Quantcast

Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sega Saturn Mega Thread

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    So after over a decade of waiting patiently, I finally got a factory sealed, mint copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, essentially for $75. See, years ago, when EB Games was liquidating their saturn stock, I got tons of saturn games at stupidly low prices, like Burning Rangers for $30. The very last time I remember buying a saturn game from EB Games, I had a choice between Magic Knight Ray Earth, and Panzer Dragoon Saga, both for $30. I choose MKR because I knew it was the last saturn game released in the US, and figured that, like WD's other games, it'd become a big collectors item. And to a degree, I was right, the game goes for quite a bit online. But a few weeks later, when I went back to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was already sold out. Since then, I've vowed to not pay the outrageous amounts it goes for now because, at one point, I could have gotten it for a reasonable price and I passed on it. Today, I could afford to buy it at the $200 range it goes, but the principle remained.

Which leads me to a few days ago. I saw a craigslist ad selling a sega saturn with a bunch of highly sought after saturn titles in a bundle, for $75. Stuff like Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, etc. Stuff that goes for a lot, that I already had from when EB Games liquidated their stock. Clearly the lady who sold me the games did not buy them herself, nor did she know how much they were worth. I was originally going to just sell them on ebay, but I found a guy who straight up traded me Shining Force III and Guardian heroes for a brand new, sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga. Not only that, but I still have several games like Burning Rangers from the bundle which I can still sell.

I'm so happy at the moment. PDS is pretty much the last super sought after game for the saturn that I lacked from my library. The sort of games that define the system today. And I didn't pay out the nose for it.
    That's awesome. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a strong contender for my favorite game ever, I'm definitely gonna have to get a copy of my own at some point. I'll probably end up paying a ridiculous eBay price, though.

I'm getting a pretty decent tax return this year, so I've been thinking of getting either Suikoden II, Snatcher with the Justifier, or Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    Last edited by jerry coeurl; 04-12-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Master of Shinobi Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I just PMed Anthaemia on SegaSaturn.co.uk and he said his shot that has the HUD and is running in High Res mode comes from a 40% Build of Daytona USA for the Saturn. He said he's a bit too busy right now to go through his archives and get the shots again, but that MadRoms of Satakore is compiling a bunch of beta footage of games to put on a site and that he has the actual video that the shots came from. So the footage will eventually show up there.
    The VDP II version was only for the Tokyo game demo in 1994 . And lets get real here you'll hardly find any PS or Saturn racer running in their High Res modes even at the end of their life's and you'll see very few running in the semi High Res mode and you're expecting a early Saturn game to be running in the Saturn High Res mode and one that's a port of one of the most advanced Arcade games around at the time .

I have shots from a 45% complete Daytona USA (Where the 1st track is complete) and they are not in High Res at all and lots of detail was cut to bring in 40 cars
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    That's awesome. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a strong contender for my favorite game ever, I'm definitely gonna have to get a copy of my own at some point. I'll probably end up paying a ridiculous eBay price, though.

I'm getting a pretty decent tax return this year, so I've been thinking of getting either Suikoden II, Snatcher with the Justifier, or Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    I have snatcher - picked up in 1995 or 1996 when EB Games was liquidating their Sega CD stuff, for like $15. And I already had a Konami Justifier from previously purchasing the Bigbox Sega CD version of Lethal Enforcers.

One of my all time favorite games. I have the PC Engine Duo version as well, and I've played through it, but playing the game with a justifier makes the experience way better. If I had my choice of the above games, though I haven't experienced Saga yet, I'd say go with Snatcher and the Justifier.
    A retarded Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The VDP II version was only for the Tokyo game demo in 1994 . And lets get real here you'll hardly find any PS or Saturn racer running in their High Res modes even at the end of their life's and you'll see very few running in the semi High Res mode and you're expecting a early Saturn game to be running in the Saturn High Res mode and one that's a port of one of the most advanced Arcade games around at the time .

I have shots from a 45% complete Daytona USA (Where the 1st track is complete) and they are not in High Res at all and lots of detail was cut to bring in 40 cars
    Did I say I expected the finished game to run in High Res mode? No. I said there was a prototype that had some trackside detail, and no where near 40 cars on track, that looked to run in high res mode. The shots I'm thinking of the Car looked like the car from the Arcade, but the trackside detail was extremely bland and lacking with minimal texturing. It looked somewhat like the shots in that magazine scan.

If you really want to get real here TA, stop flipping out at the first word in someone's post and actually read their entire post and understand what they said. I'm not saying I think the Saturn could handle a perfect port of Daytona in High Res Mode. I am saying that the shots look like some shots I saw a while back of a high res mode prototype. There is a significant difference there and if you actually would read and think before you post you'd realize this.

Quit putting words in peoples mouths and arguing with them about things they weren't talking about. It's really starting to get old.

Did I say I expected the finished game to run in High Res mode? No. I said there was a prototype that had some trackside detail, and no where near 40 cars on track, that looked to run in high res mode. The shots I'm thinking of the Car looked like the car from the Arcade, but the trackside detail was extremely bland and lacking with minimal texturing. It looked somewhat like the shots in that magazine scan.
    You mean these sorts of Pic's from a 10% and 25% complete Saturn Daytona . With just 16 cars on track Daytona USA looked pretty good

If you really want to get real here TA, stop flipping out at the first word in someone's post and actually read their entire post and understand what they said
    You're the one that's flipping out its seems and You want shots from a 45% complete Daytona USA on the Saturn , its my pleasure here there are

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Those look close to the shots I remember seeing. Though I remember the HUD being significantly smaller. And the Textures on the Hornet in those shots looks significantly crisper than the ones in the actual game. Thanks for posting them. One interesting thing though is if they had the first track running at 30fps in the 45% complete build with most of the details present, what the hell happened to cause it to get lowered to 20fps? Also, it's a bit sad they didn't go for an interesting compromise since they had 2 modes of play anyways. They could have had Arcade Mode have 40 Cars and look the way it did, then they could have had Saturn mode have less cars but look and run much better.

The reason I was getting mad at you however was that you were taking this discussion off topic and arguing with me about things I never said.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 04-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I'm pretty sure those hornet shots are almost identical to the actual Saturn Daytona USA. The Saturn game isn't really that far from the Arcade game visually, technically is where it fell short.

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

What I notice is different immediately is that the roof and trunk of the car are a bit wider and closer to the Arcade. The finished Saturn port the cars look to be a bit scrunched.

What I notice is different immediately is that the roof and trunk of the car are a bit wider and closer to the Arcade. The finished Saturn port the cars look to be a bit scrunched.
    That article says the game was running at 320x224, whereas all Sega made Saturn racers run at 356x224. That could account for the slight horizontal scrunching.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Man, I'm so excited about getting PDS that I actually had a dream about Panzer Dragoon last night, set in that strange barren future from the other games. I can't wait till it gets here, I'm gonna rip through it in one single sitting.

Does it support the NiGHTS pad? Or should I play it with a standard gamepad?
    A retarded Sonic.

It works well with either, I've used both.

Does it actually support analog mode on the NiGHTS pad, or only digital?
    A retarded Sonic.

It's analog, I think it even uses the triggers.

Awesome, I'll give it an initial playthrough with the NiGHTS pad first, then. It's crazy how much that pad can improve certain games. Sonic R, for example, is completely unplayable with a normal controller, but using a NiGHTS pad and steering solely with the analog triggers, it plays really well.
    A retarded Sonic.

Those look close to the shots I remember seeing. Though I remember the HUD being significantly smaller. And the Textures on the Hornet in those shots looks significantly crisper than the ones in the actual game. Thanks for posting them. One interesting thing though is if they had the first track running at 30fps in the 45% complete build with most of the details present, what the hell happened to cause it to get lowered to 20fps? Also, it's a bit sad they didn't go for an interesting compromise since they had 2 modes of play anyways. They could have had Arcade Mode have 40 Cars and look the way it did, then they could have had Saturn mode have less cars but look and run much better.

Those shots are really what Daytona USA looks like now (more so if one plays on a good old CRT display through RGB scart so you get the lovely scan lines ect) They're just taken direct from a development station and so always look that little bit better . As for what happened Daytona USA seemed to be running at 27 fps and full screen fine with just 16 cars on track, to get 40 cars on the same track the frame rate and full screen display took a hit and of course the game wasn't optimised that much, with SEGA shares taking a massive hit on the news, that Saturn Daytona USA would be delayed and so SEGA then hit back with an unbreakable early Spring March street date which was silly looking back but also the making of AM#2 on the Saturn; Who after the slating of the game engine and their Rep AM#2 hit back with the most awesome Arcade conversions in the shape of Virtual Cop 1 ( more or less was the coin up in your home) and the like of VF II and pushed the Saturn .

Virtual Cop is one of the best Arcade ports I've ever played, incredible given the gulf in spec's between Model 2 and Saturn . I just wished it was AM#2 who went back to the Daytona USA rather than the CS Team

The reason I was getting mad at you however was that you were taking this discussion off topic and arguing with me about things I never said
    I simply said the VDP II Daytona USA you talked off , was the one SEGA produced for the 1994 Tokyo game show and yes it looked impressive running in a Higher Res mode and a near Arcade perfect car, but then all the Saturn Polygons could be devoted to just the car and just leave the VDP II to draw the floor and you also didn't have to worry about player output . But tech demo's are one think , getting real game code in there is quite another. To get the Saturn to handle 40 cars on track and the Advanced course (which AM#2 said in a Japanese interview gave them huge issues with the sheer amount of data ) meant Daytona USA suffered badly on the Saturn given the limited time frame AM#2 were allowed.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information