Besides all the other projects i am working on, i really want to write a Tile and Sprite editor exclusively for the Megadrive. The reason is that most utilities i find are to "simple" or "stupid" but mostly look and feel very dated. I also want to have some special features that i have not found yet in other programs.
I want it to be open source and multi-platform (Linux, Windows and mac) so everyone can use it. It will be written in C/C++ and use GTK+ as a GUI toolkit. Since i use Linux myself, the first version will be linux only.
Here are some of the ideas i have right now:
- Import from BMP, PNG, JPG, etc (not GIF, because it has a patent on the compression)
- Export to RAW and compressed "tile set"
- Export to Sourcecode (C, ASM 68k, ASM GAS)
- Import/Export palettes in RAW or other formats
- Undo and Redo (Partially done)
- Megadrive Color selector (DONE)
- Overview of all Tiles in a Tileset
- Editor with grid to draw and edit tiles (DONE)
- Sprite preview (with all options from the SAT - Sprite Attribute Table)
- Extended editor to edit a Sprite madeup of any size sprite (DONE, but slow for large sprites)
- TitleScreen Editor and "generator"
- Sprite color shifter (shift colors on palette and change sprite color codes to match)
Suggestions by others:
- Import palette from bitmap
- Drawing "flickering trick" tiles using solid color (saved tile is split on export)
- Clicking both mouse buttons at the same time will undo current action
- Middle mouse button select color under cursor (DONE)
- tools selectable with keyboard-shortcut
- one pixel drawing with keyboard
- Normal/Shadow/Highlight colors (DONE)
And a few more i can't think of right now. If you have ideas or features that i should add to the list just leave a message.
EDIT: I just thought about a name, searched on Google and got nothing so i guess it's not in use. What about: Gentile
Link to post with latest version: Gentile 0.07