Quantcast

Thread: cdx laser

Wildside Expert

Default cdx laser

I have a broken cdx, plays carts fine, but no disks.
    when disk is inserted, it will move the lens to the inner part of the disk, "dance" a bit there(laser emits red light at this point), and stop. it doesn't spin the disk at any point.
    it was like this for a few years now, but today I replaced the laser (sf-c93). absolutely no change, except that it no longer emits red light(not sure if it even should).
    at this point I'm stuck. I know close to nothing about electronics, and I have no idea what the problem is.
    one thing to note, I'm not the first one to dismantle this thing. when I first opened it, there were fingerprints on the copper shielding, and shielding wasn't soldered to the pcb. there is exactly one(large) piece of copepr shielding, I think there should be another smaller one, but it isn't there. it also misses some little screws, but nothing major.
    any help?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Are you using a Genesis 2/Game Gear adapter or the power supply which originally came with the CDX?

Wildside Expert

no, I'm using ps2 slim power brick, 8.5V, 5.65A +inside. pretty close to original brick voltage and gives way more ampers. shouldn't be a problem there.
    except, I noticed that I cannot power it on from batteries, there is no obvious damage to battery compartment, but it just stays dead with them, works fine with the brick though.

ok, "no red light" was because I forgot to remove protective lead still no dice though, and it's somehow a little faint compared to previous laser.
    there are 4 pots on the upper board, maybe I should try to adjust these?
    they're labeled as follows
    pll p581 224
    e/f.b p501 103
    t.gain p502 222
    t.off p503 104
    however, as I'm not the first to dig in there, I'm not sure they're factory to begin with, and have no idea what to do with them.
    or maybe it's something else entirely, as I noticed today that there is a wire instead of fuse, and battery compartment wires were loose in they sockets(somebody cut them and reattached without soldering). soldered, but still no signs of life with batteries only.
    Last edited by madmonkey; 08-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

Hi I can't help with your laser problem, but I can say that the AC adaptor your using is not good. Go here to see the specs on the CDX ac adaptor:

http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/How...2_aa-s95j.html
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Wildside Expert

please, elaborate why you think so.
    cdx power supply: 9.5V 1.5A tip positive, ps2 power supply: 8.5V 5.65A tip positive.
    I'm using this same power supply with model1+genesis1 combo, and it works just fine, so I really don't think it's power supply issue.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Here is the truth:

Sega Genesis: 5v
    Sega CD: 5v

Both units uses 7805 regulator which accepts arround 6v-16v power supply. How ever, normal consoles takes arround 600mA current.

This means using any 9v-12v 1a power suplly starting to be enough bad as power supply for CDX. How ever, CDX will work with Genesis 9v 850mA power supplly just fine (tho it may wear the power supply and runn it hotter than just Genesis 2).

PS 8,5V 5,65A is way more amperage that CDX will never need to regulate to 5V so it is just fine.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Thread Information