Quantcast

Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

Antiquing Shining Hero QuickSciFi's Avatar

Thank you, once again. I can't wait to see your vid. Maybe you'll make it a special Saturn's 16th Birthday video.

Also: Happy 16 Birthday to my favorite 32 Bit Machine.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    Check this out

Videos like these often remind me of how desperate it can sometimes feel trying to build a good library of 3D titles up on the Saturn. I often trawl through youtube or ebay looking for just that one more 3D arcade racer outside of Daytona and Sega Rally that might just be worth dropping the cash for. Mostly I'm disappointed by both the low number of titles and their general mediocrity.

Though their is one or two gems like the Touge series and Shutoko Battle.

Its generally the problem with the ole' Saturn it was never incapable of great 3D its just sorely underrepresented with a low number of titles in certain genres once you go past the obvious stuff, hence why I think it gets such a bad rep, since certain tastes had changed in the mid-90's and you needed killer apps in key areas.
    But then most people would ridicule me for looking in the wrong direction when the Saturn was always about those excellent 2D niche titles.

Quickly on another note, Sheath you should really check out Touge King 2, its a great looking racer on the old Saturn you could use for some of your comparisons. Handling takes a while to get used to be its a cracking play. Its got a fantastic draw distance, and its probably the only racer I've found on the Saturn with any form of realtime lighting, something often sacrificed either due to lazy coding or devs trying to lower the processing burden on the Saturn. In Touge 2 the cars are nicely Gouraud shading.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Isn't the first Touge King what was renamed into High Velocity in the States? I'm having a hard time remember what it was called in Japan. I have the first Tokyo Highway Battle on PS1 and just need to pick up the Japanese Saturn version. I'm over my games budget at this point, so it'll be a while for those two. These little $5 purchases add up quick!

-edit-

I was thinking of King the Spirits that became High Velocity, I haven't seen the second version of that one running either.

YM2612+SN76489 = eargasm! ESWAT Veteran Christuserloeser's Avatar

No, it's the same game:
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Sega's worst damn enemy was (and continues to be) Sega.
    189 157 262 502 517 659 220 556 112

Road Rasher

Yeah thats right. High Velocity in the US and Blighty UK. Touge King: The Spirits and its sequel often have their series title muddled up in all sorts of ways by various people on the net.

Anyway heres a vid of its better looking sequel as well.

Theres another vid on youtube I think by madroms using ssf emulation, avoid that one because it makes the game look pants (no disrespect to madroms if he frequents this forum).

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Great video SciFi! Nice little collection, keep it up! I'm still looking for Astal, not the easiest game to find, and I haven't been able to pay the $20 or so bucks for it yet. Definitely want to play through it though! And you've inspired me to do my own collection video, I'll put mine up tomorrow!
    Those ebay prices are horrible now. I paid I think 15 dollars total for my copy of Astal

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Those ebay prices are horrible now. I paid I think 15 dollars total for my copy of Astal
    Yeah. Last year it was going for about $20, now I've seen it sold for up to $45. What the hell! I borrowed a friend's copy for a little while but didn't get past the second or third level I think. It was a great game though, and I still really want to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by TVC 15 View Post
    Yeah thats right. High Velocity in the US and Blighty UK. Touge King: The Spirits and its sequel often have their series title muddled up in all sorts of ways by various people on the net.

Anyway heres a vid of its better looking sequel as well.

Theres another vid on youtube I think by madroms using ssf emulation, avoid that one because it makes the game look pants (no disrespect to madroms if he frequents this forum).
    That looks like the same shading that is in the first game, its sort of an atmosphere shading for the far background. Man, I have had a great time with this game since my friend Belpowerslave at WAG introduced it to me. I actually ignored it back in the day because of the cheap looking box art.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Also: Happy 16 Birthday to my favorite 32 Bit Machine.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    That looks like the same shading that is in the first game, its sort of an atmosphere shading for the far background. Man, I have had a great time with this game since my friend Belpowerslave at WAG introduced it to me. I actually ignored it back in the day because of the cheap looking box art.

Aye their is the basic shading that obviously helps hide any scenery clipping as it comes into view. But look closely at the cars in the video, theres a metallic like sheen on them that changes in realtime thats clearly gouraud shading, I've not seen any other Saturn racers with a comparable effect. The shading on the cars in Touge 1/High velocity looks similar at first glance but is just 'painted in' so to speak on the textures and is static.

Anyway sorry I'm nitpicking and sound like a tit .

Their both great looking, and I agree their a fantastic play, especially once you get the hang of the drift mechanic.

Any other decent Saturn racer recommendations anybody?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The cars have a similar faked environment mapping effect to what was used in Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer 4. That is a very unique thing in Saturn racers, most of the Saturn racers focus on (unnaturally) colorful environments and de-emphasize the cars looking good in the process.

As for other recommendations, one of the magazines mentioned that the Nascar games were impressive because of their "wall of cars".

I owned at least one of those versions and thought it was butt ugly though. Even my car nut roomate, who now has me playing Forza 3 online with him, ended up preferring Daytona CCE back in the day. I'm much more of a street racer fan I guess:

Antiquing Shining Hero QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post

What was that, your statement of preference for the PS1 instead?

That isn't possible, synbios fan must be the most dedicated Saturn aficionado I have ever met.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

If you can't make fun of your own kind, who can you make fun of!

I stole it from another thread and thought here was the perfect spot.

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

How much an emphasis do you guys put on "cib" import Saturn games. The ones with all the standard stuff but with the spine card, reg. card and whatever inserts it came with?

Thread Information