Quantcast

Thread: 240p test suite for Genesis, Sega CD and Dreamcast

Default 240p test suite for Genesis, Sega CD and Dreamcast

Hello guys,

I am developing this software for the Genesis, Sega CD and Dreamcast. It is a homebrew software suite for video game consoles developed to help in the evaluation of upscalers, upscan converters, line doublers and of course Tv processing of 240p signals.

It has tests designed with the processing of 240p signals in mind, although when possible it includes other video modes and specific tests for them. These have been tested with video processors on real hardware and a variety of displays, including CRTs and Arcade monitors via RGB.

As a secondary target, the suite aims to provide tools for calibrating colors, black and white levels for specific console outputs and setups.

It includes, amongst other things: a PLUGE pattern, Color Bars, Gray Ramp, Grid and Drop Shadow test.

Here is the link with all the information:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

And the downloads:

http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/downloads/list

If you are interested, all you need is either a Dreamcast and a CD-R, a flash cart for the Genesis or a CD-R for the Sega/Mega CD. I want to port it to other platforms which have a viable SDK, and all suggestions are welcome. I intend this tool to be community driven, so shoot with your features, graphics and code =)

Also, all code is open source and available to the public.

Thanks for these Artemio, fantastic toolset should be on every MD/MCD/DC owners list!
    " Do I Get a Coconut? "
    " If We Ever Get Out of this Lieutenant, I'll buy you all the coconuts you can eat! "

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

*bump*

a bit late to the party but I posted about this tool at www.dcemulation.org
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Awesome! Thanks =)

I hope to have some extra time to do a couple of additions and corrections...

I recently got a MD Cart with the testsuite and was impressed.
    Artemio, sincerly thank you for your efforts & for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback Daedalus, I am really glad it is of use =)

Master of Shinobi Thierry Henry's Avatar

Really great program. It should be in everyone's "tool kit" when it comes to optimizing the visuals for your classic consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget his fans.

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

I too love this. I'd love one for the saturn and PS2. I don't want much do I?

One more thing (I'm wearing a dirty Mac), all my settings seem to end up just a little too dark (no matter what screen I'm on); am I doing something wrong perhaps?

Looking forward to testing this on my model 2 sega cd

Thread Information