Quantcast

Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I really don't get this it's available on other platforms... a whole host of DC and SNES and Mega Drive classics are available on the 360, PS3 or Wii ( Yet I see on many on here still rave about what a class console the Mega Drive or DC was ) and then there matter of the consoles like the PS2 wasn't around at the time of the Saturn, so unless you had a wonderful crystal ball and decided to wait years, the only way to play the likes of Dectahlete was on the Saturn or the Arcade at the time (and the PS2 port is bloody awful btw). Also I've never been a fan of comparing PC and Console versions of the same game given the huge gulf in price of the 2 different platforms more so in the early and mid 90's

Just because years down the line a game becomes available on different Platform should never take away from the game or the host platform it was on
    The whole comparison between the two consoles is the now, not back when they first came out. The DC was a better system when it had online play and it's library was exclusive to it. Like I'd said earlier, judge the systems on what games are playable, not on what you can play on another console. If someone wants to start bringing up the fact that game X can be played on another system, then they need to consider the same for the Dreamcast library.

Then you'll be playing a different game, and not a Platform game. I could list quite a few Platform games where you're spend quite a lot of time wandering around for certain items and if one finished Super Ghost N Ghouls they have to play through the whole game again, is that to make it seems bigger than what it actually is ?
    The original Sonic was completely linear with the odd secret path here and there, no different from Sonic Adv

That's why I said I'm done talking about Sonic Adventure with you. You're comments make it sound like you don't get what people are saying, or don't understand basic gaming concepts. Many levels in Sonic give you the option of taking a high path, or a lower path, or backtracking to explore both paths. Those options a less often available in Sonic Adventure.

Anyone that needs to post links to Metric ratings is hitting the low standards one expects to see in Game FAQ's.
    Oh yeah, but it's okay to post reviews from people that are gushing over a game on new hardware. Most people came down to Earth and realized Sonic hasn't been that great of a franchise since it went 3D. Hell, even Loaded received favorable reviews, even though as a game it pretty much sucked.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-23-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi Team Andromeda's Avatar

The whole comparison between the two consoles is the now, not back when they first came out
    ? Those classic consoles have long stopped being Manufactured. You look and compare consoles and games to rival system and games that was out in the same period not now.

The DC was a better system when it had online play and it's library was exclusive to it
    Saturn had on-line play and many more exclusives to it's name , also unlike the DC Many of them did not go multi Platform in the system Life time, DC on the other hand saw the likes of Head Hunter, REZ, Space Channel 5 , Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi while the system was still being sold in the shops

Many levels in Sonic give you the option of taking a high path, or a lower path, or backtracking to explore both paths. Those options a less often available in Sonic Adventure.
    In the latter Sonic's , not in Sonic which was very linear much like Sonic Adv were it also has high and low paths in the likes of Red Mountain and Sky Deck stages

Oh yeah, but it's okay to post reviews from people that are gushing over a game on new hardware
    You've lost me on that one.

But If you're going to metric game reviews you might as well go by sales as to which game is the best and console is the best . Far better, if people go only what they feel and like, not what they read ....

Most people came down to Earth and realized Sonic hasn't been that great of a franchise since it went 3D.
    Most people really liked and rated the two 3D Dreamcast outings , it's ever since Sonic heroes, Shadow (which to be fair was only a spin off) and Sonic 06 that people started to dislike and knock the 3D sonic games

Hell, even Loaded received favorable reviews, even though as a game it pretty much sucked
    You may not like it, but other's did like the simple and action packed pick and up play gameplay . I thought it was a nice game myself but nothing more than decent.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Most people came down to Earth and realized Sonic hasn't been that great of a franchise since it went 3D. Hell, even Loaded received favorable reviews, even though as a game it pretty much sucked.
    What's so especially wrong with Loaded? I always thought it pure Genesis gameplay on 32 bits. Yes, only Cap'n'Hands is really usable, but it has semifunctional 2p, which is better than 90% of sports games, and if you turn off the tuneless rap the carnage and graphics can be enjoyed that much more. Really the only sick game I like, unless Burgertime counts.

I really don't get this it's available on other platforms... a whole host of DC and SNES and Mega Drive classics are available on the 360, PS3 or Wii ( Yet I see on many on here still rave about what a class console the Mega Drive or DC was ) and then there matter of the consoles like the PS2 wasn't around at the time of the Saturn, so unless you had a wonderful crystal ball and decided to wait years, the only way to play the likes of Dectahlete was on the Saturn or the Arcade at the time (and the PS2 port is bloody awful btw).

Just because years down the line a game becomes available on different Platform should never take away from the game or the host platform it was on
    Are you really that obtuse that you dont get the concept of system exclusivity.

The only thing taken away from Saturn by having Guardian Heroes acailable on Xbox is that it is no ponger an issue of: "well if you want to play game So-and-so, then you have only one option."

And what is so awful about Decathalete on PS2?

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    I certainly don't want to diminish your point, as I wholly agree with you, but a bunch of those you listed are available on other platforms.
    Dragon Force, Nights, and Decathlete are on JPN PS2; Wing Arms was available for JPN Windows, and of course Guardian Heroes is comings out on xbox360.
    Batsugun is a big one, Battle Garegga, Legend of Oasis, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, VATLVA, Necronomicon, Prikura Diasakusen, Taroumaru, Cotton 2... those are some big ones.
    How many of those games made it here?

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    In any case, the SMS version of Bubble Bobble, extras aside, is a bit off. I'm pretty sure it was designed for PAL, because the movement is a bit screwy playing in 60 Hz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yet it has issues like sprite breakup and slowdown. The Saturn version is pretty much arcade perfect.
    Being that The Saturn version of Bubble Bobble isn't very well respected at all amongst the community I did a quick check of a video on Youtube.

After mere seconds of watching the video of the Saturn port its clear as day to me that its not "arcade perfect" the jumping is obviously wrong (shooting you up like a rocket), and the falling speed is clearly at double the speed of the arcade version so at the very least the movement is totally wrong.

I can't see much else without buying it myself (which I have no intention of doing) so I have some questions.

1. What is Baron Von Blubba's movement like (does he pause between bursts of speed or travel constantly?, does he travel through the bottom of the screen to the top?)

2. Are the item counters working properly (if you run back and forth along the bottom of the 1st stage repeatedly do you get shoes on the next level? if you keep firing bubbles does a candy appear instead?) virtually all ports (except SMS) get all of this completely wrong

3. Do EXTEND bubble appear when you burst fewer than 3 enemies simultaneously?

You don't hear people slamming Mario 64, and I have no doubts that when the 3DS version is released, it will get shining reviews.
    Banjo Kazooie 360 review from Eurogamer 5/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/banjo-kazooie-review

Crazy Taxi's 360 Metacritic score is 59

I'm sure I remember Rayman 2 on the DS getting slammed hard too, most games (including Mario 64's score on DS) lose at least 10 percent on average compared to when they come out.

It appears your book was written somewhere between 1999 and 2000. Let's see how that list would stack up today.
    No, my book was written in 2010 it goes all the way up to including PS3 games such as Heavy Rain.

Fur Fighters is not a platformer and Tomb Raider is considered an action adventure game. Burning Rangers is categorized as a platformer.
    What genre Gamespot designates games as doesn't prove, or show anything, Fur Fighters has loads of platforming sections in it on top of the shooting and puzzle elements, Burning Rangers has tons of shooting and action elements on top of the platforming, most games should probably be designated with multiple attributes to be honest, because a lot of these games offer multipe things in different genres.

Older versions that were inferior to the actual arcade game.
    The Saturn version isn't arcade perfect, the later versions are so they make it redundant, the SMS version was the best home port of the time in which the game was first out, which makes it notable from a historic standpoint, its also pretty accurate gameplay wise, and has loads of extras not in the arcade version, which still make it worth checking out even now for fans of the series, its not some also ran Saturn port lost in the masses of unnotable inaccurate, forgettable ports of the game out there.

The Saturn has more exclusive titles that were never ported over to any other system. These titles include: Guardian Heroes, Dark Savior, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining: The Holy Ark, Dragon Force, Nights, Decathlete, Winter Heat, Wing Arms, Mysteria: ROL, Shining Force III, Magic Knight Rayearth, Iron Storm, Gun Griffon, Burning Rangers.....
    The Dreamcast may not have as many "pure" exclusives as the Saturn, but it does have some Jet Set Radio, Toy Commander, Metropolis Street Racer, Ooga Booga, Record of Lodoss War, Shenmue, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2, Armada, Daytona USA 2001, Elemental Gimmick Gear etc

But what it does have which the Saturn doesn't, is a mass of superior multi-platform titles, virtually everything released during the PS1 era was at least marginally improved for DC (with frame rate improvements and the odd new effect added), and virtually everything ported from Dreamcast to PS2 ended up inferior (jaggies, missing lighting and shadow effects, and often even texture quality)

Also the games ported from the arcades were often not actually ports (many used the same hardware as the Dreamcast) and as such are literally arcade perfect (and in fact many had additions too), Saturn arcade ports range from being better than arcade (such as Hyper Duel) to being respectable (such as Marvel Superheroes)

Batsugun is a big one, Battle Garegga, Legend of Oasis, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, VATLVA, Necronomicon, Prikura Diasakusen, Taroumaru, Cotton 2... those are some big ones.
    Half these games aren't exclusives, they're arcade ports, if you want to include arcade ports then Dreamcast has Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat, Mars Matrix, Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Border Down, Rival Schools 2, Cannon Spike, Tech Romancer, Confidential Mission, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (from what I've heard, confusingly the PS1 "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" is actual Jojo's Venture, with some extras, whilst the Dreamcast version is based on the 2nd version of the arcade game, kind of like comparing Street Fighter II SNES, with Champion Edition on Mega Drive)

No REZ doesn't play for feel like Panzer Dragoon and it's made by a totally different team and to bring up the odd Artist is utterly pathetic.
    Sorry, but someone saying "largely made up of ex Panzer Dragoon staff" doesn't indicate one person to me, so I would imagine you've missed something, two more of my books/magazines also mention Rez as being made by Panzer people

REZ plays more like Space Harrier than Panzer
    I've played both to death, so I know they play very similarly to each other. Rez is more pure straightforward score attack than Zwei, and they thankfully removed the (god awful) emphasis on 360 degree movement that the Panzer series had, but all in all from a pure gameplay standpoint they're not that dissimilar

Real Gamers Wear Monocles Master of Shinobi mick_aka's Avatar

Why does every Saturn thread on here turn into a wall of text big dick contest? *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega
    When I speculate, I post sources to back up my claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    The Dreamcast may not have as many "pure" exclusives as the Saturn, but it does have some Jet Set Radio, Toy Commander, Metropolis Street Racer, Ooga Booga, Record of Lodoss War, Shenmue, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2, Armada, Daytona USA 2001, Elemental Gimmick Gear etc
    I know you don't like them, perhaps due to their classing as rpgs, but you ought to include the Evolution games. These are great dungeon-crawlers {that should be their class, a subclass of rpg}, much like Azure Dreams, and the natural descendants of the amazing slue of pen-and-paper licensees on G and NES. There, a point for DC.

Rez is more pure straightforward score attack than Zwei, and they thankfully removed the (god awful) emphasis on 360 degree movement that the Panzer series had, but all in all from a pure gameplay standpoint they're not that dissimilar
    That 360 degree movement is a high virtue; otherwise it'd play like Space Harrier. You've just snuffed my interest in Rez.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    I know you don't like them, perhaps due to their classing as rpgs, but you ought to include the Evolution games. There, a point for DC.
    Those games are actually on Gamecube in a collection

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    That 360 degree movement is a high virtue; otherwise it'd play like Space Harrier. You've just snuffed my interest in Rez.
    OK, your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    How many of those games made it here?
    What does that matter?
    It's not like the internet and mail order doesn't exist.
    Besides, Electronics Boutique stocked Saturn imports.
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 06-23-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Those games are actually on Gamecube in a collection
    A point for DC over Saturn. I thought that your gist. Or is it DC vs the world? Shit, I'm not trying to give you grief, you're obviously someone who knows a lot about and loves the DC; you're just wrong about the Saturn.

Half these games aren't exclusives, they're arcade ports, if you want to include arcade ports then Dreamcast has ...
    DO YOU HAVE AN ARCADE IN YOUR HOME?
    I doubt it. then those Saturn ports are the exclusive home releases.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Besides, Electronics Boutique stocked Saturn imports.
    The one's in my area (Detroit suburbs) definitely didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    The one's in my area (Detroit suburbs) definitely didn't!
    Your loss.

This thread is such a fucking retarded mess.
    It's all just a bunch of internet noise.
    ......bbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    that's what this thread sounds like.

Thread Information