Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Guess People Are Stealing Games from Redbox...

Retrovertigo Wildside Expert hashiriya1's Avatar

Default I Guess People Are Stealing Games from Redbox...

I have Netflix so I never bothered renting movies from Redbox or Blockbuster Express but
    when games became available at Redbox I thought I would give it a shot because it seems
    a good way to demo a full game for a day.

So today I went to a Redbox machine for the very first time to rent Dirt 3 for PS3.
    It popped out of the machine and I took it back to my car. When I got back to my car to
    check the disc for scratches I realized there was no disc at all! Somebody scanned the disc
    and put a high res printout in the game case. I couldn't believe it! I called Redbox right away
    and told them what happened.They refunded my 2 bucks back to my card
    and they told me to put the 'game' back in the machine.

Redbox needs a new system of detecting their discs if the machine can be fooled
    this easily. If somebody stole the game I am sure they can trace back to who did it,
    and if that person used a stolen credit card or a prepaid credit card, they shouldn't
    have bothered returning it.

Anyway, I thought I would tell you guys that if you rent a game from Redbox, check the
    disc before you leave! This is just purely ghetto.

Master of Shinobi

There will always be someone trying to get something for nothing, and ruining the system for everyone else.

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

I've always thought these machines were a stupid idea. If you rent it with a prepaid credit card then you never have to return the movie/game.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Antiquing Shining Hero QuickSciFi's Avatar

The only benefit such a thief can achieve from this is if he/she is using someone else's credit card. Thanks for posting this story, I sort of laughed a bit inside at, both, the system and the stupidity of the thief; as I honestly believe it was just some kid who's parents allowed him their credit card for a quick $2 rental, and the kid decided it would be more profitable to trade the discs at gamestop for something else. Oh, boy, there are just so many possibilities for what could've been, and that's just why it's so funny to me.

On the other hand, if it was you who actually did it, then you, sir, are a genius (minus the guilt trip).

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    The only benefit such a thief can achieve from this is if he/she is using someone else's credit card. Thanks for posting this story, I sort of laughed a bit inside at, both, the system and the stupidity of the thief; as I honestly believe it was just some kid who's parents allowed him their credit card for a quick $2 rental, and the kid decided it would be more profitable to trade the discs at gamestop for something else. Oh, boy, there are just so many possibilities for what could've been, and that's just why it's so funny to me.

On the other hand, if it was you who actually did it, then you, sir, are a genius (minus the guilt trip).
    Or a prepaid credit card. I don't have a credit card so I buy prepaid Vanilla Mastercard's for most online purchases. All they ask is your postal code. Thats it. They'd have no way of tracing me if I did this.

I do agree though, this idea is clever.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Well, Redbox will charge the full price of the game to the previous renter's credit card now. But if it was a prepaid card, they might just have to eat it.

They may also factor this in as cost of doing business, much like retail stores figure that a certain percentage of inventory will be inevitably stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post

Wasn't me!

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hashiriya1 View Post
    This is just purely ghetto.
    That's the first time I've seen the word "ghetto" used on the Forums. I hear it all the time at work and pretty much everywhere else.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

But if it was a prepaid credit card... Why did they return the case at all???

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    But if it was a prepaid credit card... Why did they return the case at all???

Seriously. If the perp used a prepaid card the only reason I think they would bother returning it is if they had a substantial remaining balance that they didn't want Redbox to gobble up. If he used a stolen credit card, then it makes no sense to return it.

...or it could be some snotnose kid who begged his mom for her credit card while she picked up a pregnancy test kit and a bottle of rum for her loser alcoholic boyfriend at the drugstore where the Redbox machine is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    That's the first time I've seen the word "ghetto" used on the Forums. I hear it all the time at work and pretty much everywhere else.
    For real? I guess I should speak more eloquently!

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

...or it could be some snotnose kid who begged his mom for her credit card while she picked up a pregnancy test kit and a bottle of rum for her loser alcoholic boyfriend at the drugstore where the Redbox machine is located.
    The most likely of scenarios.... But I like it!

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

For real? I guess I should speak more eloquently!
    I didn't mean that in a negative way. In fact, I gave you Rep just for you using the word "ghetto".

I'll be the first to say here's hoping the thief dies soon and in a very painful and horrific fashion. I have no tolerance for that shit.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

So it been over a year, has Redbox done anything??

I've done that before. I ordered Aria of Sorrow from eBay years ago and it turned out to be a pirated card. Then, I rented the real copy of Aria of Sorrow and switched my fake copy with the real one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Thread Information