Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding secret character in X-MEN

Default finding secret character in X-MEN

Hi,

I have an unusual question that I cannot seem to find discussed anywhere.

Back in 1994 around when X-Men came out, I played the hell out of that game! At the time, I was an avid user of the Game Genie as well.

Sooo one time I was playing, and got to the part on the first level where you need to hit a lever to open a wall blocking your way. I have no idea to this day what happened, but the on screen character changed to Storm! I was walking around as her and it was such a surreal experience because I was never able to replicate this. I do not believe I was using Game Genie at the time but I remember this happening like it was yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas on how to find out what caused this? There is no secrets or cheat codes I am aware of to play as Storm, and I cant say it was a Glitch because Storm was walking around and not flying like she does when you "call" her. It makes me wonder what other secrets may be hiding in this game?

I looked in TCRF and the only thing it mentions is a level select:
    https://tcrf.net/X-Men_(Genesis)

That level select seems to have been dummied out and requires a Game Genie code to enable again. Maybe there's some more stuff hidden too? I wouldn't be surprised if there's an unfinished Storm there that happened to be brought back with a glitch.

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

Would be interesting to see if someone can find her walking animation if what OP says is true. But alas, not as many have an interest in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I looked in TCRF and the only thing it mentions is a level select:
    https://tcrf.net/X-Men_(Genesis)

That level select seems to have been dummied out and requires a Game Genie code to enable again. Maybe there's some more stuff hidden too? I wouldn't be surprised if there's an unfinished Storm there that happened to be brought back with a glitch.
    The level select works going by my memory. But haven't used it since 1994. Basically once you've done the code, select your character and move right in the danger room where you will immediately see some panels on the wall. Duck jumps through the floor under each panel representing a stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    The level select works going by my memory. But haven't used it since 1994.
    I still have my game genie code books lying around somewhere. I do recall there not being one for changing a character, and being very ecstatic when the Storm glitch happened. I remember the level select, and if I had to guess it was using the Game Genie. At the time, my Game Genie never left my Sega lol

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Yes, the level select works. I've used it to play the later levels on a Nomad.

It would be cool if there was an extra character. I'm sure they left Storm and the other flying characters as non-playable because they could easily circumvent all the platform obstacles. But maybe there is some leftover Storm graphics or something.

I wish they had included a few extras after you finished the game. For example, how about random enemies for each level? I always liked how you could "see" the Danger Room when you were in each level. The Savage Land, for example, you can "see" the platforms disguised as trees and rocks. They could have made a Danger Room practice mode available after you finished the game.

Another cool bonus after finishing the game would be a versus mode. You would pick two of the characters and go into the Danger Room against the other player (or CPU) who had the other two players. You would use one character at a time but could switch like in the main game (or like X-Men vs. Street Fighter). You could either fight in the basic room or choose one of the backdrops from any level with music. You could still use the bonus X-Men as a special attack, maybe change it so Iceman is using an ice ram instead of just making a bridge, for example. I would say make them playable characters but they only have static images, the idea being no new art or music would be needed for the versus mode. Maybe they could also include the bosses as special attacks!

Anyways, hope the extra character can be found.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

Your love for X-Men Genesis is epic, Bones Justice. Love it and how you remind me of things that make this a very well thought out & put together game. Would love to see Melf interview some of the people for this game and discuss this game only one of these days. Maybe ask them if they have any prototypes too while at it.

But what you mean by you can "see" the platforms disguised as tress and rocks? I must of missed these danger room references in stages.

I like the idea of random enemies in each stage for an extra difficulty or second loop. Anything with some randomness adds greatly to replay value.

Your love for X-Men Genesis is epic, Bones Justice. Love it and how you remind me of things that make this a very well thought out & put together game. Would love to see Melf interview some of the people for this game and discuss this game only one of these days. Maybe ask them if they have any prototypes too while at it.
    X-Men was at a high point around the time the first Genesis game was released. Most of the stories in the comics were the ones that have shaped all of the television shows and movies. The animated series was going strong. There was the arcade game, which in my opinion is not as good as the Genesis game because there isn't really any difference between the characters, the story was awful, and the enemies were terrible/repetitive in the worst way. And then there is the Genesis game; it has a great original story that would fit right in with the comics or animated show, great dialogue that matches the characters, solid artwork, rockin' soundtrack, spot-on controls, two player mode, teamwork (up to four X-Men on screen at once even), and especially, each character has different abilities that are true to the character. I've heard the complaint about the mutant power bar but it's true to the stories. Nightcrawler couldn't teleport endlessly in the comics, for example. Wolverine struggled with his aggressive nature. Cyclops has run out of his eye blasts if over-taxed. Gambit tended to fight with his staff, saving explosive cards as his ace-in-the-hole.

But what you mean by you can "see" the platforms disguised as tress and rocks? I must of missed these danger room references in stages.
    The Danger Room originally was a gymnasium for practice against obstacles and robots. After they acquired Shi'ar technology, they added holograms over-top the obstacles to make them look like real-life obstacles and enemies. Look at those trees in the Savage Land -- they have platforms! Strip away the holograms and you are left with the platforms from the Danger Room:

The hologram enemies all disappear in a flash when destroyed. The only real enemy they face, Magneto, doesn't do that, he slumps to the floor instead.

I like the idea of random enemies in each stage for an extra difficulty or second loop. Anything with some randomness adds greatly to replay value.
    It's my only real complaint with the game. To be fair, you could make the same complaint of any great game that you have played for twenty years. I have played it with all the different combinations of characters over the years. It's a great game but I would welcome additional levels or even random levels to give the game a new spark after all this time. Getting someone else to play two player mode with me is about the only new thing the game can offer these days. It's still great but I just know where everything is now. Finding new secrets in the game, like a playable Storm, would be amazing.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

An expansion on the Danger Room would be epic!

So the time that you were able to control Storm, was the character animated or just the still-image of Storm moving around?

If at one point they were going to include Storm, maybe they intended to limit her flight ability to her mutant power bar. Then she would have to jump over platforms when she used it up. Though I can't think of any time she was not able to fly in the comics except when her powers were taken away completely by a weapon that Forge had designed. I haven't read X-Men in many years but that's the way it was when the game was released and Sega seemed to be trying to stay true to the character designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    So the time that you were able to control Storm, was the character animated or just the still-image of Storm moving around
    Storm was standing up, and her arms moved when she walked. I explicitly remember this much. I think her sleeves were waiving around as well. Kudos for the X-Men history lesson I forgot all about Forge. I would be interested to see how to go about finding this. If anyone looks and finds nothing, I would find that interesting as I'm pretty certain I still have the same cart that this happened in. It was a very surreal moment.

I was playing as either Nightcrawler or Wolverine, and my dad was probably playing as Cyclops. We were at the part where you have to hit a lever in a secret area to raise the wall on level 1, I think before the wooden spike platform area- maybe before the Juggernaut encounter. The sound effect started as if someone called Storm. I don't think I saw Storm appear as usual and maybe just the "dust" animation. Could of been a glitch I cannot recall but something did happen on screen. It took my eyes a moment to adjust to seeing my dad's character turn into Storm! I remember the shock of it because we played this game all the time and never has that happened before. I was ecstatic and asked him several times how he did it. He just laughed and I definitely distracted him too much because shortly after he fell off screen was no longer Storm. We were never able to replicate this again, and I never found anything online regarding this. Great times though

From my google searching, it appears that in order to extract sprites from a game you must be playing it and pause. I wish I knew how to look for this

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    From my google searching, it appears that in order to extract sprites from a game you must be playing it and pause. I wish I knew how to look for this
    I've never heard of that, but I'll admit that I have done very little of that kind of thing. The one time I did try to find the graphics in a rom I used TilePro. It took a long time for me to find the sprite I was looking for, but it did work eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I've never heard of that, but I'll admit that I have done very little of that kind of thing. The one time I did try to find the graphics in a rom I used TilePro. It took a long time for me to find the sprite I was looking for, but it did work eventually.
    TilePro, I did see that in passing, I will look into it more. Thank you for the tip!

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Interesting thread, I'd love to think there are still secrets to be found after 20 yrs lol.

I never thought of the stage design as meant to resemble the room, that's very interesting and might help me appreciate it better. I've always had trouble enjoying this game.

Storm: I've had dreams of videogames, could it have been a really vivid dream?

Outrunner

This reminds me that, even though I owned this game twice in my life, I don't currently have it in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    The hologram enemies all disappear in a flash when destroyed. The only real enemy they face, Magneto, doesn't do that, he slumps to the floor instead.
    Shit, that never clicked for me. I just figured they go up in a puff of smoke because "video game rules". But this makes way more sense... Wow.

Being a huge fan of the comic and the game, I agree with everything you said about it, by the way. Except for the need for more content. Or rather, placing any extra content in a 2nd loop. The game is damn near impossible to beat already. Enemies swarm you and they often respawn, and extra health is very rare, making exploration difficult. I still never figured out how you open the hatch to the space shuttle in the Shiar level, I always just use Kurt to teleport over. I have no idea how to damage Juggernaut either, except for calling in support. Can you even beat him in any other way?
    Also, once I ran out of characters to switch to, I tended to use Wolverine and just sit in a blind spot for 10 minutes until he heals back.

Never figured out the rest trick myself. But then again, I very rarely could up to mojoworld anyway.

Some free exploration modes would've been nice. Or some danger room minigames where you fight/shoot orbs and random enemies for a high score.

Thread Information