Quantcast

Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

Master of Shinobi

Its like a more advanced version of Virtua Racer, but with stock cars instead of Formula 1s.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    No, the SMS version of Bubble Bobble is one of the most respected versions of the game, in comparison to the arcade version it has extra levels, it has a password system, it has two exclusive new boss fights, it has more secret rooms.
    I misspoke. The SMS version of Rainbow Islands is buggy. We're talking about two games in one, not just Bubble Bobble. In any case, the SMS version of Bubble Bobble, extras aside, is a bit off. I'm pretty sure it was designed for PAL, because the movement is a bit screwy playing in 60 Hz. Also, the music is absolutely horrid.

Yes it was out of date, because most people had already played it years earlier, and at the time you could pick up old versions of the game for less than 1/3rd the price of the Saturn game for just about every system in existence.
    I'm not saying it wasn't out of date. I'm just saying that it's irrelevant.

Just because it was out of date doesn't mean I think the game has no merit though, it simply means that I don't think its a particularly strong or notable release for that time or system.
    I don't know about "strong" or "notable". It's either worth playing or it isn't, and in my opinion, it is.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi Team Andromeda's Avatar

Dear god you're really hitting rock bottom, what with this and Metacritic links loads of rubbish . . No REZ doesn't play for feel like Panzer Dragoon and it's made by a totally different team and to bring up the odd Artist is utterly pathetic . Part of the Victory Goal members also worked on Panzer Dragoon, Part of the Switch Team (Mega CD) worked on panzer Dragoon, staff and producers always get moved around.

REZ plays more like Space Harrier than Panzer

It now seems you're bashing the Saturn for the sake of it and hitting the bottom of the barrel rather quickly
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    Daytona USA was a pretty awesome Saturn game as I recall.

The only version that matches the Arcade AI, handling and textures almost perfectly , something that was completely lacking in the Daytona CCE and Daytona USA 2001
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The only version that matches the Arcade AI, handling and textures almost perfectly, something that was completely lacking in the Daytona CCE and Daytona USA 2001
    There you go again, passing off your opinion as fact.
    Daytona USA Circuit Edition is the best console version of Daytona USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    There you go again, passing off your opinion as fact.
    Daytona USA Circuit Edition is the best console version of Daytona USA.
    Sorry should have added imo. Daytona USA CCE plays nothing like the AM#2 game, the handling is different, the AI is different (the way the cars would hustle and surround you on the sides inthe AM#2 Saturn and Model 2 version) and there's a complete lack of crashes where the cars flipping the Air (by the AI cars) in CCE . In the Arcade and Saturn Am#2 versions you could stop your car at certain points and cause a massive pile up and see AI cars flip right up inthe Air, something which is next to impossible in CCE version
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Real Gamers Wear Monocles Master of Shinobi mick_aka's Avatar

Sorry should have added imo. Daytona USA CCE plays nothing like the AM#2 game, the handling is different, the AI is different (the way the cars would hustle and surround you on the sides inthe AM#2 Saturn and Model 2 version) and there's a complete lack of crashes where the cars flipping the Air (by the AI cars) in CCE . In the Arcade and Saturn Am#2 versions you could stop your car at certain points and cause a massive pile up and see AI cars flip right up inthe Air, something which is next to impossible in CCE version
    I think he was referring to the Japanese 'Circuit Edition' (CE) not Championship Circuit Edition (CCE), CE was excellent, best of both worlds IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega
    When I speculate, I post sources to back up my claims.

Quote Originally Posted by mick_aka View Post
    I think he was referring to the Japanese 'Circuit Edition' (CE) not Championship Circuit Edition (CCE), CE was excellent, best of both worlds IMHO.
    I have both versions and they are very much the same , and no the Jp version doesn't handled much better , or features the Model 2 or AM#2 Saturn port AI or crashes imo
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I have both versions and they are very much the same , and no the Jp version doesn't handled much better , or features the Model 2 or AM#2 Saturn port AI or crashes imo
    It does play a bit better. And there are settings to alter handling in the options menu. And the original car model is selectable in that version. I don't know if it is in the original CCE.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I don't remember seeing the original Gallop car in Circuit Edition, how do you select it?

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

I said I was pretty much done talking about SA, but I guess I'll address this stuff.

No the original Sonic was very every linear, same for Sonic II , same for Sonic CD. Sonic III did start to break that trend, but in the end all Platform games have pre planned routes and a couple of the stages in Sonic Adv had preaching paths
    The original Sonic had branching paths. You could take the upper pathways, or the lower pathways. This is why I question you knowledge on the subject.

It's something that most games will do to add length or replay value.
    That's pure BS. If I'd bought Bass Fishing, played the first lake and was ready to go to the next day, wouldn't it be pretty inconvenient if the game required me to gas up the boat, as a side mission, before I could actually start fishing? So, I've completed the second day of fishing, and I want to continue to the 3rd, but the game now requires me to shop for lures, but I can't do that until I find the shop owner first. I believe my fishing controller would have hit the storage closet by then.

Wandering around is what a lot people to in Platform games.
    A lot of platform games do not require you to do lame side missions, in order to actually play the platforming game you thought you'd bought. If those games are out there, they are few and far between. The bonus rounds in games like Super Mario 3 are nothing like that crap.

lets gets this straight . Sonic CD not a Sonic game ?, and not a Platform game ?

Like I said in my original post:

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Like Sonic R, I just didn't care for the running and collecting rings. It was just plain boring. It didn't feel anything like the original Sonic.

Oh Dear GOD , that kills it and you've lost any creditability.
    I lose credibility, because I show a source with current views of the game, that aren't favorable? A great game holds up, no matter how old it is. Sonic Adventure does not hold up well, because it did so many things wrong, over what was done right with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    Its the 360 and PS3 ports which are slammed pretty hard, and to be honest I'd imagine that most games from 10 years ago would now be rated quite poorly if re-released on their own, and with no improvements. Sonic Adventure was a great game but it had issues, issues which back ~2000 were acceptable and commonplace. What the critics don't find acceptable is that even in 2010 these issues still haven't been resolved, and straight porting a Dreamcast game to XBox or PS3 is lazy.
    You don't hear people slamming Mario 64, and I have no doubts that when the 3DS version is released, it will get shining reviews.

This is from a book I own called "1001 Video games you must play before you die" written by a group of industry veterans -

"Sonic Team's flawed masterpiece.....the game brilliantly captures traditional Sonic elements"

From EDGE magazine's top 100 games ever made list (2000) -

"#51: ....Adventure proudly displays the hallmarks of Sonic Team, with frequently masterful touches of imagination and graphical flair that does justice to Sega's 128bit technology. Rough edges aside, a dreamy title."

Gamespot -

".....Sonic is back in classic form after an all-too-long hiatus......Even with its flaws, Sonic Team has produced a 3D experience unlike any to date......9.2/10"

DC-UK magazine -

"I was a big fan of Mario on the Nintendo 64 - that game kept me up late into the night and the graphics were amazing. But Sonic Adventure is better! 9/10"

IGN pointed out problems, but overall liked it -

"....The bottom line is that SA is a great game, but it is just too far from perfection to be considered a must-have title for the casual gamer during the Dreamcast launch. Hardcore platforming fans would be stupid not to pick this title up however...8.6/10"

Neither of those games is "solid" both were great games and both got positive 10)
    reviews at release across the board, as did Sonic Adventure 2 (Gamepro 4.5/5, IGN 9.4/
    It appears your book was written somewhere between 1999 and 2000. Let's see how that list would stack up today.

Obviously the guy above calling Sonic Adventure better than Mario 64, considered one of the top 3 games ever made, is smoking Halverson herb.

If we're going to be strict with criteria (Fur Fighters, and Soul Reaver for instance both have a notable amount of platforming sections incorporated into them, and are both excellent) then Evil Twin is "solid", and both Qu@ck Att@ck, and Super Magnetic Neo are decent, scoring ~7/10 from many reviewers.

Also if we're being harsh with criteria, then that removes Burning Rangers (which is a 3rd person shooting/action game) and Tomb Raider (which is adventure) from the Saturn's list of straight platformers.
    Fur Fighters is not a platformer and Tomb Raider is considered an action adventure game. Burning Rangers is categorized as a platformer.

Yep, same 16-bit games with better presentation (graphics/music), just like I said.
    You could say the same for the 16-bit platformers. It's not like the 8-bit platformers didn't set the bar for those 16-bit games.

Symphony of the Night on the other hand is huge and ambitious.
    So was Super Metroid, which clearly has been the influence behind Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon and the countless other Metroidvanias.

No, the SMS version of Bubble Bobble is one of the most respected versions of the game, in comparison to the arcade version it has extra levels, it has a password system, it has two exclusive new boss fights, it has more secret rooms.
    Yet it has issues like sprite breakup and slowdown. The Saturn version is pretty much arcade perfect.

Yes it was out of date, because most people had already played it years earlier, and at the time you could pick up old versions of the game for less than 1/3rd the price of the Saturn game for just about every system in existence.
    Older versions that were inferior to the actual arcade game. Namco Museum and Midway's treasure series were very popular during the 32-bit era and well into the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era as well.

Just because it was out of date doesn't mean I think the game has no merit though, it simply means that I don't think its a particularly strong or notable release for that time or system.
    So, you think the Dreamcast holds up now, considering how far technology has advanced? Good gameplay and design > technology.

Like I'd said before, this is a direct comparison of the Dreamcast library to that of the Saturn's. If you want to include every system and gaming resource available, the DC library becomes quite thin, once you consider MAME, and the countless ports of DC titles to other systems. The Saturn has more exclusive titles that were never ported over to any other system. These titles include: Guardian Heroes, Dark Savior, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining: The Holy Ark, Dragon Force, Nights, Decathlete, Winter Heat, Wing Arms, Mysteria: ROL, Shining Force III, Magic Knight Rayearth, Iron Storm, Gun Griffon, Burning Rangers.....
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-22-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I don't remember seeing the original Gallop car in Circuit Edition, how do you select it?
    Hold R+X+Y+Z at the title screen and Select Arcade Mode. A new car should be added called "DAYTONA". It's the original Hornet and uses the same model and textures from the original port.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    It does play a bit better. And there are settings to alter handling in the options menu. And the original car model is selectable in that version. I don't know if it is in the original CCE.
    I know I have both versions and both version don't power slide like the Model 2 or AM#2 ports imo, and the AI and crashes is completely lacking in CE editions. Try it, you can stop your car right by the Sonic Wall and cause a massive pile up on the Beginer course in the Saturn and Arcade versions, something which you can't in any version of CE or CCE.

The original Sonic had branching paths. You could take the upper pathways, or the lower pathways
    The original Sonic was completely linear with the odd secret path here and there, no different from Sonic Adv

If I'd bought Bass Fishing, played the first lake and was ready to go to the next day
    Then you'll be playing a different game, and not a Platform game. I could list quite a few Platform games where you're spend quite a lot of time wandering around for certain items and if one finished Super Ghost N Ghouls they have to play through the whole game again, is that to make it seems bigger than what it actually is ?

A lot of platform games do not require you to do lame side missions,
    Sonic Adv doesn't either , its completely optional to the main Adv (unless you want to see the true ending)

Like I said in my original post
    So lets get this straight, Sonic CD didn't feel or play like the classic Sonic ???.

I lose credibility, because I show a source with current views of the game
    Anyone that needs to post links to Metric ratings is hitting the low standards one expects to see in Game FAQ's.

A great game holds up, no matter how old it is
    3D games will often age quite baldy compared to 2D games , and Sonic Adv still plays great.

It appears your book was written somewhere between 1999 and 2000. Let's see how that list would stack up today
    Yes when the game was released , Lost's of games reviewed back then just wouldn't stand up to the test of time. Rayman II doesn't on the 3DS (even though imo it's still quite brilliant) If people we to review Shenmue 1 now it wouldn't be anything special as people have moved on , same goes for PSO , Crazy Taxi and a whole host of DC classics that all had AAA reviews in their day, but would never review as well as that now, not that official reviews mean much anyway

Tomb Raider is considered an action adventure game. Burning Rangers is categorized as a
    Tomb Raider is a Platform game at heart, far more so than Burning Rangers truth be told
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The Saturn has more exclusive titles that were never ported over to any other system. These titles include: Guardian Heroes, Dark Savior, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining: The Holy Ark, Dragon Force, Nights, Decathlete, Winter Heat, Wing Arms, Mysteria: ROL, Shining Force III, Magic Knight Rayearth, Iron Storm, Gun Griffon, Burning Rangers.....
    I certainly don't want to diminish your point, as I wholly agree with you, but a bunch of those you listed are available on other platforms.
    Dragon Force, Nights, and Decathlete are on JPN PS2; Wing Arms was available for JPN Windows, and of course Guardian Heroes is comings out on xbox360.
    Batsugun is a big one, Battle Garegga, Legend of Oasis, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, VATLVA, Necronomicon, Prikura Diasakusen, Taroumaru, Cotton 2... those are some big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    I certainly don't want to diminish your point, as I wholly agree with you, but a bunch of those you listed are available on other platforms.
    Dragon Force, Nights, and Decathlete are on JPN PS2; Wing Arms was available for JPN Windows, and of course Guardian Heroes is comings out on xbox360.
    Batsugun is a big one, Battle Garegga, Legend of Oasis, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, VATLVA, Necronomicon, Prikura Diasakusen, Taroumaru, Cotton 2... those are some big ones.
    I really don't get this it's available on other platforms... a whole host of DC and SNES and Mega Drive classics are available on the 360, PS3 or Wii ( Yet I see on many on here still rave about what a class console the Mega Drive or DC was ) and then there matter of the consoles like the PS2 wasn't around at the time of the Saturn, so unless you had a wonderful crystal ball and decided to wait years, the only way to play the likes of Dectahlete was on the Saturn or the Arcade at the time (and the PS2 port is bloody awful btw). Also I've never been a fan of comparing PC and Console versions of the same game given the huge gulf in price of the 2 different platforms more so in the early and mid 90's

Just because years down the line a game becomes available on different Platform should never take away from the game or the host platform it was on
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information