Quantcast

Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

These vids were done with Avid Free DV, which forced the bitrate down to 700kbps if I recall. I wasn't satisfied with their quality when I made them as the finer details were fudged slightly. I've been wrong before but I only saw the differences as simple display methods between the Dreamcast and PS2 with Code Veronica.

If you are watching these videos on youtube make sure 480p is selected. The original video quality is better than that though.

RECVComp001.AVI
    RECVComp002.AVI
    RECVMotion.AVI
    RECVMotion002.AVI

Trekkies, I don't own the Gamecube version of Code Veronica X and haven't compared it before.

Since this topic is busted anyway, I find the comparison of Resident Evil 4 between the Gamecube and PS2 much more interesting.

Better quality link
    Last edited by sheath; 06-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.

This link does a fast run through of the differences between every version of Resident Evil games, there's not much to it, and I don't know how accurate it is, but it may be useful.

http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/611/611260p1.html

I can tell you right now the comparison between Saturn and PS1 is wrong. PS1 actually has faster load times than the Saturn for the door sequences. The Saturn however saves faster since it doesn't have to deal with memory cards. As for graphics it's a toss up between the two. Some models and textures look better on Saturn, and others look better on PS1. PS1 does have the edge on Lighting and Transparency though.

Also if I remember correctly Code Veronica X was released for the Dreamcast in Japan. A quick search on ebay seems to have confirmed this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIOHAZARD-Code-V...item3cad06efc4

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Is it in english?

On the subject of Saturn, this month's issue of Retro Gamer has a spread on the console.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    As for graphics it's a toss up between the two.
    No it isn't, the PS1 version of Resident Evil is clearly better than the Saturn version, which has bad textures, non-existant lighting, and worse transparencies, we've already been through this before.

Last edited by Thenewguy; 06-25-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Master of Shinobi Team Andromeda's Avatar

Who are you asking this? I don't care, I never said I did care, all I said was that an arcade port isn't exactly the same as an exclusive
    What utter nonsense, of course a Arcade port can count as an console exclusive it it's only ever ported to one console , more so when many will never own , or be able to afford the Arcade game in question.

1. Battle Garegga, and the rest of the listed games are arcade ports
    2. Arcade ports aren't exactly the same as pure exclusives due to the existence of MAME, and the original arcade machines.
    Mame wasn't really around in the SNES or Saturn era and so many users of both the PS or Saturn would count Arcade ports as exclusives , You're really going to tell me that the likes of Tekken, Virtual Fighter and a whole host more were never counted as exclusives . Fine you might have been able to afford and buy a 12,000 state of the Art coin up to play inthe home, Most wouldn't

So lets cut the MAME load of bullcrap , and lets just go one what games each console could played host too at the time.

No it isn't, the PS1 version of Resident Evil is clearly better than the Saturn version, which has bad textures, non-existant lighting, and worse transparencies
    The Saturn version features the better backgrounds and I don't think the Textures are any worse , the lack of gouraud shading is a killer though. Saturn version has the better extra's , controls better far better too

Also if I remember correctly Code Veronica X was released for the Dreamcast in Japan. A quick search on ebay seems to have confirmed this:
    yes it was, and It's ace
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Saturn models don't have glitchy flickering polygons around the joints. So that's a plus for Saturn. As for the texture issues, it looks to me like an issue that could be resolved by altering brightness and contrast settings on your TV.

And as already stated the Saturn version has cleaner backgrounds.

As for Dreamcast Code Veronica X if I remember correctly it's like all the other Japanese Resident Evil games. Voices and what not are in English with Japanese subtitles.

I'm not sure if these were posted yet and the new search feature makes it almost impossible to search threads.

EGM May 1995 Saturn previews and AM2 Interview.

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I would say that the Dreamcast was better than the PS2, library wise, well into 2004, but the mass market ate up every game released on PS2. It is odd that the Dreamcast's popularity soared after 2004, because at the same time Sega's third party titles were flopping across the board except for Sonic games and the 2K series (which EA and the NFL would shortly kill). I think the Dreamcast could have left Sega in a great PR position for a next generation console in the US only. But Sega's games were never going to be popular again, no matter what console and no matter how much marketing they received.
    People love understating stuff on this site way too much. Omg the DC had a overwhelmingly better library then the PS2 for almost the entire lifespan of the PS2, it wasn't until they very end of the PS2's like span, where their high quality games added up(even then, if the PS2 didn't have a ton of high quality ports of DC games, the DC would've been the best system between the two/tied at very least, library wise throughout the entire life span of the PS2. Lol am I the only one whom finds that sad, the DC was only around for a fraction of the time the PS2 was, yet the PS2 barely has a better library).

Kinda funny how hyped up and well received Daytona Seemed to be only for people to complain about the pop up after it released.

I think the biggest complaint for Daytona was the framerate, which most people could only describe as "smoothness". Once the game was called "not smooth" everybody started saying that the graphics sucked, and down the toilet the discussion went. Even with the low polycounts and framerate, Daytona USA is a super advanced 3D racing engine.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I thought "smoothness" referred to the textures/models. The Saturn port is a bit "rough" looking compared to the arcade.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I think the biggest complaint for Daytona was the framerate, which most people could only describe as "smoothness". Once the game was called "not smooth" everybody started saying that the graphics sucked, and down the toilet the discussion went. Even with the low polycounts and framerate, Daytona USA is a super advanced 3D racing engine.
    Yea, I'm pretty sure that was the case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I thought "smoothness" referred to the textures/models. The Saturn port is a bit "rough" looking compared to the arcade.
    The car models are lower detail, and the car textures are less detailed. The only thing I'd say that would make it rougher looking is the lower resolution. The ground textures and trackside objects are arguably better than the Model 2 game.

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

Daytona was 60FPS in the arcade and the Saturn version was like 25 FPS. That was a huge drop off. Luckily I rarely played the arcade game so IDK much about the frame rate issue. But the pop up was really there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Thread Information