my interest and I haven't played it since.

Thats pretty much the same that happened to me, I found myself getting stuck right away and totally not motivated to figure it out.

Yes i'm sure someone else found it very captivating, but to me it felt like a crappy game.

Then again i like Jurassic Park, so maybe its one of those games that you
    had to experience back in the day when you didn't have anything else.

I've been on a bit of a Dredd fix lately so I thought I give this game a proper go, whilst I think the reviewer is a little harsh here I do think this is a pretty flawed, and mediocre game, it just generally feels quite clunky and unpolished, I often find myself crouching when I want to go down ladders, or getting stuck, and its difficult to find workable tactics against the grunts and bosses, often it seems impossible to do anything but fire away at them whilst taking damage.

So based on what I've played of it I'd say its kinda' entertaining, but wholly unremarkable and often frustrating, personally I think Demolition Man is probably the better game.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    After weathering a brutal online attack, Sega-16 is back and ready to roll! Hackers can't stop us from bringing the best Genesis articles to our readers each and every week, and today we resume our normal weekly publishing schedule. Unfortunately, the game for today is one most people avoid like the law on a weekend. Acclaim's Judge Dredd tried hard to emulate the movie it's licensed from, and it did it perfectly; both suck. Read the full review for all the sorry details.

I disagree with this in regards to the movie. While it was a lousy adaptation however, as an action movie in its own right? It was pretty decent and entertaining summer popcorn flick.

As an added plus i think its awesome that Stallone was 49 at the time, and still in such a leading-man action role. Shows how much of a total badass Stallone is!

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Anyone see the new movie yet? I thought it was a lot of fun. It was a very 80's style violent action flick with cheesy one-liner overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Anyone see the new movie yet? I thought it was a lot of fun. It was a very 80's style violent action flick with cheesy one-liner overload.
    I've seen it, I liked it, but I felt they could've transferred more over from the source material

the makers said that If it had been successful then the sequels would've had bigger budgets, and more epic plotlines that went into more detail and brought in more of the major characters from the comic, but apparently early signs are indicating that its going to bomb (Variety says its going to end its 1st weekend in the US in the mid single digits).

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

The theater was pretty empty where I was so I don't doubt it's not going to do well. That's unfortunate because they really could've made a great sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    That's unfortunate because they really could've made a great sequel.
    Yeah, I felt the film worked well as an introduction to the character, but I left the cinema wanting to see more, there's a lot of great stuff about the comics which really wasn't represented at all, and it would be great to expand on all that stuff in a sequel.

I think its a real shame that Marvel, DC, Dark Horse etc get soooo many films, sequels, and reboots but 2000AD can't even manage to get one sequel to a film about their most popular character! oh well, maybe the film will at least improve the standing of Judge Dredd worldwide, the general reception is positive, and its better to end on a positive than leave the characters biggest worldwide legacy being the Stallone movie I guess.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

One of the big complaints I heard about the movie is that Dredd never removes his helmet so it makes it harder for moviegoers to connect with him in the film. Granted, Dredd wearing the helmet is a huge part of the comic so it's nice they they're staying faithful to the material, but sometimes that can be hard to translate to a film.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information