Quantcast

Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Virtua Fighter is surprisingly accurate in the character models between the Saturn and Arcade game. I hope emulation gets the Arcade game right soon so I can do a comparison. The car model for Daytona is obviously Model 2, if the Saturn game had that many polygons in the main car it would have been amazing. Even Daytona Circuit Edition has low polycount car models (Gran Turismo/Ridge Racer low) to add more draw distance.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Cyber Sled for Saturn? I didn't know Namco was ever slated to make a Saturn game.
    Yeah it was in the works for the longest, but let's be real nobody missed that game on the Saturn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Master of Shinobi Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The screenshots might actually be actual Saturn shots for some of them. The Daytona USA shot seems to resemble that of the supposed High Res Mode prototype that was done by one of the Arcade team members as an idea of what Daytona USA on the Saturn should look like. It was discussed over at SegaSaturn.co.uk where a few other screen shots of it were posted. Essentially the car looks better and almost like the Arcade but the Track Detail is severely lacking. And in those shots in this Magazine scan, it looks to be exactly that.

The Panzer Dragoon Shots also look like early prototypes as well. Virtua Racing may or may not be the Saturn version. But Virtua Fighter is obviously the Arcade version.
    Those's Daytona USA shots are from a 10% Model 2 Arcade preview that SEGA showed off at various Arcade shows , VF shots are taken from the Arcade version . Only Panzer Dragoon and Clockwork Knight showed any real time footage
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

As I said it looks like the High Res Mode Prototype for Daytona USA. There's some screenshots of it floating around SegaSaturn.co.uk that have some tell tale signs that it's a Saturn High Res mode prototype. One is the lack of Track Detail, the other is that the HUD is crip and clean, but significantly smaller, suggesting a higher resolution. In the screenshots the car looks identical to the Model 2 Car, but the Track Detail is severely lacking. Those magazine Shots look exactly like that.

EDIT: TA, why would Sega be showing off a 10% complete build of Daytona USA in March of 1994? The game got a limited release in 1993 and a full release in 1994.

Road Rasher

As I said it looks like the High Res Mode Prototype for Daytona USA. There's some screenshots of it floating around SegaSaturn.co.uk that have some tell tale signs that it's a Saturn High Res mode prototype. One is the lack of Track Detail, the other is that the HUD is crip and clean, but significantly smaller, suggesting a higher resolution. In the screenshots the car looks identical to the Model 2 Car, but the Track Detail is severely lacking. Those magazine Shots look exactly like that.

EDIT: TA, why would Sega be showing off a 10% complete build of Daytona USA in March of 1994? The game got a limited release in 1993 and a full release in 1994.
    Keiji Okayasu, one of AM2's best coders, apparently (according to poster Anathemia on SegaSaturn.co.uk and Assembler) created this basic demo, as a sort of "proof-of-concept" guide for the rest of AM2 team to use as a template to work on for the Saturn conversion, the trackside detail is significantly reduced in the demo. Theres also pictures of another Hi-Res demo of Daytona with just the basic stock-car (with high detailed texturing) driving over a flat VDP2 floor.

Edit: Oh wait you already mentioned that in the post before last on the previous page, soz TrekkiesUnite!

Yeah, in the magazine scans if that is in fact the prototype I'd say it looks as though VDP1 is rendering high poly model cars, low poly scenery with VDP2 supplementing other track side detail like the Sonic Mountain.

I'm just saying the facts and my mistake it was a 5% complete Daytona USA that SEGA Japan 1st showed off in AMS Arcade show in Japan in 1993

6922060124_96b90226ce_b.jpg

7068141837_da1aec59fd_b.jpg

6922060468_a76f4d6e47_b.jpg

heres also pictures of another Hi-Res demo of Daytona with just the basic stock-car (with high detailed texturing) driving over a flat VDP2 floor
    Yes that was used in Tokyo Game show 1994 with an near enough Arcade perfect Car driving around a VDP 2 floor . The so called High Res Daytona was just a photo taken from an Daytona USA promotion shot
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Again, there were shots posted on SegaSaturn.co.uk of the High Res Daytona USA Proof of Concept. There was more than a car on a VDP2 floor. At one point there was even video footage of it from what I've been told about it.

There was more than a car on a VDP2 floor. At one point there was even video footage of it from what I've been told about it.
    It was all video footage taken from June 1994 Tokyo game show

6922224732_4aeb28f898_b.jpg

6922224538_c8de88558d_b.jpg

Again, there were shots posted on SegaSaturn.co.uk of the High Res Daytona USA Proof of Concept
    You mean this photo

7068305153_9c9b962302_b.jpg

Anyway thinking the Saturn would be able to handle that detail with 40 cars on track is quite frankly deluding themselves
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Those are not the shots I'm talking about. The ones I'm talking about actually had the HUD visible in them along with trackside detail.

Those are not the shots I'm talking about. The ones I'm talking about actually had the HUD visible in them along with trackside detail.

They're bullshit . There was some rather nice Saturn shots from a 10% complete versions that looked good almost Arcade perfect and the ones from the 25% Saturn Daytona USA looked really good even had detail like the crowd safety fencing but only had 16 cars . Lots of cuts were made to included 40 cars on a single track, at the request of Yu Suzuki. Who demanded a Arcade complete conversion.

BTW the VDP II would be no good at drawing the Sonic Mountain since its was 3D polygons .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Could you not do it the same way the backgrounds were done for Virtua Fighter 2? After all those were originally 3D polygons as well.

And I don't care if the screenshots have less than 40 cars on the track, that's not what I care about here. What I was saying was that some of those shots in the magazine scan look a lot like the high res prototype shots that were posted on SegaSaturn.co.uk that were more than a car on a VDP2 floor.

EDIT:

I just PMed Anthaemia on SegaSaturn.co.uk and he said his shot that has the HUD and is running in High Res mode comes from a 40% Build of Daytona USA for the Saturn. He said he's a bit too busy right now to go through his archives and get the shots again, but that MadRoms of Satakore is compiling a bunch of beta footage of games to put on a site and that he has the actual video that the shots came from. So the footage will eventually show up there.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 04-11-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    EGM was terrible for reviews, but they were not alone. Game Players was just as bad, and so was Game Informer. Next Generation was also pretty bad for reviews (but I loved their articles), everything was judged on how well it "pushed"/"took advantage of" the hardware.
    They all were bad, Gamepro's reviews were basically written for children. I really only used the magazines to find out what the big upcoming games were, and ignored all the reviews.
    A retarded Sonic.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    They all were bad, Gamepro's reviews were basically written for children. I really only used the magazines to find out what the big upcoming games were, and ignored all the reviews.
    Yeah, Gamepro always seemed very dumbed down to me. Game Fan was pretty decent, but they had their moments of silliness, like when they practically wet themselves over Skeleton Warriors. VG&CE was the best.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

So after over a decade of waiting patiently, I finally got a factory sealed, mint copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, essentially for $75. See, years ago, when EB Games was liquidating their saturn stock, I got tons of saturn games at stupidly low prices, like Burning Rangers for $30. The very last time I remember buying a saturn game from EB Games, I had a choice between Magic Knight Ray Earth, and Panzer Dragoon Saga, both for $30. I choose MKR because I knew it was the last saturn game released in the US, and figured that, like WD's other games, it'd become a big collectors item. And to a degree, I was right, the game goes for quite a bit online. But a few weeks later, when I went back to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was already sold out. Since then, I've vowed to not pay the outrageous amounts it goes for now because, at one point, I could have gotten it for a reasonable price and I passed on it. Today, I could afford to buy it at the $200 range it goes, but the principle remained.

Which leads me to a few days ago. I saw a craigslist ad selling a sega saturn with a bunch of highly sought after saturn titles in a bundle, for $75. Stuff like Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, etc. Stuff that goes for a lot, that I already had from when EB Games liquidated their stock. Clearly the lady who sold me the games did not buy them herself, nor did she know how much they were worth. I was originally going to just sell them on ebay, but I found a guy who straight up traded me Shining Force III and Guardian heroes for a brand new, sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga. Not only that, but I still have several games like Burning Rangers from the bundle which I can still sell.

I'm so happy at the moment. PDS is pretty much the last super sought after game for the saturn that I lacked from my library. The sort of games that define the system today. And I didn't pay out the nose for it.
    A retarded Sonic.

Thread Information