Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shinobi

Thumbs up Shinobi

Segaís seminal ninja series sparked an arcade phenomenon and a franchise thatís lasted several console generations. The Master System was the first of the House of Sonicís machines to get an installment, and it made Segaphiles very happy indeed. Check out our hands-on of the 8-bit port and see why Musashi is the master of stealth.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Do you guys think the SMS port improved upon the arcade version? It did have more features.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I stopped reading after this sentence:

"There are few games in the U.S. Master System library that I can actually say that I like"

There are few people named Doug Jackson that I can say I like.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Yeah, I thought the general tone of the article came off as "If you give this one a real hard look you might find ONE good Master System game." He did figure out that Shinobi is actually a very deep gameplay experience though, most online reviews fail to notice that entirely.

I think Master System Shinobi is the best all around gameplay experience of the home adaptations, I think the addition of the energy bar in Master System Shinobi is great given the slower gameplay in regard to the Arcade original, and I like the weapons upgrades better in this version than the Arcade version.. If PCE Shinobi had the in fighting weapons, bonus rounds, and Level 2, things might be different. NES Shinobi is a completely broken port of Master System Shinobi, and I mean fatally broken, you can get caught in enemies and bounce around until you die.

I have an old comparison write up here, and the pictures and media can be viewed for their respective versions in the My Library page on the new site.

Nice review Doug! Nice to have our boy Jo Musashi on the front page of Sega-16 again.

I found this game complete in box for .99 cents at my local retro game shop back in 2007. I never got a Master System though, so I've never played the game. I've gathered a modest collection of Master System games that I've been able to find out in the wild through the years. I have a Power Base Converter ordered off of Amazon, and it should be here within the next few days. So this article really has me excited to get that baby in the mail box!

I have played the actuall arcade cab back when I was a Kid, and the Sonics Ultimate Genesis version(Thank you Sega!), and I have to say from looking at these screenshots, this is an excellent looking port for an 8 bit system.

The NES port I have played, and I really, really wish I hadn't. That is terrible.

Whenever I play Shadow Dancer I get the impression that the game is a Castlevania IV style of remake for the original Shinobi. The Castlevania series is one of the only reasons for me to own a couple of Nintendo systems, since it's always kind of reminded me of the Shinobi series.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Quote Originally Posted by sheath
    The SMS version has a voice in it.

I agree with Joe, the first sentence of the article doesn't really entice to to read the whole thing. "US Sega Master System library" or [at first] "I didn't care for this game"... doesn't really make me care for the text either. Which is a shame, since overall the arcticle is decent. The whole first paragraph would have suited the text better at the end than the beginning, I guess.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    The SMS version has a voice in it.
    Where is that at? I think I only double checked the regular gameplay when I said the Arcade was the only one with voice.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Do you guys think the SMS port improved upon the arcade version? It did have more features.
    Nah, I got my PBC in the mail today, and I've been playing Shinobi, Thunder Blade, Afterburner, and R-Type all afternoon. Shinobi looks great for an 8 bit port, and the music isn't as bad as people say it is(the track that plays during the bonus stage is pretty good actually). The controls and the slower pace are the dealbreaker when comparing the SMS port to the Arcade original. The controls are much faster in the arcade game. You can fire off shurkins as fast as you want to. The Arcade game is rediculous hard with the one hit death though, so the lifebar is a nice addition. Even though its not as good as the Arcade original, The SMS port is a great game for the Master System/PBC, and one of the best action games of the entire 8 bit era in my opinion.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

I find the Master System version of Shinobi to be fairly dull and disappointing to be honest, nowhere near as good as the classic arcade version. Its still playable though, unlike the terrible NES port, and it was very repectable for the time it was released.

Luckily SMS has Ninja Gaiden on it, which kind of kicks the crap out of the Shinobi port, in fact I'd say I definitely prefer Kenseiden too, Kenseiden is fairly slow paced like SMS Shinobi, and starts out feeling a little unpolished, but after some practice its a very rewarding and in-depth game, with tons to like about it, and a lot of style and atmosphere.

the music isn't as bad as people say it is
    The problem with the music isn't so much the actual quality, its that the game plays the same damn tune for every level, whilst the arcade game had a plethora of great tracks.

I wish Sega would've ported this game to the Genesis. They did port Outrun in 1991 and that game was 6 years old.

At least we got it on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. They could've made it a DLC exclusive, or just never bothered, so we kind of got lucky there. The funny thing is that they turned around on the same disc and removed Shadow Dancer, in favor of Fatal Labrynth. WTF?
    -Drakon

Master of Shinobi

SMS Shinobi is a metric shit ton of awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    At least we got it on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. They could've made it a DLC exclusive, or just never bothered, so we kind of got lucky there. The funny thing is that they turned around on the same disc and removed Shadow Dancer, in favor of Fatal Labrynth. WTF?
    I have never played that one before but they also decided to give us good ole Flicky. Lord, you can never have enough of Flicky.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Good question. I always felt Shinobi in the arcade was a bit too much like Rolling Thunder (not necessarily a bad thing mind you). I kind of like the slower and more calculated gameplay on the Master System.

It certainly kicks the ever-loving shit out of Tengen's NES port.

Glad to see the Master System reviews getting off the ground! I may have to contribute again.

Thread Information