Quantcast

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I love the Saturn. You may have lost my vote Mr.Smith. My only real complaint is the cost of the software keeps going up. $15 for Clockwork Knight is crazy.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Well the saturn is filled with great shooters... So is the PCE, what puts it above such masterpieces as the MD, SNES, NES, Atari 2600?
    I'd say any of those is the best thing to happen to planet earth.
    No, not even any of those.

This was the greatest thing to happen to planet earth:

This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    Honestly, is this a practical joke?
    Solar Eclipse actually isn't that bad of a game.

Gameplay starts at around 5:40.

Really it doesn't look any worse than a lot of the crap on the PS1 during that time frame.

Revolution X and Street Fighter the Movie have Playstation ports as well, so you can use them for direct comparisons.

Also pay attention, it's copied from a generated report from a database. The top displays the column names and then they are listed but are not blocked properly. If it has "Yes" next to it then it's deemed notable. If it doesn't have "Yes" next to it then it isn't deemed notable. When we read it properly we see that none of those 4 games are deemed Notable.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Honestly, is this a practical joke?
    Apparently, Revolution X, Street Fighter the Movie, Corpse Killer and Solar Eclipse have not been recommended for the notable game lists. Those lists are the entire release lists for that year, if it doesn't say "Yes" as the last thing in the row it hasn't been recommended.

As this is obviously (another?) attack on the notable/noted game list idea I will use it as a point. I can think of reasons to add these to both to the lists, but nobody has mentioned their gameplay as unique or especially well done, so they are not on there. Solar Eclipse, for example, should be added by merit of it being a competent rail shooter in 1995.

On lists not formatting properly, I would love to know how to keep the cells aligned if that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Apparently, Revolution X, Street Fighter the Movie, Corpse Killer and Solar Eclipse have not been recommended for the notable game lists. Those lists are the entire release lists for that year, if it doesn't say "Yes" as the last thing in the row it hasn't been recommended.
    Ah ok, so you just listed a whole load of crap Saturn games, fair enough, the set-up was fairly confusing but I guess that's because it was taken from a database.

Its interesting to see that Sega's library was still fairly emphasising interactive movie/FMV games during 1995, there definitely seems to be less of that in your PS1 list, were Sony refusing releases for that sort of game?

There's also lots of shovelware Astal, Clockwork Knight etc, games which were extremely short, with little to no content, and seemed to be pushed out as fast as possible to make up the numbers.

These lists were taken by combining gamefaqs and digital presses databases into a spread sheet. They should be the final release list for that year, though I have found errors, especially with games dated January 1st of each year being released in December of the previous by some accounts.

We've danced the dance of negating games before I think. A good chunk of the PS1 list was already on the 16-bit consoles and 32X. Even more of its best titles were on PC in better form.

You said the Saturn had a dearth of software that legitimized Next Generation's paraphrased and uncited developer complaints. The actual release list shows otherwise, regardless of your genre preferences or assumptions about mass marketability on a new platform.

Didn't you give me a list of PS1 games last year to review for the notable games list? I still have that list and am slowly working my way through reviews on each. Most don't talk about gameplay at all, and almost all of the games listed are from 1998 onward.

I would be happier with a metacritic set-up where every game listed had a score based on the average of reviews of at least 6 major publications were counted, but I'm sure you would just say the magazines were all biased against Sega with that set-up.

Actually, I say that scores are a foolish way to judge a game. People should focus on what they enjoy the most about games and find games with those characteristics. For me that is what I am doing while I am actually interacting with the game using a controller of some sort. For others that is the cutscenes and voice acting, and camera angles while playing the game. Still others like to hear about how one of the side character's grand mother used to take her down by the river and feed her peanuts. If you like some things more than others, then find games with those things, the score is not going to reflect whether or not the game has them.

Oh, and the media is corrupt and caters to their advertisers and owners, that is just true.
    Last edited by sheath; 04-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Actually, I say that scores are a foolish way to judge a game. People should focus on what they enjoy the most about games and find games with those characteristics. For me that is what I am doing while I am actually interacting with the game using a controller of some sort. For others that is the cutscenes and voice acting, and camera angles while playing the game. Still others like to hear about how one of the side character's grand mother used to take her down by the river and feed her peanuts. If you like some things more than others, then find games with those things, the score is not going to reflect whether or not the game has them.

Oh, and the media is corrupt and caters to their advertisers and owners, that is just true
    That makes me wonder how much money was these companies paying for advertisement and how often they were.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

I really LOVE my Saturn, its a really tough choice between that and the Megadrive for my favourite console.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

If anything all you're doing is proving what I said, Alex Kidd in Miracle World was an extremely popular game in large parts of Europe, and yet Sega didn't give two shits about it, they made one total crap game which seemed to have nothing in common with the original (Lost Stars), then they threw him into an unrelated game simply changing the main sprite (High Tech World), and they threw him into the unrelated Shinobi Kid game (another sprite change), Enchanted Castle was the closest the game came to an actual sequel, and there's no way that game had a high profile development budget, he then dissapeared for what? 10 years?!!
    And Enchanted Castle sold pretty poor hence why we don't get sequels , NCL do the same to any game that doesn't sell in the millions and NCL have them self's been just as guity of messing around with IP for their 'home' consoles - Like they've done for Star Fox (when fans just want a straight out sequel) the complete lack of a Pilotwings sequel since Pilotwings N64, the lack of a F-Zero Update this gen , no sequel to Yoshi Island/Story.

If you're going to compete with Nintendo you have to use the same tactics, they made themselves into the "Disney" of videogames simply by acting smart and taking care of their brands
    I take it, we were not a SEGA fan and never really followed SEGA then ? because SEGA tended to go, or do the opposite to NCL and they never tried to be like NCL.. B e that chasing the CD Dream, pushing the boat out on tech (and ready to sell a console at cost price) and when it comes to games both again were very different. Nintendo went public saying they would never have released Night Trap due to it's content , SEGA not only allowed Night Trip on its console, it milked it SEGA allowed full blood and gore in its Mortal Kombat unlike the saintly NCL and bother games companies line ups have been completely different.

With a license you create a base, and then you build on it incrementally with each release, you look to the fans of the game and find out what it is that they like about it, you keep improving and improving with each console generation, you don't just milk and water down the experience, that just weakens the brand
    Shame NCL never listed to its own fans then , when it came to what Star Fox fans really wanted, The way NCL let down fans with the piss poor Metroid Other M, the way its dumped F-Zero and did Pilotwings fans really want the 3DS game ? or would have rathered a full-on meaningful sequel on the Wii ? Where's the sequels to Stunt Racer FX, Mother 2 ?, Wave race BS , 1080 avalanche, Doshin The Giant

Streets of Rage disappeared entirely, Wonder Boy disappeared entirely, Opa Opa disappeared,
    The lack of Streets of Rage for the Saturn was a screw up (more so given the 2D power) Wonderboy was never SEGA's and we had countless sequels, all of which selling less and less with each new version (despite a high quality bar) Opa Opa well did that game ever sell well on a home system

they didn't even bother making proper Sonic, Ecco the Dolphin, or Phantasy Star games on the Saturn, they didn't bother using the Outrun name anymore
    SEGA are making proper Sonic games ,and sequels to PS: you may not like or agree with the direction but it whats sells. We've had countless spins off's and a direct sequel to OutRun - And to SEGA's credit they tried both on the X-Box and PS2 and PSP and were meant with poor sales, again with Ecco; SEGA tried once on the DC and then on the PS2 and again were meant with poor sales and hence why we don't get sequels.

Next you'll be expecting SONY to make sequels to Ghost Hunter, Getaway II, Primal , Medevil II, Dropship . You see it not just SEGA, that lets go of poor selling IP

I thought they'd finally got the idea with Outrun Coast 2 Coast/Superstar Racing/Superstar Tennis in recent years, but all those games are actually made by a British company, trust a British company to work on fanservice before it even occurs to Sega.
    Oh Dear GOD , try and get your facts straight: OutRun 2006/C2C is a AM#2 game they developed and designed the game ; Sumo Digital just ported it to the home
    You want me the list the developers that's made games for NCL using thier IP?, what companies programmed Blue Storm, Pilotwings 64, F-Zero GX (or my the irony) Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, Wario World, Excitebike 64 becasue it sure as hell wasn't NCL.

the "panicked and released early" was in regards to PS1/Saturn
    Again given the Saturn was 1st shown off in January 1994 , the 1st to go public with its final design of the console, the 1st to show actual games running on the system, the 1st to get a street date of Nov 94. To make out the system was rushed out is utterly preposterous.

Don't get me started on RARE, they're another company who ultra mismanaged their brands and licences.
    They're own by MS. What did MS panic too ?. What about all those In-House teams and the IP MS left to rot ?. Again ! You see.... it's not just SEGA, that drops poor selling IP
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 04-26-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

All we have to do for print magazines is catalog the advertisements by company. It's not a fun task but it is doable, I stopped somewhere in 1991 though. NES games were the majority of advertisements in Gamepro and EGM by far at that point. Just glancing at Edge and Next Generation issues from 1995, Playstation ads seriously outweighed Saturn ads in the summer issues.

This doesn't paint a picture of what was going on in the background though. Did Sony pay for Edge to be at the Playstation launch? Did Sega do the same for the Saturn launch? We know that Sony paid Michael Jackson to play at Sony booths during E3 1995, Edge made that sound like a totally cool thing and showing how much they were backing the Playstation. Really, if you're just a casual or non-gaming writer trying to keep ahead of your work and some company pays to fly you to some expo or to their offices, giving you swag in the process, are they going to dig in their heels and say "I'm not saying anything positive until I see and play it for myself?"

The answer is no.

Sheath, are you talknig about all the ads including 3rd party ads or just first party ads? I have a couple of older issues Gamefan, Ultra Gameplayers and Next Generation under my bed right now. Actually I bought the very first issues of Next Generation last year so whenever i am free I will try and take a gander at them.

That is a great question. In the case of NES games it was unclear whether the ad was paid for by Nintendo or the third party that "published"the game. I would catalog them by platform, the first party stuff seems to emphasize only first party titles and the platform itself.

Ah ok, so you just listed a whole load of crap Saturn games, fair enough, the set-up was fairly confusing but I guess that's because it was taken from a database.

Its interesting to see that Sega's library was still fairly emphasising interactive movie/FMV games during 1995, there definitely seems to be less of that in your PS1 list, were Sony refusing releases for that sort of game?

There's also lots of shovelware Astal, Clockwork Knight etc, games which were extremely short, with little to no content, and seemed to be pushed out as fast as possible to make up the numbers.
    I only see 2 FMV games on the Saturn's game list. And they are both ports from the Sega CD. That doesn't really say emphasizing that genre. As for the shovelware, I see tons of it on the PS1 list as well.

Thread Information