Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retroinspection: Mega Drive

Megadrive Retroinspection: Mega Drive

As promised, we bring you John Szczepaniak's awesome article on the Genesis, as originally printed in issue #27 of Retro Gamer Magazine. Back in July, John consulted with Sega-16 about the article, and he cited a few of our interviews. We also donated some screen shots, and I must say, the final piece looks great! We've reprinted the article here in its entirety (with John's permission, of course) and even have scans of the actual magazine pages! You know you want to see this, so what are you waiting for? Read the article and enjoy!
    Last edited by Melf; 01-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Nicely written article, it's also nice to see Sega-16 being used as a source.

It was interesting to read in the beginning, explaining how the Mega Drive had it when it was released in Japan. Reading about the Genesis was also interesting, but after that point I didn't get anything on why the Mega Drive was so successful in Europe. The last part pretty much only summed up how great the console is. Didn't get that much more meat on my bones from there, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I think it was nice Sega-16 could contribute to a magazine like this.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

YEAAHHH WE'RE IN A MAGAZINE!

A bunch of bookstores around here used to carry Retro Gamer but haven't for some time now. I was afraid I'd miss this, but thanks to the Internets, I haven't. Win!

Raging in the Streets

So is Retro Gamer a US publication? I've not bought a game magazine in years, so I'm not sure who is what and where and who and which.

My point is, the Master System may have been a freakish little novelty machine in the States and Japan, but most certainly not across Europe. It was Nintendo's attitude towards the region (that still persists today, although Sony are recently eclipsing them in that regard) that made the PAL NES a lame duck, and left Sega with a pre-installed userbase of a couple of million 8-bit units by the time the MD launched in 1990. Add to that the fact that you could play your old games on the new Sega machine as well as the new, super-powerful 16-bit games, and you can see why Sega were the dominant company outside Japan and the States -at least until Sony came along and ruined things.

EUROPE COUNTS, DAMNIT. Aside from that, it's great to see Sega-16 being referenced outside the Net.

Awesome to see some of the more obscure gems like Ranger-X mentioned.

Nice article all around, though I can't help but nitpick on the typical prejudiced statements about the "inferior" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive
    So is Retro Gamer a US publication? I've not bought a game magazine in years, so I'm not sure who is what and where and who and which.
    Retro Gamer is a UK magazine and I believe the writer of this article is South African.

A Sega nutbar. Wildside Expert MegaDrive20XX's Avatar

Megadrive

Solid retrospec by far.

You better believe it, buster!

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori
    Nice article all around, though I can't help but nitpick on the typical prejudiced statements about the "inferior" sound.
    I thought the article was anything but predjudiced against the Genesis/Mega Drive. It never called the sound inferior really, just stated that the hardware itself was inferior which it is. He also mentions that developers worked hard on the Genesis to make everything as good as it was.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Mr. John StretchPanic is a really cool guy. Nice to see his work.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Always at work Nameless One extrarice's Avatar

Gotta love the glamor shots of the MegaDrive in that article. SEXY! That's one thing Sega definitely had over Nintendo - the hardware was a heck of a lot sexier.
    A train station is where a train stops.
    A bus station is where a bus stops.
    On my desk I have a workstation...

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori
    Me too. The comment about it being the choice among poor black people and Latinos rubbed me the wrong way, too. Poor minorities just love "affordable easy-to-play arcade" games! I also don't understand the pushing for a comment about territory lockouts in games, as it's common knowledge (or so I thought) that companies keep software sales separate for regional profits.

The "minorities could afford it" statement was pretty presumptuous and possibly offensive especially since it was kind of unnessary when he could've simply said the system was a more affordable choice for low income families. Why would he have to say, "It's cheap so minorities bought it." I agree it was a mistake.

He's British. What do you expect?

Thread Information